Thread: My sick kitty

Hybrid View

My sick kitty

Princess is 5 years old and stopped eating 2 days ago. I took her immediately to the vet, and she is in kidney failure. The vet feels she has a great chance, but after looking up her levels on the internet, I have my doubts. Her BUM level and other levels are so high. Am I fooling myself and is she suffering?

I have a 15 year old I rescued last year with high blood pressure, kidney failure AND hyperthyroidism. He's being seen by a holistic vet and being treated by Methimazole for the hyperthroidism (the medicine is compromising his kidneys) and another med for his blood pressure. He's not in any pain.

That's the thing...if he was in any pain, I'd definitely re-think the whole thing, but he's not. Probably best to ask your vet. My vet put Barty on an appetite stimulant but he won't eat his food when I put it on his food. So I stopped. I'd rather demand feed him canned food then try and force him to take a stimulant he doesn't like (it wastes food too).

You and Princess will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Many people here give their kidney cats fluids under the skin, and a kidney kitty can do very well for years. Your vet or a tech can show you how, and you can then do it at home - apparently it is not very expensive. The levels will change.

Check with your vet about all this. Please keep us posted.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

What treatment has been prescribed? Was a thyroid issue also found? They often - but not always - go together.

I've had 2 who were CF and have passed. One was on sub q fluids for about 6 months. I have one now in early stage CRF. So far, I am managing this one with lots of canned /wet food.

She is in vet hospital and they are giving her fluids and an antibiotic. I will be hearing from vet soon. I will let you know how her numbers are doing.

sick kitty update

Day 3- Vet called and there was no significant change today. Vet said this sometimes happens. He changed meds a little to see if this helps. He felt that there was still hope.