Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaskan Malamutes and Bernese Mountain Dogs

Alaskan Malamutes and Bernese Mountain Dogs

I'm very interested into learning more about these two breeds. I am wanting a medium sized to big sized dog to be at home with me while Mike is out working/traveling. I think I would feel more comfortable and at ease knowing I have a dog that can protect me or at least alert me for any reason. So, any information would be great. I did a recent dog matchup quiz and those were the top two that I was given. The past breeds I've had were mostly Beagle mixes and a Siberian Husky. I have thought about a Husky but, we most likely won't have a fenced in yard as well. I would like to be able to have a dog who can do well off-leash and at least be able to obey and listen at all times. A little distraction would be OK. Then again, any information would be great - if you have owned one of the breeds, please share your experiences as well.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

A malamute is just as likely to wonder off as a husky. If you've managed with beagles and huskys you should know what you have to do to keep them secured.

As for the berner, unfortunately their average lifespan is now 7 years due to a major increase in cancer in the past decade. That means they finally are solidly mature and trained by 2, and at 4 they are seniors. They are however good for being trained not to wonder off as they are draft and guradian dogs made for sticking around the property. Strong training is a must for this breed. You aren't a first time dog owner, but you haven't had a giant breed, so I think one of the main things you have to ask yourself is are you prepared for hip dysplasia and a short lifespan? If not, maybe a giant breed is too much.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Maybe a German Shepherd would be a better match, as she said, Malamutes are as prone to wandering as Huskies, as they were pretty much bred for the same job! Great Pyrenees also are guard dogs for sheep, but as a giant breed have the shorter lifespan than Shepherds, for example.
    I've Been Frosted

Malamutes aren't really guardy the ones I have met have been big love bugs with all people but can be protective of their family like any dog. Plus, they were bred to run so I wouldn't trust them off-leash...ever. They need a job too, they can't just be cool with walks they need more than that. They are VERY high energy. I wouldn't say they live to just 7 that isn't true, I have seen these dogs live a long time up to 15 even. Cancer is hitting dogs of all breeds more and more lately not just Malamutes and it sucks.

Where are you located? There is a very awesome Malamute Rescue by me that my shelter works with.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

My grandma was an experienced breeder of Alaskan Malamutes.. She owned 5 adults and had several litters of pups.. She always told me, since I was a young girl, that owning a malamute is like owning a mythical creature.. With a brain of a wolf/dog, but a body and coat like a bear. They make for a VERY interesting breed of dog.. They have a HIGH prey drive, some are okay with small animals, but in a pack setting these dogs may attack and kill other animals.. cats, other dogs, small wild animals, and even deer!!! These dogs cannot be trusted off leash.. UNLESS they are running in the bush.. but keep in mind if they see a wild animal they will chase it....
    I would recommend at least a 6 ft high fence, and at least 2 feet of the fence buried in the ground so that they cant dig out of the yard.. I once got dragged down the street for about 45 feet by our old malamute.. ohh yeah full body burn from the cement ....
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Interesting. Nothing yet about Bernese Mt. Dogs? I decided to leave out Alaskan Malamutes. I'm not sure about German Shepards. They have quite A LOT of health issues. I just kind of want to experience owning a new breed, really. Mike is actually encouraging me to get a Chocolate or Yellow Labrador Retriever. (He's never owned any different breeds than Labs) So we'll see what happens.
    To answer someone's question, I'm in the Cleveland area. And, I think we may end up with a house we put a offer on - so it has 3 acres - no fence, though.
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Irescue posted about the Bernese Mountain Dogs - reread her post. Sweet as can be, but prone to certain cancers, so shorter lifespans.
    I've Been Frosted

The Bernese Mountain dogs I've seen have been very sweet dogs, but I have not known one personally. It is actually a breed my mom was interested in when we were looking to add a dog but I was stuck on collies .

Anyway, I did find this site. Maybe you could ask some questions there, or at least browse through posts with info.

http://www.bernertalk.com/

Some breeders are very willing to educate about their breed as well and tell you all the good and the bad.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Maybe I shouldn't have refered to them as "berners" since my whole post is getting confused as being about malamutes. I don't think shepherds have too many health problems compared to malamutes and bernese mountain dogs. How much time do you have to work with a dog? Do you want a 1 family dog basically? How about like an Australian cattle dog? You can play frisbee on your 3 acres and the dog will certainly alert you if an intruder comes by. Its not as big as a bernese mountain dog by far but it has the tenacity.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

The only Bernese Mountain Dog I have ever met is a Theray Dog for Kids. Very sweet natured and always at her owner side even off leash.

http://www.ctac.cat/portal/index.php?sect=1&lang=en

http://www.ctacgirona.com/CTAC_GIRONA/Benvinguts.html
    ( In case you wonder what lenguage it is, is Catalan)

I would go for a German Shepherd Dog. Lived alone in the country for a few months with the family GSD dog and always felt secure. I can't say enough good things about him. Any stranger would dread step out the car till we said him they were ok. We could tell from his bark who was approaching, he could distinguish the sound of the family's card from th others, good with kids and others animals of the house. I could go on and on...Strong,highly intelligent and loyal to his humans beyond mesure. He was the perfect dod.

I would not recommend an Australian Cattle Dog. They need a job, like working sheep or out on a farm. Labs would be a good choice, I think. They are pretty easy to care for too and don't always need a job.

Well.. that very much depends on the lab. They can be very high energy actually .

Case in point: http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/charac...gh-energy-dogs

It's just a lot of people go out and get them cause their the supposed perfect family dog and then find out they are not the easiest breed after all.

Mike would be at work weekdays and home on weekends. I would be the one home alone so obviously, I would have a lot of time on my hands to train a dog. I think it's the right time for me to go ahead and look into breeds - I wouldn't mind a mix if it came down to that. Wouldn't matter to me. My aunt had a Bernese Mt. Dog - but she was prone to running away off leash - she eventually got hit by a car. I've always liked German Shepards - always met nice ones - nothing against them at all. So I recently did a breed matching quiz - Obviously, the top 3? Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, and Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Go figure! I absolutely love Labs - I'm constantly around them - Mike has one, his brother has two, his cousins all each have one or two at least. It's a constant type of breed they have in the family. I am thinking to go bold and maybe go with a Golden Retriever? I DO NOT MIND HAIR at all. We would have wood floors - so it wouldn't really be a problem.

I know, K9Soul. I had one remember? But Rocky wasn't overly hyper, he was mellow. But yeah, people do go out and get the cute pups and then they turn into holy terrors if they aren't prepared for their energy.

They need lots of mental stimulation but there are a lot of pet quality labs in rescues and shelters that aren't overly hyper. It just depends on the individual dog. A lot of labs I have met are total ball freaks and water freaks. Just depends what you are looking for in a dog really. Lab puppies can be hell though. So if you don't want that go with a more mellow young adult.

Golden Retrievers are pretty sweet, too!

In my experience goldens tend to be a little more mellow than labs but of course it's all individual. If you end up with a lab with field dog bloodlines he/she is more likely to be higher strung/higher energy. Raven is a lab mix of course and she was a wild pup and young adult, though she's mellowed out now more at 5. But both labs and goldens, if they are what they should be (i.e. not wired wrong mentally somehow) just love love love their people and are eager to please and easy to train.

I hope you find what you are looking for.