Thread: Whole House Water Filter

Hybrid View

Whole House Water Filter

I've mentioned a few times that I have a whole house water filter here. I took some photos today as it was time to change the filter. I really recommend this! It isn't just for the pets, it filters ALL the water, for showers and baths, cooking and cleaning, laundry. the works. Reduces chlorine taste and odor, sediment, sand, rust, soil and silt

We bought it at Home Depot and Dad installed it. For other countries, check at a DIY type store. It goes in the water line as it enters the house, before a hot water heater or anything. For us, it is in the cellar. I know not all homes have cellars.

This is what the new filter looks like: clean and white.

This is the whole unit, installed. You can see the filter in there is brown.

There are 2 shut off valves, one just before it and one after it in the water line. The RED levers. Here I've shut off the one on the left, which is the water coming in from the water main.

Both levers are down, shut off. The lever AFTER the filter stops all the water in the house lines from dropping back once the pressure is off.

This is the wrench which comes with the unit.

You unscrew the unit.

It comes off like this: This is full of water, I keep a bucket handy to catch anything I tip and spill out.

Remove the old filter. Dump the dirty water down the drain.

I use paper towels and clean out the inside. Remember you have shut off the water for the whole house, so you can't wash it in a sink. Put in the new filter. Make sure the O ring is in place properly, apply a bit of pipe dope, and screw the unit back on. Use the wrench to tighten it.

Then turn the water on again.

This little thing has a magnet on it and sticks to your refrigerator upstairs. It tells you when it is time to change the filter, every 3 months.

It blinks a blue light, which you can't miss, especially at night when all the lights are out.

Whole thing takes me less than 10 minutes.