Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better late than never - a Rainbow Bridge Anniversary and a Gotcha Day

Better late than never - a Rainbow Bridge Anniversary and a Gotcha Day

Tiger yawning by seekingsolace, on Flickr

July 13, 2008. Tiger had been with us for several years. I was the reason that Tiger stuck around. He had been thrown out of a car window at the stop sign in front of our house and permanently injured his tail in the process, though it did not bother him. I was explicitly told by my parents that I was to NOT to feed him, because if I did, he'd stick around. That was exactly what I wanted. I went out and snuck him kibble and water, and, yes, he did stick around. And became an awesome cat that we all loved and adored.

Kind, tolerant and charmingly chubby, he helped to raise two kittens and taught the dog appropriate behavior. He was just plain sweet and loving. What I like to call a "buddha cat", seemingly eternally peaceful. He was diagnosed with a heart murmur early on. Unfortunately, it continued to progress. It was just a matter of time.

There I sat when the emergency vet called. He's going into cardiac arrest and the kindest thing to do is emergency euthanasia, she told us. He had gone in a few days before, and bounced back between improving and getting worse. Nobody was sure exactly what was wrong with him, although it undoubtedly had to do with his heart. But now it did not matter.
    We all cried. Me, my brother, my mom and it sounded like the vet was getting a little choked up, too. I'm sure she had fallen in love with him just like everybody else.

He was a little over 5 years old. The first cat I had ever lost. The only cat my curmudgeony senior Amber ever bonded with. The cat that charmed everybody he met. Never again would I feel his soft fur, gently scritch his chin, or giggle at him as he would try his hand at acrobatics whilst playing with a feather toy. It just hit me like a brick wall. He was simply gone forever.

Malibu portrait by seekingsolace, on Flickr

July 13, 2009. A small, malnourished and petrified kitten seeking shelter from the frighteningly large world around her, seemingly finds safety in the wheel housing of a car, a somewhat older model Chevrolet Malibu, one of the "abused cars" that my brother likes to take in. When she sees a large man, 6'4 tall, approaching her tiny self, she panics and squeezes into the car engine, only to find herself stuck. The more terrified she becomes, the more she finds herself lodged.

The man, however, has no ill intentions, rather he wants to help. He summons me to assist in the rescue mission, and we soon find it takes more time than we originally expected. Standing directly in the hot July sun, more than likely an 100 degree day, waves radiating off the hot street and sweat dripping heavily from our brows, he finishes in over an hour.

"Clang!", the kitten drops down suddenly, and of all directions she chooses, it's to the porch where I have prepared a carrier. She charges, tiny feet pounding the ground, heart beating tremendously fast. I run after her and I pick her up. I don't think, I just do. I find myself with arms decorated with so many scratches and bites, I'm not sure if I just caught a kitten or a bobcat. I am, however, still satisfied with myself for having wrangled her in spite.

The little kitten is scared of people. She hides in a small box whenever she sees them coming and hisses when they come too close. She scratches and bites when handled. She doesn't want to come out too far when you feed her wet food. She most certainly does not want to be handled. People have captued her, put her in a cage, vets have poked and prodded her. Why would she be anything BUT afraid of them? People have brought her nothing but stress.

I knew that animals don't learn to like people overnight. It's a process. I started to spend more time with her. I moved her into the bathroom, which usually has plenty of traffic going in and out. I started putting her wet food further away from the box. I would wiggle a toy in front of her. Nearly irresistible, she would run out and realize that she had "put herself in danger", and run right back in. It was a process, indeed, but not as long as it could have been. A few weeks and she made a breakthrough. People were OK, she realized. And she never went back.

Heart cat, hopeful therapy cat, show cat. That's what Malibu is today. She is sitting next to me as I write, watching the world go by through the window with her beautiful gem like eyes, one emerald and one sapphire. Her long fluffy tail flicks occasionally and the somewhat harsh artificial light does not do justice to her beautiful ticked coat. She reminds me of a living painting, all the details carefully crafted, from each strand of hair that has two alternating bands of color, to her elegant long fur, to her lovely contrasting eyes. She is the single most beautiful cat I have laid eyes on, and she is mine.

