Thread: How to get rid of cat-pee smell?

How to get rid of cat-pee smell?

Do any of you have further advice of how get rid of Cat-pee smell on a carpet? I found the below suggestions in an old thread, but not sure you can get these in Denmark, or what the active ingredients are.

A friend of mine is moving from a rented house and her cat has peed on one carpet sevearl times. It’s a thick rough one, dark colored all over. So far, she has washed it with soap and hung it on the terrasse railing, but the smell is still there.

Any good experiences with these:

Urine Gone which you can buy at Bed Bath and Beyond
    Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle

Citrus Spray with Enzymes in the Cat Dept. of Walmart

Ok I just read a article on cat pee.. It said to Use 1 part White Vinegar with 1 part water & soak area & brush the area & with scott towl soak all up.. Then get Baking Soda & Sprinkle over area.. Then get 1/4 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide with 1 tsp of Dish Soap (dawn) & mix together & pour over Baking Soda & let all dry by air && then vacumn up after all has dried.. Hey it sounds timely but sounds like it would work.. Good Luck.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

If the rug is dark in color the peroxide could take some color out.

I have no suggestions, just wanted to warn you about the peroxide.
    Good luck!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thank you, Cindy! Perhaps she should try with white vinegar, baking soda and lemon.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Lemon juice can also bleach color, as it is acidic. Before she tries anything - Nature's Miracle is great, I don't know if you have it over there - have her test it in a small corner of the carpet just to see if it affects the color at all.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you, Karen! Yes, I know lemon is acidic, but thought a little mixed with water might take some of the smell.

My friend is thinking of asking in a pet shop, they will hope fully something she can use. Does anyone know what is in Nature's Miracle? - or some of the other suggestions?

Randi,

The best solution does not involve chemicals that can be dangerous. The best solution is to rent an Ozone generator for a week. Ozone is O3 or a form of oxygen. The only problem is you will have to close off one room at a time, to run the machine in. Ozone in high levels is not good to breath. A good recommendation is to do a room at a time with it closed. Once you are down to the last room that can't be done without you being there, start the machine and take a day to go shopping or something. When you return just open the doors for a few minutes after you turn the machine off. The Ozone will be to safe levels in a matter of minutes. You don't have to worry when you return and have to be in the room to turn off the machine. It is only harmful if breathe it in high levels for a long time.

Ozone generators are used by Hotels, bars and etc to eliminate smoke odors. they are also good for eliminating mold and mildew.

If you will just type "ozone machine rental Denmark" you will see a number of companies that will send you a machine that you can rent. I would recommend a week. There are also machines that you can buy for the purpose of odor elimination and if left running at a low level all the time can be helpful in elimination odors and air borne molds and other toxins.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Thanks Bill, but I doubt she has the time or energy to do that. Sound like an effective solution, though. She has three children and a cat, plus they're packing a whole house full to move to Qatar mid June.

Btw, you can see Dali, who peed on that carpet here - post 29:http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...highlight=dali

This morning he delivered a newborn bird to the family while they had breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    My friend is thinking of asking in a pet shop, they will hope fully something she can use. Does anyone know what is in Nature's Miracle? - or some of the other suggestions?
    Copied from PetSmart website for Nature's Miracle-
    Ingredients:
    water, nature's enzymes, isopropyl, alcohol, natural citrus scent.

Now, who can tell me what "nature's enzymes" would consist of???
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    Now, who can tell me what "nature's enzymes" would consist of???
    Good question! Thanks for checking it!

Boarding kennels would use this type of enzyme cleaner; also janitorial supply shops. Check also with cleaners that clean up scenes that have had blood, etc.

Simplest might be for her to go to a pet store and ask for a cleaner with odor enzymes in it.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've always used Urine Gone which is an enzyme cleaner. I've had really good success w/it. I tried the white vinegar route before I found out about Urine Gone but the vinegar did absolutely nothing except add more stink.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thanks again! I've sent on the info and my friend says "Muchisimas gracias!

I have some neutralizer from the Vet when Tubster Panther sprayed to mark his terrotory. I just wish I could remember the name.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS