Thread: Concern about a shelter issue-- I brought him HOME!!!

Hybrid View

Concern about a shelter issue-- I brought him HOME!!!

I'm looking to adopt a kitty from our local shelter who is FIV+. That is not the issue, as I have an FIV+ kitty, Honeybun. My concern is that they are now housing ALL the FIV+ and FeLV+ cats together!! I know Feline Leukemia is more easily transmittable than FIV, and so I'm really concerned about how they are housing their cats. They said that previously they were all in cages, and at least now they have a free roaming room... but at what cost to the FIV+ cats???

They are going to do a feline leukemia test on my guy before I take him home on Tuesday, but gosh.... what if it doesn't show up for 3 months like it sometimes does?? I don't want to infect the rest of my cats, but I can't quarantine Laslo either. I'm going to rename him, and call him Calloway, like the tuxie I had before, cause he could be his twin!! I just like the name better as well.

Any thoughts about the feline leukemia deal?

Here's my boy's profile on PetFinder/Center for Animal Health and Welfare:
    http://www.spcanorthampton.org/petsDetails.asp?id=4161
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 07-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.

I understand your concern and I would feel the same way if I were adopting a cat from that room. Maybe the FIV+ cats have been vaccinated against FeLV, so they aren't at risk, although my understanding is that the vaccine doesn't produce total protection in all cats. I would ask that question before you bring home Laslo (he's really cute!). With their weakened immune systems, FIV+ cats need protection. I would also worry about the FIV+ cats infecting the FeLV+ cats.

I hope all works out for you and Laslo.

XXXXXXXXXXXAll our children have paws!
    XXXXXXXXNewman, Lexie, Molly, Emma, Billy,
    XXXXXXXXJess, Jinx, Midge, Sofie, and Tiger

RIP at the Rainbow Bridge:
    Our kitties, Simmy, Duke, Blackie, Mama Cat, Riley, April, and Chloe.
    Our dogs, Shilo, Misty, Nikki, and Shadow.
    We miss you. Play gently until we meet again.

To me, that flies in the face of medical knowledge. Just plain DUMB!

FeLV is spread by saliva and nasal secretions; and by bites. Also urine, feces, and mother's milk.
    FIV is spread by bites.

FeLV source:
    http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

FIV from SAME source:
    http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/fiv.html

The primary mode of transmission is through bite wounds. Casual, non-aggressive contact does not appear to be an efficient route of spreading FIV; as a result, cats in households with stable social structures where housemates do not fight are at little risk for acquiring FIV infections. On rare occasions infection is transmitted from an infected mother cat to her kittens, usually during passage through the birth canal or when the newborn kittens ingest infected milk. Sexual contact is not a major means of spreading FIV.

So they definitely ARE putting the FIV cats at high risk of contracting FeLV, a form of cancer, which is more potent. Plus, w/ FIV, those cats have weakened immune systems so can't fight it off as well.

I for one would not rely on the FeLV vaccine to keep the FIV cats safe.

BAH! Makes me angry that they are doing this!

I've always heard that you can have an FIV cat living w/ other cats (I have on, Bobby), but that FeLV cats should only live with FeLV cats - cats already infected. This quick research just confirmed that in my mind.
    Last edited by Freedom; 07-04-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Just checked the link, he is HANDSOME!

Any ideas on his age? I didn't see anything.

According to THEIR doctor, older cats are less susceptible to catching FeLV than younger cats. Laslo they say is 4 years old, a mature cat. I just wish I felt more comfortable with this, because right now, I don't.

I just about fell over when the girl told me they were all together in one room. Why put the FIV+ cats at risk?? I doubt they vaccinate them against FeLV because that would be a big expense for them. There are about 15 cats in the room, and only about 5 to 6 of them are FIV+. I know you don't want them to live in cages, but this is fairly large shelter, and they should have some other room available, you'd think. I don't know. I'm just worried about the rest of my cats getting something from Laslo, because he could be a carrier just from being around them.

UGH. I think I'm rethinking this.

They would do better having the FIV cats in with the healthy cats, and the FeLV cats separated.

Go ahead, help Laslo, soon to be Calloway.

Ask YOUR vet what s/he thinks!