Malibu will never fill the hole in my heart that Tiger left. No one ever can. But I know God gave me Malibu to ease the suffering I felt and the suffering I was going to feel in the rough years that followed. He gave me a most wonderful gift that I will always treasure.

And I find solace in the fact that one day, far from now if God is willing, I will be reunited with them all for the rest of eternity.

(please excuse my grammar, it is not my forte )

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind and found my soul." -Unknown

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
    - George Eliot

Who cares about your grammar when your story telling abilities bring tears of sadness and tears of joy.

So sorry about Tiger's passing(he was one handsome dude), but so happy that you now have Malibu (such a beauty).

HUGS to you on these special days.

Wow! You are quite the writer. Do you have a blog? Alot of emotion verbalized so well. Thank you. Thank Malibu and thank Tiger. He opened your heart to true uncondional love. LES.

What a Great Cat Tiger is and he is ever handsomer with his Wings of Silver and Gold.
    Tiger is helping out with Hotel Reservations, making sure that the Hotels are adequate as possible for All Our Many Awesome Angels, regardless of species.

Tiger is a MagnfiCat.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

What wonderful stories about both Tiger and Malibu. I'm sorry for your loss of Tiger. Some of our furkids just don't get to live a full life.
    Malibu is a beauty!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

July 13, an anniversary filled with sad memories and joyful gratitude for Tiger and Malibu both. You wrote beautifully about both of them, and the love shared by the three of you shines through in your writing. God bless you all.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Your writings about Tiger and Malibu are extraordinary and straight from your heart. I was moved to LES reading both of them.

[[[[[HUGS]]]]] to you today! You opened your heart to two very special kitties and give them the life every kitty deserves
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

You're a wonderful story teller and I really enjoyed reading about both Tiger and Malibu. I'm so sorry to hear about Tiger but I know he sent you Malibu to help comfort you from the pain that his death had caused.

Until I saw Malibu, I had never seen another cat that even resembled my Ziggy Stardust. Many people have told me that I should also show her but she's terrified of people. She only comes out for me and a former roommate.

What wonderful stories. Sorry to hear about Tiger's short life, but he was well loved. Charming story about Malibu.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

You wrote about your two beloved furbabies with so much love it brought tears to my eyes. All of your furkids are so lucky to have you as their mom!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm sorry your handsome Tiger is gone, but I'm glad Malibu is with you now, she's such a beauty!!
    Lovely stories, thank you for sharing them
    Big hugs
    astrid

jenn_librarian - Thank you!

kitten645 - I do have a blog, have just never posted in it. Maybe I should copy and paste this story there.

catmandu - Thanks!

chocolatepuppy - Some are just meant to be on this earth shorter than others, I think. Those animals/people are the ones who often have the most affect on the lives of others.

phesina - Thank you!

momcat - Thank you!

krazyboutkatz - Thanks! I love Ziggy. She is so gorgeous. I understand not wanting to take her to a show. Some cats really come out of their shells in the environment but some are terrified by it. Malibu's in the middle, I'd say. She's pretty indifferent to the whole thing. Sometimes she's fussy about being handled but most of the time she's pretty good.

mrspunkysmom - Thank you!

katladyd - Thank you!

astrid - Thank you!

"In rescuing animals, I lost my mind and found my soul." -Unknown

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."
    - George Eliot

And I find solace in the fact that one day, far from now if God is willing, I will be reunited with them all for the rest of eternity.
    as Catmandu puts it: One Fine Day

I take great comfort in this thought. Happy Gotcha Day, dear Malibu! And Tiger at the Rainbow Bridge, we will all get to meet you, One Fine Day.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I too was moved by your stories about Tiger and Malibu. I'm so sorry that Tiger had a much too short life, but I know he enjoyed his time with you. What a wonderful boy he was.

Malibu is quite a special girl, also, and so beautiful. I'm sure Tiger sent her to comfort you.

(((Hugs))) to you for being such a good kitty mom.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I was crying tears of sorrow reading about Tiger (he reminds me so much of my RB Taz) and then tears of joy reading about Malibu. You are an amazing writer.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)