Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car was rifled through

My car was rifled through

*rolling eyes, shaking head* WHAT exactly are these people (I think it was kids) looking for??

I don't lock my driver's side door in the winter because I'm afraid they'll freeze. So far my car has been rifled through 3 times!!!! All 3 times, they went through my glove box. I had a couple of boxes of momentos in my back seat that I just retrieved from my cousin's basement. They went through those too! They stole my magnet door sign twice. I now keep it on my fridge and only put it on my car when I'm on assignment. I found my "No More Puppy Mills" protest sign across the street in the gutter. That makes me think it was kids.

I have nothing of value in the car. I'm tempted to put a note on my steering wheel telling them it'll be the 4th time the car has been gone through, and the results will always be the same...GIVE UP ALREADY WILL YA?????

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

There's something that you can spray on the door locks if they freeze but I don't know the name of it. You might want to look into it, Donna, instead of leaving your door unlocked. Whomever is doing this might do something stupid and you could end up hurt.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Since it's Spring, I can now lock my doors. I've tried that lock de-icer and it doesn't work when it's REALLY cold out.

I just don't want to have to place a claim with my insurance company for a broken window.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I think its a good thing you didn't lock the car - imagine trying to replace a broken window! I keep my car unlocked now after a couple neighbors had their windows smashed. The only thing they'll get is old CDs that are mostly scratched, a couple pennies, and a stained child's car seat. All theirs for the taking if so inclined

I'd be tempted to put an old-fashioned mousetrap in the glovebox!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I'd be tempted to put an old-fashioned mousetrap in the glovebox!

Oh yea...love this idea!

Seriously, I lock my doors and I live out in the sticks. My neighbors had some kids go through their vehicles for change and money last summer. The car being locked is a deterrent and they will most likely move on to an easier target. I would rather deal with the frozen door locks. There are products out there to thaw the frozen locks, or, cover them over somehow.

Sorry this happened to you.

In Philadelphia

When I lived in down town Philadelphia, many of us would open our glove compartments showing them empty, then put signs in both side windows, saying no valuables inside. At that time, the creeps were famous for breaking windows to get into the cars. It seemed to help to leave the glove box open. If you have a light in the box, you'll need to take out the bulb, so it doesn't drain the battery.

Donna, I too have problems with frozen locks and nothing works on them except Mother Nature..... I suppose a hair dryer would work too, but think of the extension cord you'd need!

Glad you didn't have your window broken.
    Last edited by sasvermont; 04-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Grr, sorry this happened, Donna.

On the + side, sounds like you had minimum clean up!

I've been told that people are looking for insurance cards. Don't know why, but that's what a police officer friend of mine told us after my brother's car was rifled through as well.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    I've been told that people are looking for insurance cards. Don't know why, but that's what a police officer friend of mine told us after my brother's car was rifled through as well.
    I wonder why - since the card would have all the info pertinent to that vehicle, and also the plate registration #.

Sas had a good idea - leave the glove box open and put a sign in the window. The mousetrap idea is a good one too.

I live in a rural area, but still lock mine. They are remote locks and don't freeze tho - just the whole door freezes shut after a snow or freezing rain, since the moisture gets in around the door frame and the door.

Donna - just make sure you don't leave any packages, etc, in plain view. The boxes in the back seat probably caught their eye, too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Anything in my car would be of no use to them. That is unless they're desperate for canned cat food and a gazillion cat show ribbons in a rubbermaid bin. They didn't steal my insurance card. And yes, I've heard about that.

Next week it's supposed to be really nice out. I might pull up along side the dumpster and start toss stuff. But then again, I haven't cleaned my car out in 11 year so why start now?

We don't lock our doors either, because it just makes people more likely to smash the windows if they want in. Have you thought about getting a car alarm? That'd be pretty funny, imagine the shock they'd get, those things are LOUD.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    When I lived in down town Philadelphia.

Oh yeah? Where? Boy! Has it changed! It's been 8 years since I worked "in the city" and I barely recognize it!

Just curious. Wouldn't it be a riot if I passed you on the street?

Donna, I'm just glad the "damage" wasn't worse. Kids have nothing better to do. Mz Logan's barking scared away someone recently, but not before they stole my brother's broken Sirius radio. Our neighbor said his car was broken into the same night. And it was around 3a!. Wouldn't it be nice if these kids would sit and read a real BOOK or go to a museum instead of taking out their boredom on decent folks? Wishful thinking. I guess your "booty" disappointed them. They probably call you the Crazy Cat Lady!!

I've been Boooo'd!

K9Karen,

I'm SURE it was kids. If it was a pro, they would've already taken the radio or the car.

Wolfsoul,

Believe it or not, I DO have an alarm in the car!! I had to disconnect it after it went off and I couldn't shut it off. THAT was a nightmare!!!

I've talked to a lot of the tenants. Some have alarms, some have just the red light that makes it LOOK like there's an alarm is in it ande it's activated.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    I think its a good thing you didn't lock the car - imagine trying to replace a broken window! I keep my car unlocked now after a couple neighbors had their windows smashed. The only thing they'll get is old CDs that are mostly scratched, a couple pennies, and a stained child's car seat. All theirs for the taking if so inclined
    LOL, this is me! Plus a tons of 'trash' from food bags, toys from McDonalds, school papers, coats, mittens, a random cup half filled with something, etc.