Thread: Happy foster story w/pics!

Hybrid View

Happy foster story w/pics!

Here is Alyssum, my sister in law's foster fail! My SIL is a vet tech, and this little lady came into her hospital after her owner's house was foreclosed. The owner left his six dogs in the backyard. Grr...

When Alyssum arrived at the hospital, she was around seven months old...emaciated, FULL of foxtails, she had a HUGE abscess on her butt, she wasn't spayed, and most of her hair was gone due to malnourishment.

Here she is after a week or so of love, good food, and surgery to spay her and remove the foxtail from her giant abscess:

As you can see, she took to my sis in law right away.

After a few more weeks of good food, a second surgery to remove yet MORE foxtails, and a thorough grooming, she's a different dog...She's staying at my place for the time being until my SIL finds a home for her OTHER foster dog...he's big and VERY VERY rambunctious, so we're worried that he might accidentally hurt her. She's pretty much 100% now, though her left eardrum was so badly infected and ruptured from foxtails that she will probably never regain hearing on that side.

Alyssum is still a little nervous, but Jasper is helping her come out of her shell. She likes to follow his lead. If we take her outside by herself, she just looks around, then sits in a bush or under some other cover. If we take both dogs down, she follows him...pees when he pees, poops when he poops...it's pretty funny, actually. She's finding some confidence, and I think she's going to wind up dominant over Jasper once she's grown up! She's already confident enough to take his toys out of his mouth, and he doesn't seem to mind at all.

She's VERY bouncy and loves to play. She's also not *quite* housebroken, so she doesn't get to play as much as she'd like, but she's VERY smart, and she'll be housebroken in no time. Since other dogs really seem to bring out the best in her, we're eagerly awaiting her vaccines to be finished so she can go visit with them in public places!

Anywho, here are her 'after' pictures!

Isn't this the happiest face ever?

I kept saying Awwww....awwww...awwww as I was reading. Love the last pic. She is adorable.

How can someone just leave and not take their dogs!

You are an angel for taking her in.

Kudos to you SIL! Do you know what happened w/ the other 5? Sure hope they found loving homes.

That first pic of Alyssum, she is so sad and wary, I just want to cuddle her and tell her it is OK now! Of course, when they are wary like that, the LAST thing they want is a hug, ha haaa.

Different dog by the end!

Alyssum, you only got ONE white sock! *giggle*

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Awww - she's adorable. Of course I'm a sucker for terrier mixes, and she reminds me of my RB Cinnamon. I'm so glad that she now has a happy furever home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

She is so adorable!!
    I have to ask though, does your SIL have any other dogs besides the current foster? If she is following Jasper so closely, how do you think she'll do as an only dog....if that's the case?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That IS the happiest face ever! She looks so much better in the "after" photos! Hi, Alyssum, cutie! I am sure you'll finish your house-breaking training successfully and when you are current on your vaccines, all kinds of neat things will start to happen!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    She is so adorable!!
    I have to ask though, does your SIL have any other dogs besides the current foster? If she is following Jasper so closely, how do you think she'll do as an only dog....if that's the case?
    She doesn't, but she only lives half a block away, so if Alyssum is unhappy being an only dog, she'll be able to spend QT with Jasper, at our house or hers, almost every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Kudos to you SIL! Do you know what happened w/ the other 5? Sure hope they found loving homes.
    I know all of the dogs were pulled form the home, but AFAIK it was by individuals, not rescues. Alyssum was surrendered to the hospital because her rescuer coudn't afford the car she needed to get healthy. I think that person has another dog from the home though.

Awww, it's like night and day from that first scared, hunched over baby to the last smiling, nicely brushed and healthy-looking smiling girl!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    What a happy girl she is now. You can see the contentment in her face. What breed or breeds is she?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    What a happy girl she is now. You can see the contentment in her face. What breed or breeds is she?
    We think she's got cavalier, poodle, and maybe some kind of terrier in her?

Aww, I'm glad to see she has a good home now. I love the last picture!

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

What a great story!! I am just glowing by the outcome of this sweet girl! She looks absolutely amazing now- her beautiful thick coat, bright eyes, and confident stance. Great job on your SILs part. I would fall in love with her, too

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*