Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 31 Americans dead

31 Americans dead

Why don't we just get out of this God forsaken country?

31 U.S. troops killed in Afghan crash
    By: Associated Press
    August 6, 2011 07:06 AM EDT

KABUL, Afghanistan - A helicopter crash in Afghanistan’s eastern Wardak province killed 31 U.S. special operation troops and seven Afghan soldiers, the country’s president said Saturday. It was the highest number of American casualties recorded in a single incident in the decade-long war.

A senior administration official said the NATO helicopter was apparently shot down.

President Hamid Karzai sent his condolences to President Barack Obama, according to a statement issued by his office.

“A NATO helicopter crashed last night in Wardak province,” Karzai said in the statement, adding that 31 American special operations troops were killed. “President Karzai expressed his deep condolences because of this incident and expressed his sympathy to Barack Obama.”

The Taliban claimed to have brought the helicopter down with a rocket attack, but they have been known to make exaggerated claims in the past.

I just heard this on the news

How dreadful. When are we going to get out of that place? It made me sick to hear this news.

I am SO anti-war. I hate it.

Well.....we could win.....if the pollies let us.

"I'm Back !!"

I believe we missed our chance to get out. When Osama was killed
    we should have declared victory and left. We went there supposedly
    to find Osama. We did, mission over.Leave.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My response to anyone who thinks we can truly "win" over there, and to anyone who thinks we need to stay, for whatever stupid reason -

When will you be leaving for the front lines?

Latest reports saying that up to 25 of the Americans may have been SEALS.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Why don't we just get out of this God forsaken country?
    Because we do not want it to descend back into tribal wars and chaos, and into Taliban control, dooming the girls and women into a life of ignorance and control.

I do not believe we can "win" there, but I do believe we should extricate our troops carefully, and hopefully leave some sort of hope for the Afghan people behind. The only ones who can possibly "win" in Afghanistan are the Afghan people. T'was always thus.

And I do not believe God has forsaken them.
    I've Been Frosted

30 years ago the Taliban were looked upon by us, and many other countries, as "Freedom Fighters".

Now they are our enemy.

We went into that country to avenge 9/11 - NOT to free the populace from tyrants.

As John F. Kennedy said, so eloquently -
    “We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient; that we are only 6 percent of the world's population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse every adversity; and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    All we are doing right now is wasting American lives in an untenable, unwinnable nightmare.

30 years ago the Taliban were looked upon by us, and many other countries, as "Freedom Fighters".

Now they are our enemy.
    Well then, they can't be trusted.
    All the more reason why we should be on their ground, and not them on ours.
    Freedom Fighters ??? That's only a media label...the only freedom they know is the freedom to subjugate.
    Unwinnable war ???? That's a politicians label. Invented by politicians to cover up their own blunders.

"I'm Back !!"

A tragic story - am I right in thinking that the SEALS unit involved in the crash was the same as the one whose members killed Bin Laden? It was mentioned as so on BBC news last night.

It's a tetchy subject as to whether we should still send troops out to these places or not. I can only put my trust in the forces stationed over there. It is they who see the current state of Afghanistan, and indeed Iraq, as it truly is. I suspect that they are the only ones who truly appreciate the good, or harm, they are bringing to these broken countries by their presence and bravery. Surely there must be some sort of superiors in the army stationed there also, who will know when it is the right time to leave, and have the means to put it into practice.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Well.....we could win.....if the pollies let us.
    Yup! It reminds me of the Viet Nam War. Should send the pollies to fight the war. It would be over in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    A tragic story - am I right in thinking that the SEALS unit involved in the crash was the same as the one whose members killed Bin Laden? It was mentioned as so on BBC news last night.

Same unit but different men. I read that they were flying on a rescue
    mission to pick up other men who were pinned down by sniper fire.Along
    with the men on the helicoper were a dog & his handler.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    Yup! It reminds me of the Viet Nam War. Should send the pollies to fight the war. It would be over in no time.
    If the pollies had shut their mouths in the first place, the war would have been won and over.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    Well then, they can't be trusted.
    All the more reason why we should be on their ground, and not them on ours.
    Freedom Fighters ??? That's only a media label...the only freedom they know is the freedom to subjugate.
    Unwinnable war ???? That's a politicians label. Invented by politicians to cover up their own blunders.
    The Taliban and Mujahideen were regarded as Freedom Fighters a bit over 30 years ago, when they were fighting against the Soviet Union, who had invaded their country.

Unwinnable - a word used by my husband, who like you spent time in Vietnam - two tours, in fact.

And when will you be joining the Aussie forces - they are still involved?

Unwinnable - a word used by my husband, who like you spent time in Vietnam - two tours, in fact.
    My father, also a multiple tour Vietnam guys agrees. I also agree.

And when will you be joining the Aussie forces - they are still involved?
    Nearly every person who has ever served in combat will tell you that this is the MOST sophmoric arguement EVER made. "When will you be on the front lines." This kind of bullcrap is ALWAYS uttered by people who could NEVER actually do what they suggest.

Further, as a combat vet myself.... I will tell you that I would NOT want just anyone next to me when it matters. Not every person has what it takes to do what we did. This is a good thing. I pray for an all VOLUNTEER force forever.

OR, Mrs. Grace.... Pick up YOUR rifle and follow ME.

You know better than this.... Right?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War