View Poll Results: What do you use?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frontline TopSpot/Plus

12 41.38%
  • Advantage/K9 Advantix

6 20.69%
  • Flea Pill (Comfortis, Program, Sentinel, Capstar)

4 13.79%
  • Revolution

4 13.79%
  • Natural Flea Prevention (Diat. Earth, Garlic, etc.)

2 6.90%
  • Other (Please specify)

8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What method of flea control/prevention do you use?

What method of flea control/prevention do you use?

I'm just wondering what everyone uses. I've been thinking about trying out food grade diatomaceous earth, or trying another brand of flea medicine.

We've been using Frontline, but it's expensive, and now the cheap brand called "PetArmor" is apparently going to be discontinued and has been causing a lot of pets some issues.

So, what do you use?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Dogs get Frontline Plus, and garlic in their meal.

Cats are on Revolution.

Been 15 years for the cats, 5 for the dogs, no issues.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I've used Advantage or Advantix on the Fuzzbuttz for the past several years. However, this year I used nothing and neither one of them had a single flea. Go figure. But I'm not complaining, since it is rather expensive - even buying it on line from Australia.

Years ago when I had my 3 Lhasas, I only used garlic powder in their food, and that worked for them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I use Revolution on the cats - not just for the flea protection though. It works against heartworm, and a bunch of other parasites. Four of our cats go outside and the Revolution protects them. As for the indoor cats - our Vet pointed out to me that in North Carolina a study showed that 25% of indoor cats were infected with heartworm. Mosquitoes can get inside and bite.

Nothing, there's not a problem with fleas in Utah. I'm a groomer and I've seen maybe 10-15 dogs with fleas in over 9 years of grooming....the vast majority being dogs that came from out of state or were around an animal from out of state. That's one reason I don't think I could live anywhere else (and definitely not be a groomer anywhere else I couldn't handle all the fleas and ticks ew).

Frontline or advantix and only when needed. The only time my cats get fleas are at the vets.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I chose other. I use no chemicals unless they have more than a few fleas in a short timespan and then I will use frontline. I've used it once on one dog this year.

I do however use a flea comb to check their coats after an outing. Fleas are common where I live I think because I'm across the field from a local dog park. I may find as little as one adult flea on one of the dogs and comb through their whole bodies and find no others. I prefer to catch them early before they can reproduce and before I even find any flea poop on them. I haven't had a full infestation with these dogs ever.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

When we first adopted Snow, she had a huge flea problem (multiple flea baths, even the house had to get exterminated.. ) Ever since then we've used Advantage for her and it works great! Not a single flea, thank god.

RIP Sally

Colorado does not have many fleas or ticks. I have Kirk on Sentinel right now, but when I'm back in Hawaii that will surely change. He will need to be on an adulticide of some kind, most likely topical.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Frontline Plus for the dogs. I only use it every other month in the summer.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Frontline Plus for the dogs. I only use it every other month in the summer.
    Same here. I usually only apply it before they go to my brothers house when we are out of town. They have ticks out there too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Even though all of my cats are indoor only, I've been using Advantage on them every month for many years. When I didn't, they would get fleas. I live in a condo and there are other animals close by. If they have fleas then my cats will get them too. I have to use it year round because the weather is very mild here in CA. I also buy the largest dog advantage and then I measure it for my cats. This saves me a lot of money and it's been preapproved by my vet. In fact one of my former vets was the one who recommended doing this to help save me money.

I think we might try out Advantage for the cats now as it is slightly cheaper than Frontline and there isn't a high chance of them getting ticks since they are indoor only...

Might try out the Advantage on the dogs too, but I'm not sure if I want to risk the possibility of not killing ticks, though I don't think they are going to be a problem unless I take them in the woods or something, which I doubt I will do.

I'm also very jealous of all of you that don't have major flea problems where you live . They are awful here, even in the winter time.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    . . . I also buy the largest dog advantage and then I measure it for my cats. This saves me a lot of money and it's been preapproved by my vet. In fact one of my former vets was the one who recommended doing this to help save me money.
    I'm surprised that a vet would recommend such a practice, as I have always heard that using DOG flea/tick meds on a CAT would cause severe illness and could prove fatal.

For years I have used Frontline Plus exclusively on my cats but only during the mild months. Once the weather turns frigid I discontinue until springtime. It costs a small fortune to do so many cats, but is worth it as I have never had a flea or tick infestation.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    . . . I also buy the largest dog advantage and then I measure it for my cats. This saves me a lot of money and it's been preapproved by my vet. In fact one of my former vets was the one who recommended doing this to help save me money.

Quote Originally Posted by AvaJoy View Post
    I'm surprised that a vet would recommend such a practice, as I have always heard that using DOG flea/tick meds on a CAT would cause severe illness and could prove fatal.

For years I have used Frontline Plus exclusively on my cats but only during the mild months. Once the weather turns frigid I discontinue until springtime. It costs a small fortune to do so many cats, but is worth it as I have never had a flea or tick infestation.
    I've had a vet do the same thing also. The large dog flea medicine is in the same percentage as the cat flea medicine. The dog just gets up to 5 times more. I can't remember right now. So I used a syringe sans needle with some left over. I had two cats at the time so I am thinking I might have had one dose left over. The stuff does not evaporate either. It saved me a lot of money when I was out of work.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)