Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yowling before throwing up?

Yowling before throwing up?

Does anyone else's cat do that? My Lily does that every time before she's getting sick, like tonight, when she threw up her food - and a big hairball!
    It's a loud, painful cry, and meanwhile, I know what it means - time enough to make her leave the carpet. It's such a heartbreaking sound!

Luna, btw, doesn't do that. The only exceptions were when she once got sick at the vet's (in her carrier), and when she was so terrible ill in March 2009 that she couldn't stop vomiting for days. I suppose her stomach hurt terribly from the constant vomiting, and she cried in pain (not as loud as Lily, but more miserable). Needless to say, it's been one of the most horrible nights I've ever been through.

Reese does it - sounds like she's dying. Abby sometimes has a small yowl, but not like Reese.

We had Phineas - big, gorgeous, orange and white love bug. He'd go out and eat grass and then puke. And he made the most awful noises before each barf.

I actually don't mind the noise so much - as you said it gives us time to spread some paper underneath. It's those silent hairballs that drive me nuts

Freckles used to do that. Gave me time to jump up and move her from the carpet to the kitchen linoleum. Easier to clean up.

Mario will do that. He lets out what we call the saddest sound on earth (except when he makes a similar yowl during bathtime). He sounds like he's being tortured, and then he hacks something up and walks away. Makes the same noise if he can't find me, and rarely, when he is scared.
    The pups

The Kitty Krew

"Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." - Dean Koontz, False Memory

Missy makes the most awful yowling noises before she throws up. It makes the hairs stand up on your neck!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Poor babies! They do make heartbreaking sounds, don't they? I bet they hate throwing up, or maybe it even scares them. And who could blame them?

Yes, 2 of mine do this. Thank goodness I've been able to find a food brand which cuts down on hairballs!

Yes, Storm does this. I think that he's the only one. Sky is usually the silent barfer but sometimes he'll make a strange face with is tongue sticking out before he barfs. Ziggy will just explode when she barfs so she never gives any warning. Sky and Ziggy are my scarf and barf kittes so it's usually just food not hairballs that they're throwing up.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    None of my cats ever did this, but one of my son's RB cats did. He would let out with the most ungodly sounding yowl, that you would think he was about to die. At least it gave us time to get him off the carpet or furniture tho. He'd hack and barf away, then go about his business like nothing happened.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Tigris did it. I am sure it sounded worse then it felt because he was famous for getting a hairball out and asking for food immediately after

moosmom has a wonderful word description of the pre-barf sounds many cats make: "urka urka urka..."
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Diamond yowls before horking up a hairball; it alerts me to get some paper towels!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

My only cat who pukes is Mac, and he's a silent scarf and barfer. All the better to make you step on his "deposits" on the carpet in the middle of the night!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Ralph Syracuse would go: WOE WOE WOE before he would throw up. It was like the general alarm and I appreciated him doing that, I could gather up my cleaning material.
    Nine is Fine!!

Oh yes, all of my cats yodel before vomiting. It's how I know to run and get the paper towels and cleaning solution.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11