Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first earthquake........

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

My first earthquake........

I just experienced it - and I'm in central Delaware. The house started rocking, and did so for about 15 seconds. Scared the daylights out of me - we DON'T have earthquakes here. I called 911 - took me about 10 minutes to get thru and I asked if there were reports of a quake in the area, and he verified a quake but didn't know anymore - said he had about 500 lines all lighting up at the same time. He asked if we had any damage or injuries, which thankfully we didn't. Then just a few minute ago, saw on t.v. that the quake was in Richmond, Va - that's 200 miles from here and we still shook.

I'm still shaking like a leaf...............
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Its all over the news on CNN, glad your okay.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

There was also one in southern Colorado today! Glad everyone is safe!
    I've Been Frosted

We also had one too, central PA!

Crazy...my first one too!

Just finished reading about it in the news. Glad you guys are ok, everyone else too?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Felt it here in my office in North Central Pennsylvania. I had just stood up from my desk to walk out of my area. I have never ever experienced one before either. I hope we do not get another or an after shock.

Felt it in Bethlehem,PA. I am home alone and at first thought it was my central air exploding. My 2 kitties ran like I have never seen before. They were hiding under the bed.

I felt it here too, in Allentown, PA. My house shook twice. I didn't know if it was another gas explosion up the street, or if it was indeed a quake. Friends of mine who live out of state said it was a quake in the DC area. I'm just surprised we felt it up here. Guess I didn't think it would travel that far!!

Quote Originally Posted by mathteach View Post
    Felt it in Bethlehem,PA. I am home alone and at first thought it was my central air exploding. My 2 kitties ran like I have never seen before. They were hiding under the bed.
    I am wondering what my cats did. They do not seem to be bothered by thunder and lightning. Wish they could talk so I could ask them about it when I get home.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Said this one was felt as far away as Martha's Vineyard.

High rise office buildings in Wilmington and Phila have been evacuated as a precaution. Guess they want to check for structural damage, since buildings in this area aren't built to withstand quakes.

Hope there's no aftershocks - can't take this much "excitement"!

DIL just called - she works at the big Walmart distribution center about 5 miles from here. Said some tractor trailers in the lot went over, and they are checking the building for damage. It's a monstrous place in size!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I didn't feel it here in Fort Wayne, Indiana (northeast IN) but my friends and family said they felt the shaking in Lafayette, IN (my hometown). Lafayette is about an hour northwest of Indianapolis.

Friend who works at Pentagon posted on FB that they evacuated... and were relieved to hear it was ONLY an earthquake! I can only imagine what was going through their heads, especially those who experienced 9/11! She said they had some water line leaks and flooding.

Stay safe everyone. Sounds like it's been a crazy day for Mother Nature: earthquakes and hurricanes!
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

I'm just catching up on the news, heard we had 2, both in areas which rarely get them.

Glad you are OK, Ellie!

I work just outside of Pittsburgh and definitely felt it here in my office. We just moved our offices from the 3rd floor of our building up to 11...I want to go back to 3!!!!!!!! Still a little freaked out but calming down now....

Didn't feel a thing. Brian texted me and said "Holy smokes did you feel that?" feel what? EARTHQUAKE? Oh... Nope didn't feel it. we were on a tractor drawn wagon ride going through a cow pasture when it happened. we were already rocking and shaking more than the ground was lol when he told me I just looked up at the cattle in the field we were in and they were grazing as if nothing happened so I figured there wasn't much to worry about lol

Everyone around the area is talking about it and I have nothing to add because we completely missed it. I know my mom felt it up in Ontario though.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I just experienced it - and I'm in central Delaware. The house started rocking, and did so for about 15 seconds. Scared the daylights out of me - we DON'T have earthquakes here. I called 911 - took me about 10 minutes to get thru and I asked if there were reports of a quake in the area, and he verified a quake but didn't know anymore - said he had about 500 lines all lighting up at the same time. He asked if we had any damage or injuries, which thankfully we didn't. Then just a few minute ago, saw on t.v. that the quake was in Richmond, Va - that's 200 miles from here and we still shook.

I'm still shaking like a leaf...............
    Omg. I live in Delaware too! I'm home alone with my little sister, & the house started shaking. I thought it was just a big truck going by or something, but then my sister started screaming, & I realized something was happening. It didn't even occur to me that it might be an earthquake because we never have earthquakes here. I looked outside, & the water in my pool was shaking. It was over in a matter of seconds. I called my dad & he said he felt it in Newark (by the way, I live in Bear). I turned on the news, & they said there was a 5.9 earthquake in Mineral, Virginia, & it was felt from North Carolina to Manhattan! It was crazyyy. I called FOX 29 news & told them I felt it here. Crazy stuff...but kind of exciting
    -Melanie

Daisy, Maggie, Charlie, Teddy, Honey, Bear, Twinkie, Chester, Osiris, Vizzini, Genevieve, Dimitri, Charlotte, the chickens, Maya, Dragon, & Peaches

"Animals are such agreeable friends; they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." -George Elliot