Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amber might have cancer **Passed away 4/14/2011**

Amber might have cancer **Passed away 4/14/2011**

Hi guys. I'm not really active on here yet but I wanted to reach out and ask for some prayers. The last few days Amber has been drooling excessively, not wanting to eat and hissing at you when you touch the side of her mouth. I took her to the vet today and she noticed she has a lump on the left side of her mouth. I could see the concern the moment she found it. Amber was also dehydrated (back in Feb she was diagnosed as being in the beginning stages of kidney failure) so they gave her some SQ fluids. She also got a sedative and a pain med injection. She took x-rays and said it was either cancer or an infection, but I could tell that she was pretty sure it was cancer. She sent it to a radiologist and I should get a call later tonight confirming it or not.

She gave me a list of actions to take if it is indeed cancer. I'm not entirely sure how far I will go with Amber since she is 13 1/2. I am praying so hard that it is just an infection but with the way my vet was behaving I'm really doubting it is. If it is cancer I just don't want to put her through surgery. She's already developing mild senility and her kidney disease seems to be progressing somewhat quickly. She's been dropping weight too. I'm very conflicted right now, and of course, I'm very upset at the idea of losing the cat I have lived with nearly my entire life. I just lost my grandpa in Feb so this has been a very rough year.

However, I am very thankful that I have a wonderful, intelligent vet that respects our decisions and the best mom in the world who is willing to do whatever necessary and not care about the price, even if we don't really have the money. Please pray that we make the right decisions and that, whatever the outcome, Amber remains happy and never feels any pain throughout.

Here's my sweet girl -

Thanks.

**Update - I put Amber to sleep on 4/14/2011 before she felt any more pain. She will be privately cremated and have a paw print cast taken. I miss her tremendously but I know it was the right decision.
    Last edited by Malibu's Mom; 04-15-2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Updating original post

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your beloved Amber tonight. I hope the vet brings you good news!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Our prayers are with you and Amber in this scary time.
    I've Been Frosted

Well I just got the call a little bit ago that the radiologist was fairly positive that it is indeed a very aggressive and destructive form of cancer. We will be taking her in for a biopsy tomorrow to confirm 100%, but I don't think I'll go through with the surgery. It involved removing the mandible and putting in a feeding tube. Combine that with her age, senility, having arthritis and kidney disease, and knowing her personality... I think she would be miserable. I think I am just going to try to keep her as happy as possible and out of pain for the next few days and then put her to sleep. I am just absolutely balling and shaking right now.

I'm so sorry about your sweet girl Amber. I went through the same thing with my orange boy Molly several years ago. The surgery would have been too hard on him and what kind of life is that for a cat with part of his jaw removed and not able to eat? I can tell that you love Amber very much and it will be so hard to say good-bye to her. You don't want her to suffer and you'll make the best decision for Amber. She is a beautiful kitty and she'll always be in your heart.

Oh, I am so sorry. Prayers for Amber and you both.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh I'm so sorry! It's so disheartening to receive bad news about our furkids, especially one that has been w/us for such a long time. Words aren't much comfort at such a time but I just want you to know that we've all been where you are. It's never an easy decision but it's the last act of kindness that we can do for them. We'll still hold you and Amber in our prayers.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm so sorry about your precious Amber.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I am sorry to read this too about your precious Amber.. We all know what you & Amber are going thru.. Your Heart will make the right decision.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I'm so sorry to hear this. This brings back the sad memories of my RB Sunny. He too had a lump in his lower jaw bone and it was also cancer. I decided to just keep him comfortable and then I let him go when he was showing signs of being in too much pain. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Amber's way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Amber is just so gorgeous...what a wonderful loving girl you have.

I agree you are doing the right thing - any treatment possible would be too hard on a kitty her age. Did the vet mention any prednisone as a comfort measure?

I hope she is painfree and comfortable and with you for as long as possible.

Kisses to beautiful Amber.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I decided to just skip the biopsy all together. Amber was so frazzled last night after being sedated for the x-rays and I didn't want to put her through that again. She still has pain meds in her system and she seems to be in fairly good spirits, so I have decided that I will put her to sleep tomorrow before she feels any more pain. She will join Morris and Tiger at the RB.

@ Catty1 - We didn't really discuss any drugs. They gave her an NSAID injection yesterday that is supposed to last a few days.

I am so sorry to hear about Amber.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

So...tomorrow another kitty angel will fly up to the RB. This is so sad but for what it's worth, I think you are doing the right thing.

We all know what it's like to lose a furry loved one and we feel your pain and cry with you.

Big hugs...
    slick
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm so sorry to hear about Amber. Losing a fur child is a difficult and horrible thing to go through. Sending prayers to you both during this time.

Amy