Thread: Job & Scholarship opportunity! - Updated #11!

Job & Scholarship opportunity! - Updated #11!

And it has been narrowed down to me and one other person!

The $1000 scholarship is awarded to the top student in the Mortuary Science program, with an emphasis on the science classes. Since it's a tie between me and a fellow classmate, the committee decided that we both will write a short essay to determine the winner. Eeeek! So, just one more thing to do on my long list of to-dos! I'm honored to be chosen either way, but I am a very competitive person.

Also, if you could spare some vibes, I have a second interview on Tuesday for a position that would be PERFECT for me. I'd live in the funeral home and they'd pay for gas to travel to school and allow me to do my apprenticeship. The first interview went really well and I fell in love with the funeral home and the city, I want this more than anything!

Sorry I've been MIA for awhile, I try to check in and lurk around, as much as I can! I only have 4 months of school left to go (for the foreseeable future!) and it's kind of freaking me out.
    Last edited by k9krazee; 04-28-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Good luck! When you finish your essay you should have Karen give you tips she is the great writer on here.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Oh, good luck on the interview, and yup, I'd be happy to read the essay before you turn it in, if you want! Another set of eyes never hurts!
    I've Been Frosted

Much luck to you Ash! Sounds like you have a lot going for you right now. please keep us updated!

Thanks guys! Karen, it's just a short little thing - 250 words, but I'd love to have some input when I'm done! I've brainstormed a little this morning and have a couple different directions.

Hey, it may be *just* 250 words, but they need to be the RIGHT 250 words!
    I've Been Frosted

Hey, you have lots going on - Good Luck with all of it!

Best wishes and good luck and prayers and good vibes to you with it!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My dad had a gig at a funeral home where he lived there in exchange for keeping an eye on the place at night. He jokingly called himself a "body guard", LOL. The funniest part was that the name of the family that owned the place was "Graves". He ended up getting a pretty sweet used hearse out of the deal too. Then he traded it for a not-so-sweet Chevette (aka the rolling turd) that died soon after he towed it back to TN.

Good luck with your essay. Call it morbid fascination but I always thought it would be cool to be a mortitian.

Good luck with everything. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way too.

I got the scholarship!! AND the job!!

I move into the funeral home on May 4th. I'm so nervous and excited at the same time. It's bound to be a great learning experience and a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Sorry I never had you read the essay, Karen, I wrote it up a couple days ago and sent it hoping for the best. Bad, I know, but it worked!

This is what I wrote if you guys are interested. I thought I'd go with something more silly/personal, because I was sure K was going to be serious.

Dear Anatomy Cadaver,
    I knew you in a way that nobody in this world has. You did not help find a cure for cancer or help medical students perform tricky operations, but your role in Mortuary Science was just as important. With your body I was able to earn a better appreciation for science and life around me. You forced me to make healthier eating choices and taught me to appreciate the moments I have with family and friends. Science makes restorative art and embalming, two of the most important focuses of the funeral industry, possible. Because of your generosity, I was able to hold your heart in my hands and physically see the “center of fluid distribution”. I was able to take a close look at your circulatory system and trace the flow of blood, or arterial fluid, throughout your body. By seeing and touching your organs, I learned how to aspirate bodies efficiently. Science allows an avenue of understanding and comprehension, instead of merely going through the motions. Chemistry helps the embalmer to comprehend, at a molecular level, how formaldehyde and proteins of the body interact. Microbiology allows the funeral director to understand and minimize the risks of disease and infection to the public. So thank you, Mr. Cadaver, for spiking my interest in science and allowing me to expand my knowledge of the way that the human body works.
    Sincerely,
    Ashley

Congratulations! Very exciting, we are proud of you and happy for you at the same time!
    I've Been Frosted

This is wonderful news. Congrats!!!

That's really cool. Neat essay, too.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Well Done!!! You should be VERY proud of yourself.