View Poll Results: How long did it take you to potty train your puppy?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 1 month

13 56.52%
  • 1 to 2

3 13.04%
  • 2 to 3

3 13.04%
  • more than 3

4 17.39%

Thread: How long did it take you...

How long did it take you...

I have a puppy and I'm curious, how long does it take to house break puppies?
    Last edited by Puppypower64; 11-07-2002 at 06:51 PM.

I used a crate to house train Bandit. He had one accident out of the crate, and one accident in the crate. I was going out with him every two hours (yes...I even made him go out in the middle of the night) for the first couple weeks. I didn't wait for him to tell me he had to go - we just went. Often. He got the idea, quickly. I would say 2-3 weeks and I could trust him to not go in the house when we were there, a few more weeks and I could trust him to be alone in the house and not go inside. I would definitely use a crate if I were you.

It took Bull about a week to realize that he can't go potty in the house (he was an outside dog before we got him) but after that he was pretty good about waiting til he was let out.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

my 2 pups are really outside dogs because they really like outside.......so neither one are fully trained....well they are but they wont hold it like sum will if they have to go......

Kay

FcR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

About 3 weeks with Seven because he was so young when I got him. He's pretty expressive and found a way to let me know he needs to go out. Even at 5 months, he would just come sit right in front of me staring in my face until I said "you need to go outside?", then he would wiggle around and run towards the door.

Just make sure that when you take your dog out, take him/her to the same spot and wait for them to go. I used to say "go poopy" over and over again when he was young and then really praised him when he went finally did.

As a grown up guy, it's sometimes embarassing to get telling your dog to "go poopy" when girls walk by, but as long as I don't have little "gifts" left in my house while I'm at work, I'll suck up the embarassment.

Much luck.

Hee hee - we tell the office dog "Okay, do your thing ..." Slightly less embarrasing than "poopy" but it works!

We say "doodies'' wich isn't much better than "hee-hee"!

annie and odie never have gone in the house i dont know when i got them i just out them outside every hour on the hour and watched them constently when they were in, they still never gone in the house it takes awhile but it pas of

All my crew but one learned in less than one month, though the Lab I rescued was already house trained when I got her. My ACD was house trained within a week. The exception is my Sheltie, who took about 10 weeks to become house-trained, and even now, at 6 years, still won't wait long when she says she needs to go. She's not known for her smarts, though. My male Kerry was known to leave "messages" if I made him mad at me, usually when I left him at home when he thought he ought to go with me, but this was much more involved with his stubbornness.

Mac