Thread: Dog park still has Koko Spooked???

Dog park still has Koko Spooked???

I mentioned on a privious post about Koko acting weird when I took her to a dog park. Today was her 6th birthday so I decided to take her back to the dog park since now, that all the storms have passed, we are having glorious weather. The last time we went she acted spooked with her tail tucked and salivating to the point of foaming. The last time we went there were no other dogs so I couldn't make any sense of her behavior. This time there were about 6 other dogs that were playing and chasing each other and having a general good time. After the normal hello sniffs, Koko just walked around with her nose to the ground sniffing everything, and completely ignoring the other dogs. She was salivating again to the point that foam was just dripping from her mouth. After several attempts to get her to play ball/sticks I ask her if she was ready to go, and she just ran for the gate. I just don't know what it is about the park that has her so uneasy. I know she seemed overwelmed by the smells (urine) but it didn't seem to be effecting any of the other dogs. The odors there were so mild to my human nose I couldn't detect any smells. Is this something that is normal or is Koko just not a good dog park dog. The foaming has me puzzled also. When we go to Do dah day we are around hundreds of dogs and she never acts this way and is always perky with no foaming. Anyone have any insight
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

My dog Smokey used to have the same reaction (the foaming thing)
    when he was a pup. The older he got and the more walks he went on, it
    lessened & finally stopped altogether.I think his nose was just overloaded
    by the scent of other dogs smells they he discovered along the way.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I haven't a clue, Bill - but:

Happy 6th Birthday, Koko
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

The only time I've noticed a dog reacting like this is after they went sniffing a toad. Toads apparently have some kind of glands that secrete a foul acidic smell and taste that doesn't agree with dogs. Our town has been taking polls on having a dog park and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe sticking to our ordinary trails are better than dog parks. I've heard some dog owners vote against them because of some very horrid things dogs can catch there. I had never thought about this.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOKOPUP !!
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Have you tried taking her to a different dog park? There just may be something about that particular one's scent that spooks her, it's worth a try.
    I've Been Frosted

Some dogs really cannot handle the dog parks. I had a dog that was the dearest dog you would ever want to meet, got along with all dogs, was a certified therapy dog with Delta's Pet Partners program and she hated dog park, she thought it was a really dumb place and made it known each time I tried to take her there that she hated it. Maybe your dog is the same way.
    Rhonda &
    Callie, Huck and Wyatt

My dog, Hank, cannot handle dog parks either. Hair goes up on the back of his neck - he cowers and stays near me, and really gets into defensive mode if dog approaches him. I don't take him anymore, and this was the second time I tried with him, and that was about a year and half ago.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Thanks everyone for your input on Dog parks. I guess we will have to be content just going to our other dogy places. I know Koko is not comfortable at Dog parks, at least this one, so will not go back there.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown