Thread: playing camera vids on my computer help please

playing camera vids on my computer help please

A few weeks back I seemed to have messed things up on my computer and now I don't know how to fix it.

I take vids w/ my camera. Load to computer (along w/ photos).

Now, in the past, I could click on the vids and watch them. Once I messed things up, now Real Player comes up and I get an error message that it needs to download software to play the vid.

I can upload the vids to youtube and watch it on there with no problems.

So, what did I do and how do I fix it?

I think I somehow changed my default video player? How do I change it, and what do I change it back to? I have a Canon camera.

I don't think I have deleted a thing, the stuff is on the computer, I just don't know what to do.

Any and all help welcome!

2. Im guessing your cameras like mine an likes to use QuickTime but if not try Windows Media Player instead.

try right-clicking on a video you took,, an then select 'Open with' from the drop-down menu; then select 'QuickTime' an then select the 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' check-box.

if you have Windows 7 the steps are the same except for one tiny difference. you wanna choose 'Default Program' an then check the 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' check-box thingy.

that is of course also assuming you have a Windows OS. if not all the above us useless LOL

3. To simply things even more heres what the steps look like:

THANK YOU! Quick Time did it! Didn't know to do that right - click etc.

Tried Windows Media, nope didn't like that one either.

WOO HOO!

Oh dear. Well, I can PLAY the vids and watch them.

They won't go in to the editor, which is a part of the software which came WITH the camera. They should go in there!

More help?

6. no problems.

do you know the name of the software?

Good question! NOT a clue. I am a dunce!

If I just reload the software from the CD that came w/ the camera, will I lose all the photos I have on the computer? That is 3 years worth of pics!

It may be EOS, or it may be Canon Something or other.

8. Oh dear. 3years worth of pictures. thats a loooooot of keep sakes.

im not sure if you would lose them or not,, but i would definitely burn your pictures to a disc to be safe. or buy one of those USB jump drive thingies an store them an other keep sakes on that.

plus its wise an always good to have your pictures an other keep sakes saved somewhere other then on your computer cuz your hard drive may die at any given moment an youll lose literally everything. or your computer extract a virus an not allow it to boot up leaving the only option to reformat an you lose everything that way.

i have learned this the hard way. i didnt lose 3years worth of pictures but it was very devastating none of the less.

OK, going to see if I can find a Canon help /support online help anywhere. Thanks.

At least now I can WATCH them without uploading them to youtube first! So you DID help! Thanks.

10. If you can find an open the software; look up to the upper left hand side of the screen. see if theres a 'File' or 'Options' tab. go through both of them an see if theres a 'Add' option.

but i still highly suggest backing your pictures up before doing any tinkering around just to be safe.

youre welcome an good luck

I already have 6 of those thumb drive thingies holding photos.

I really do need to get coordinated, get them shipped off on line and printed, then mounted into albums. I stopped doing that when I got this digital camera, which was soon after Lacey arrived - almost 5 years ago!!!

12. time to get cracking then

i wish you luck,, i have trouble deciding what picture/s to use for siggys let alone which ones i may want framed or whatever LOL