Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera recommendations

Camera recommendations

I'm considering replacing my Canon Rebel. I've had it for years now. I believe it's around 6 MP. Does that really make a difference in smaller photos you just see on your computer? I mean, would I notice a big difference between 6 or 18 MP?

Any suggestions? I'm thinking I'd need to stick with Canon as I have a telephoto lens and a macro which were a couple hundred each. I'm hoping to use them for the new one.

If you have pictures to show from a camera you're suggesting that would be great too.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

All I have is a Canon powershot and I love it all except that you can't turn the flash off by choice. Its auto flash even if you don't want flash. Canons the best though IMO. I've heard a long time ago that anything over 7mp is more than what your eyes can tell the difference between, so more than that is unnecessary. My powershot is 7.1mp and you can see the baby hairs on the skin of my newborn godson's baby pictures. Do you really need pictures where you can make out tiny hairs on a baby's skin? I also have macro shots of spiders that seem hairless to the naked eye but you can see how hairy they really are in the pictures. I won't post those though unless you like spiders.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I love macro shots (though I hate spiders) I'd still like to see it. I took a picture of a fly once and you can see the hairs on it. Very gross lol

I've been thinking about either
    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...1c1cf5eac5en02

or

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...c75946da22en02

The first one apparently has a special now that you get a bag, a flash and a telephoto lens for 700 some dollars. I'm thinking I wouldn't need the extras the more expensive one has?

I always wanted a Nikon, but would my canon lenses fit on it?

I always wanted a Nikon, but would my canon lenses fit on it?
    From what I understand of this you would need an adapter to be able to use a canon lens on a nikon body and even then you will need to use it in full manual mode.

I am a nikonist and would never switch. You will get the same from a canonist. Many who use one or the other brand would never go over to the other and usually the reasons are much the same. My suggestion would be this. If you know of someone with a nikon you are interested in then see if they will allow you to take if for a test run. The same goes for the canon. Try them both out get a feel for them and see which you prefer. You might want to check out adorama as well. They have great deals.

Canon DSLR

Nikon DSLR

I have ordered filters & lenses from these guys and they have arrived in perfect condition & in a timely fashion & I am in Italy.

BTW...the camera that is $850 at future shop can be gotten at adorama for $722.90 & the other is only a $20 difference.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

There's a good website where you can get reviews of cameras by people who have bought them, hang on - it's http://dpreview.com/ - just look under Canon, and you'll see them all listed. It's also a good idea to read the reviews for each on Amazon.com. The big advantage of "more" megapixels is that you can take better images, and even ones from farther away, and it'll still be usable if you crop it down. More is, frankly, always better than less, just in case you want to print it some day, or something!
    I've Been Frosted

Well the one I considering more has a deal on right now
    http://www.futureshop.ca/EN-CA/product/id/10175986.aspx

It seems like a pretty good deal. The flash is $100 on it's own and the lens is probably over $200.

I'll look around for better deals before I decide for sure. I don't know anyone with any cameras like this for me to borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight View Post
    BTW...the camera that is $850 at future shop can be gotten at adorama for $722.90 & the other is only a $20 difference.
    I wonder though after shipping would it be about the same?

I have a Nikon and wouldn't trade it for the world. As Michelle said though, Canonists are loyal to their Canons and Nikonists are loyal to their Nikons.

If you do consider a Nikon though, I have this one.

Nikon D5000

You can find it cheaper elsewhere. I ordered mine from Wal-Mart and got it for like $700 I believe.

Here's some samples I've taken (some have been edited for clarity/brightness, that sort of thing).
    No Flash

Flash
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I wonder though after shipping would it be about the same?
    I know that shipping to Italy wasn't bad. They do a bulk rate so say anything upto 5 kg is the same cost. The shipping for me was only $15.00. You do have to figure the exchange rate in there but on the $850 you have to add your provincial sales tax & gst. I don't know where you are in Canada but that could be anywhere from 7% - 19%. 7% would be an extra $59.50 whereas 19% would be an extra $161.50 so it could be anywhere from $910-$1010. Price in Canadian on the adorama one would be $705 CAD without shipping and even if with shipping it is $800 it would be $780 CAD which is atleast $130 less.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I'm no help in recommending as I'm looking myself - sorry to hijack your thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

I've found myself wanting to try Nikon after having a Canon for years...it's a Rebel XTi and it's been a great camera. It's still a great camera I just feel like the newer SLRs have so many new features and I can't help but want one.
    The one I've been looking at is the Nikon D5100, any thoughts? I don't know Nikon but I've been looking online all night at it seems to have good reviews and a lot of the features of the D7000 but quite a bit less money.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    I'm no help in recommending as I'm looking myself - sorry to hijack your thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

I've found myself wanting to try Nikon after having a Canon for years...it's a Rebel XTi and it's been a great camera. It's still a great camera I just feel like the newer SLRs have so many new features and I can't help but want one.
    The one I've been looking at is the Nikon D5100, any thoughts? I don't know Nikon but I've been looking online all night at it seems to have good reviews and a lot of the features of the D7000 but quite a bit less money.
    Since it's the newer version of the D5000, I would totally recommend it. My D5000 is great, and I can only imagine it's gotten better with the upgrade to the D5100.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Thanks it does look like a great camera. Now I'm thinking of getting a Canon since I already have two lenses for it and it'd be quite a bit cheaper since I wouldn't have to buy lenses. Any thoughts on the EOS Rebel t3i?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    Thanks it does look like a great camera. Now I'm thinking of getting a Canon since I already have two lenses for it and it'd be quite a bit cheaper since I wouldn't have to buy lenses. Any thoughts on the EOS Rebel t3i?
    I actually did a lot of research on the t3i as that is what I was going to buy. I ended up getting the t2i because it's almost the same at the t3i. The main differences in the two are the t3i has the flip screen, takes slightly better low light photos and takes better quality movies. I personally didn't think it was worth the extra $100 or so, so I went with the t2i. I also stuck with canon because I have 2 lenses.

Nothing beats out my waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, dustproof FujiFilm XP20 and Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 Perfect for a clumsy adventurous person and I love it. I love my Olympus, it still works fantastically, but it was a bit out of date. The XP20 is 14 megapixels as opposed to 10 and it has alot of cool settings. It's also built alot better for water, although they both get the job done in the waterproof department. They're little point and shoots, but overall, I wouldn't ever get anything else.