Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What smart phone do you have?

You could pre-order an iphone 5, couldn't you?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I have the HTC Incredible through Verizon Wireless. I was thinking about waiting till they had the IPhone, but the Android had me hooked when I played with it in the store. I love it!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by dab_20 View Post
    I actually heard on the news the other day that they are now making it so that when you call 911 they will be able to tell where you are on a cell phone. Just a kind of GPS system I guess.
    You are right. Many smartphones have Enhanced 9-1-1 enabled automatically. It's on my droid and it's a feature that can't be shut off.

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/servi...1/Welcome.html

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/cellping.asp
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It's a bad idea to get rid of your land line, as if you dial 911 from a cell phone, they have no idea where you are, but if you dial it from a land line, their computer system can always find you!
    I haven't had a land line in years. I think most people can agree that the need to have a land line to call 911, just in case, is pretty remote. However, I have used my CELL phone to call 911 often- to report accidents, situations that the police should be aware, etc. I have my CELL phone with me at all times. A land line? It is only in one fixed location. I have also used my CELL phone to call 911, while inside my house.

Poor land line phone companies. The monopoly they enjoyed for so many years is just gone.

I have a landline, and a Blackberry Pearl for my business (and some personal).

Just voice and text. That's it. Works great for me!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I haven't had a land line in years. I think most people can agree that the need to have a land line to call 911, just in case, is pretty remote. However, I have used my CELL phone to call 911 often- to report accidents, situations that the police should be aware, etc. I have my CELL phone with me at all times. A land line? It is only in one fixed location. I have also used my CELL phone to call 911, while inside my house.

Poor land line phone companies. The monopoly they enjoyed for so many years is just gone.
    You live in an area where coverage must be pretty good, no matter where you are. That's not the case for everyone. You are also relatively young, but when an elderly person has a stroke or fall and cannot speak, the cell phone is of limited help.
    I've Been Frosted

@Karen- well, I do appreciate the 'relatively young' part. If an elderly person has a stroke or a fall, chances are good they aren't standing up, walking 30 feet to the land line and placing a call to 911. A cell phone would be a much better bet, it is small, portable and easy to use.

Its 2011, most of us don't live in the wild boonies of no cell service. Most of us don't fall or have a stroke, and if we do, well...we aren't getting up to call 911. I would still kick the land line to the curb. I did, and haven't ever looked back. I am also pretty eager and open to change. For my age.

@Karen- well, I do appreciate the 'relatively young' part. If an elderly person has a stroke or a fall, chances are good they aren't standing up, walking 30 feet to the land line and placing a call to 911.
    Most of the elderly I have dealt with over the years have a phone in every room of the house, for example, one by the bed (frequent fall zone) one on the kitchen table, one near their living room chair, and that physical "land line" can be used to pull the phone closer to them (and snagging it with a cane has been brought up, too). And they've thought about this, every one that I have known, and have a big button or preset for 911. I still advise any elders to get and carry a (charged) cell phone for whenever they exit their own door, but many of them rarely do, anyway.

Look at the map some time, that the cell phone companies use to brag about their coverage, and you'll still see large swaths of the country get little to no coverage. And where we live, coverage can be blocked in certain areas by buildings, hills, etc., even though every map will tell you we get service everywhere here.
    I've Been Frosted

I currently have a Samsung Fascinate - I have Verizon - Hate it - so once the iPhone 5 comes out - I will be switching to AT&T and to the iPhone.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I don't know any elderly person that has a phone in every room in their house. We must be more frugal here in the midwest. LOL.

I don't know any elderly person that has a phone in every room in their house. We must be more frugal here in the midwest. LOL.
    Or have bigger/more rooms!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    At 67 I suppose I have to be considered "elderly". I still have a land line, but only because I have to have it for the Rescue Alert system that I have. I don't have a phone in every room - I have a phone in my bedroom as I have always had, and the main one with the answering machine and the alert monitor is in the kitchen. No large buttons!!! I have my cell, but never think to take it with me when I just go outside in the yard, but my panic button for the alert system is always with me and has a 600' range. When I fell on the ice at the end of my driveway and fractured my hip, I didn't have this system, and if someone hadn't seen me laying there in the freezing rain, I would have been there till the family got home from work. I don't trust my cell in an emergency out here in the semi-boonies. Sometimes reception is good, other times, not.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I have the Droid, and LOVE it. I hated my crackberry. I have Verizon, and get near perfect reception, rarely drop a call (unless it is because of the touch screen being touched by my fat face), and can't believe how much simpler life is with a 'smart' phone. Makes me smarter, I swear. I have my calendar on it, it links through google, so it is backed up daily. I like conveniences, like microwaves, toaster ovens, coffee makers, pre-set radio station buttons, a/c, etc. Could I live without them? Sure, but why would I want to?

Pom- you aren't elderly. You are elderly/NR. If you ever look at the real estate ads, you should get that one quickly. LOL.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Pom- you aren't elderly. You are elderly/NR.. If you ever look at the real estate ads, you should get that one quickly. LOL.
    I don't look at real estates ads, but let me guess; elderly/No Rugrats??

And my son loves his Droid too. I can't believe all that it can do. Too much for me..........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Been playing with my droid 3 for a few days now.

LOVE IT!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018