Thread: boy or girl

boy or girl

My dear Princess died the other day, and my way of mourning is looking to rescue another kitty. I currently have a 2 year old boy. He is very active and keeps looking for Princess. What do you suggest, a boy or girl? What age? We first had Princess for 3 years when we brought home Butler as a baby. Once he was out of the kitten stage, they got along. Any suggestions?

I think you need to base it upon the personalities of the kitties. And perhaps an older kitty so the personality is developed?

Good luck in your search.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Back when I had one and was ready to get a second, I was told opposite sex.

Your boy is 2, so he is still playful. Getting another youngster will help them bond, as they will have similar energies. A kitten to age 2 would be great!

Whatever you do, just remember this: you can insist they live together in peace. You can not make them best friends. That is up to them.

Since you have a boy, its easy to add either a second boy or a girl.

Adding a new female to another female can be awful! I find my boys all get along with each other and the girls. Its just the girls who with each other.

I'd just look at the cats and meet them based on their temperment and personality. Don't even look to see if they are boy or girl. Just look at the cats based on themselves.

I think you need a girl... I have a personal reason for saying this cause I have a wonderful girl kitty who I'm fostering that needs a home. I sent you info on her on your message page! She is up at my cabin (in Palmerton) at the moment, but I can bring her to meet you as soon as you want this week. I have an appt. tomorrow at 11am, but after that I am good. Her name is Grizzly, and she's a lover. Wants love and affection 24/7, loves to play, loves her catnip and treats. She's a beauty on top of it all. Call me!!! I sent you my phone number on your page too. Oh, she's 2 years old as well!!

MEET GRIZZLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    Since you have a boy, its easy to add either a second boy or a girl.

Adding a new female to another female can be awful! I find my boys all get along with each other and the girls. Its just the girls who with each other.

I'd just look at the cats and meet them based on their temperment and personality. Don't even look to see if they are boy or girl. Just look at the cats based on themselves.
    Not always. My three boys take turns fighting each other with hisses, growls, and real fighting sometimes. Mac and Ming are the least unfriendly with each other, they get along pretty well, but I wouldn't call them buds by any means! Kimba starts fights constantly with these two, and they with him, of course. I think the gender of the cat has nothing to do with it, you just have to get the right cat. I have three boys who all want to be alpha male. Yeah, it gets real interesting sometimes.
    Is there a way you could bring a kitty home for a "test drive" before you adopt them?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I agree with others that you need to base it on personalities and there are never any guarantees.

Working with a rescue organization, such as Jen's, is a good idea because if, after a good period of time and following all their suggestions, you do end up with badly matched cats your new cat can go back to the rescue to look for a home that suits them better.

As long as Butler is what I call a "soft" male, either male or female should work. You will need a youngish and lively cat because an older cat or one who prefers a very quiet life is not going to appreciate the combination of settling into a new home and dealing with a rambunctious resident cat.

You might want to look at what you liked about Princess, and Butler's traits, and what you particularly like or don't like about individual cats. For instance, one talker in my house is enough for me and when I have two talky fosters I have to shut myself in the laundry room to get away from the noise sometimes. I don't really like cats who like to strop my ankles all the time since I'm always rushing around and they make me fall over. I love independent cats and those who are simply good companions and don't have time, literally, for lap cats. If you get another cat who is 2-3 years old, their personality will be very apparent.

I'm glad you have chosen to rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I think you need to base it upon the personalities of the kitties. And perhaps an older kitty so the personality is developed?

Good luck in your search.
    I'm expanding and clarifying my previous post. I should have said older kitten. A young kitten's personality is not yet known. Too busy being a kitten.

I'm not sure it matters about the kitty's gender. Sam prefers to be an only cat and thinks he should be alpha, yet he is a wuss. Spunky is a laissez-faire alpha, except when he wants to play which is what irritates Sam. He's (Spunky) narcissistic but doesn't need to bully others. Jane knows how to get along with everyone. Bob prefers to be an only cat, but appears to be learning. Emily doesn't like anyone except me but then I feed her. She's parked herself in the kitchen and insists on fresh feeding all day. She sits where she wants and everyone avoids her. BTW, Emily is less than 8 lbs. The only two that actually come close to fighting are Sam and Spunky; Sam weighs 60% - 80% more and Spunky has him cowering under the bed. And this is just Spunky trying to play.

Sam and Spunky I got as kittens; the last three were rescues.

Didn't mean to write a book, but personality is key. An older kitten, young adult cat will have the energy you need, but will have developed its personality.

Good luck with your search.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I think you need a girl... I have a personal reason for saying this cause I have a wonderful girl kitty who I'm fostering that needs a home. I sent you info on her on your message page! She is up at my cabin (in Palmerton) at the moment, but I can bring her to meet you as soon as you want this week. I have an appt. tomorrow at 11am, but after that I am good. Her name is Grizzly, and she's a lover. Wants love and affection 24/7, loves to play, loves her catnip and treats. She's a beauty on top of it all. Call me!!! I sent you my phone number on your page too. Oh, she's 2 years old as well!!

MEET GRIZZLY!!!
    Oh, wouldn't this just be a match made in heaven!!!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

First of all, I'm so sorry for the loss of your little girl, Princess.
    I think rescuing another kitty to honor her memory is such a beautiful thing

I have a little girl but before her we had a little boy named Chester. In my experience Chester was a little more relaxed, cool, nothing seemed to bother him; Sophie on the other hand is a little more control freak and has more attitude.. but she's so darn sweet
    But, as the other PT friends said, every cat has their own personality.

PLEASE, keep us updated, we'd love to stay in touch with you and meet your new kitty.

God bless you
    astrid

I currently have 4 males and 2 females. I've had more luck with my males being more laid back and accepting to new furkids. Both of my females still growl and hiss at Alani and Blaze and they've been here for almost 1 year. I've found that females tend to be drama queens but I know there's always an acception. You're lucky that your current cat Butler sounds likes he's laid back and easy going because you certainly don't want to put 2 alpha cats together. I would also try to go by personality more than by sex. If it was me I'd get an orange male cat because for some reason they've always been very laid back, very loving, and goofy. I hope that the new kitty will help you find some comfort with your recent loss and will also help Butler too. Good luck.

I was in the same situation last year- I had a very active boy and got a very active and a little younger kitty girl to go with it. Kiri the girl grew fast into a kind of bully and is the dominating kitty here. Little Orion is more quiet now and plays actively only when she is not around.
    The generation before was 2 active boys and I feel I would rather go with another boy if I had to take the decision again. But of course we love them both very much and wouldn't trade them

The only fighter I have is Miquelito and he gets into these rassling matches with My Panther. It was rougher at first but its all in good fun.
    Its odd that when there were Ten Found Cats , there was hardly any fighting at all.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS