Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled kitten

Disabled kitten

There is a five week old meezer mix kitten at my local humane society. The wee one is polydactal on her back legs and has deformed front legs--kinda looks like she is swimming or walking on her elbows. She gets around alright, but not like the other kittens. Her own momma cat rejected her so the owner brought her to the shelter where she has been accepted by another nursing momma. (Nell's a wonderful momma cat and a doll!)
    The shelter staff have never worked with a kitten like this and are overwhelmed at the best of times anyway! I am looking for any treatment suggestions that will help the little one get as much mobility as possible as she grows. Anyone worked with or have a kitty with similar problems? Thanks in advance.

PS: i am thinking of adopting her as soon as she is weaned, but I have to get hubby's permission first. Well, I have to ask anyway!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Nell sounds like a wonderful kitty momma.

Sorry I don't have any ideas for you. I know they make a little cart kind of thing for when dogs get old and arthritic, but I think that's more for the back legs, and this sounds more like she has problems with her front legs.

I sure hope your "discussion" with your husband goes well and the little sweetie has a new home real soon.

She - "Honey, I'm thinking about adopting kitten that's down at the shelter." He - "Oh yeah?" She - "Yeah, she's the sweetest little kitten that was born with a deformity to her legs. She gets around just fine, but she'll need a home since it's unlikely anyone would adopt her." He - "Oh, ok, sounds good. What's for supper?"

If only it were that easy.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Glacier,

The kitten's deformity is no doubt from inbreeding. Those people who dumped her off at the shelter should be ashamed of themselves!!

I'm glad you're adopting her. She needs someone like you to give her the love and attention she so deserves.

Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Glacier,

The kitten's deformity is no doubt from inbreeding. Those people who dumped her off at the shelter should be ashamed of themselves!!

I'm glad you're adopting her. She needs someone like you to give her the love and attention she so deserves.

Good luck.

That's what I thought too. I have heard that birth defects are common when two polys are bred. But at least they took her to the shelter and didn't just let her die!

I asked hubby tonight and he rolled his eyes and said "how much is this going to cost?" He didn't say NO!! (he never does--he's a big softy too) I am going to talk to my vet tomorrow and see what can be done for her. She can't be adopted for another three weeks at least--the shelter won't adopt kittens younger than 8 weeks. And she has some catching up to do, she's quite tiny. She was nursing like crazy when I was in there today. I'll keep you all posted.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    He - "Oh, ok, sounds good. What's for supper?"[/i]
    I usually cook a nice supper and then ask for things afterwards when my beloved is happy and tired from the meal I hope you can adopt the kitten and give her a home.

BTW, what is polydactal?
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Hey guys, take a look at this TWISTY CATS AND THE ETHICS OF BREEDING FOR DEFORMITY it might give you some more info on the kittens deformity. She sounds like a cutie though, it would be really sweet of you to give her a home.

I didn't read all the text of that website, but those pictures are so sad.. Those poor kitties look like they would have a back ache.

Polydactyl means that they have extra toes. Zasper was polydactyl. SHe had 6 toes on her front paws.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Marigold is polydactl as well. Everybody loves her front paws...especially when she spreads them out and starts to "knead" you. *purrrrr*

Originally posted by Uabassoon
    Polydactyl means that they have extra toes. Zasper was polydactyl. SHe had 6 toes on her front paws.
    Thank you
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Hurray, another "throw away" finds a champion! What a great adventure you will have - even if unexpected things happen with your disabled cat.

I have a blind-from-birth kitty named Winston, and he is a wonderful little weirdo! He also has heart problems, but he is doing fine.

Don't be too worried! You will adapt and the kitty will adapt, and likely you'll both have a bond that is beyond measure!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Wolf_Q,

The "Twisty Cat" was the first thing that crossed my mind. There was a woman who inbred so that they couldn't jump on counters or scratch furniture. I think THAT's disgusting. That is one of the reasons why I don't believe in breeding. There are way too many unwanted, abused and neglected cats out there without adding to the overpopulation (sorry if I repeat myself, but I can't emphasize it enough). Three of my cats are rescues from bad breeders.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by moosmom
    Wolf_Q,

The "Twisty Cat" was the first thing that crossed my mind. There was a woman who inbred so that they couldn't jump on counters or scratch furniture. I think THAT's disgusting. That is one of the reasons why I don't believe in breeding. There are way too many unwanted, abused and neglected cats out there without adding to the overpopulation (sorry if I repeat myself, but I can't emphasize it enough). Three of my cats are rescues from bad breeders.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I read that too. I had heard about them along time ago, but kind of forgot about it. Is this the website of the woman you were talking about? Well, not her original website.... Flipper--One Cute Twisty Kat--and THE TRUTH!

From what I have researched, polydactylism comes from one of two possible sources in the U.S. Either this cat is a distant relation to Ernest Hemmingway's cats in Key West Florida...or this cat could be a decendent from a cat brought over on the mayflower (or similar ship of that time).

Anyone out there care to add to or refute this? I am still curious about these 'little big paws'

Originally posted by rosethecopycat
    From what I have researched, polydactylism comes from one of two possible sources in the U.S. Either this cat is a distant relation to Ernest Hemmingway's cats in Key West Florida...or this cat could be a decendent from a cat brought over on the mayflower (or similar ship of that time).

Anyone out there care to add to or refute this? I am still curious about these 'little big paws'
    She would have to be a very distant relative of either of those. I live way up in boonies. Our humane society director believes we have a very active polydactal siamese tom in town. We see a large number of poly meezer mixes at the shelter. My Polly Paws is polydactal on all four paws, but other than one claw that was badly deformed she has no problems (an attitude problem sometimes, but i don't think that's related ) My vet has said that the more paws that have extra claws, the higher the incident of troubles.
    --John Irving