Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root Canal Issue

Root Canal Issue

Hi all,
    I had a root canal a month ago, well the beginning of one, because the process of starting the root canal aggrivated an unknown abcess. A very mean abcess. It took nearly 4 weeks to heal well enough to complete the root canal.

That takes us to this week, wednesday to be exact. I had the final work done on the root canal. I went to work expecting to be a little sore and mostly nauseaus because navocaine upsets my delicate tummy. No sooner did the novacaine wear off, I was in tears. TEARS. I sat at work balling my eyes out because of the pain. My boss sent me home and I had the looongest night of my life. Hubby said it was the longest night of his life too. because every time he drifted off to sleep, I'd start screaming in pain because I shivered with the fever, and in my shivering I'd start chattering. I'd scream with pain and then start crying because of the intense pain. Pain from shivering! I also developed a fever that stayed over 100 degress for two days. Its down to 99 today (whoohoo)

I called the dentist thursday morning and he said the tooth is probably just a "little irritated" Ummmm, no, its screaming at me in fury! He sent over a script for pain pills and an antibiotic. I had a reaction to the Vicodin and called back to get a non-narcotic pain med. That took me to prescription Motrin. I can NOT live without the Motrin. I am supposed to take it every 6 hours, but usually take it every 5.5 hours because the pain is so intolerable that waiting that extra half hour is impossible.

My entire lower right jaw is swollen and hot to the touch. It seems more swollen today that all week. Usually, ice works on tooth pain. this time? No relief.

Its Friday. The root canal was Wednesday. I've missed 3 whole days of work and I don't see me working a full day tomorrow.

Sorry this is so long. I am frustrated and tired of being in so much pain with little relief thus far. I have NEVER had anything like this in my life. I have awful teeth and have many root canals in my past. Why is this one the root canal from you-know-where?

Oh, the good thing? I've dropped ten pounds this week alone! all I've eaten the past few days? Chicken soup broth, cream of wheat, and Sprite. I have absolutely no desire to eat either.

That does not sound normal.
    You may have an infection.

"I'm Back !!"

Does the dentist work on Saturdays? If so, INSIST he see you.

If not, does your medical practice have Sat hours? Go in.

I think you should have gone to the ER that first night (looking back at it now). This is too much, too long. Do NOT suffer, there is no need of this!

I agree with Sandie - see someone tomorrow - heck, go to the ER tonight if you are in that much pain. 48 hours - okay; this long - no way.

The infection may have gone systemic, also. Find a different dentist. And go to the ER or find a weekend dentist. The sooner the better.

I've had many root canals and none were more than uncomfortable for more than a day.

Take care and get better.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Yes this is not normal. I am so sorry for your pain. Call the dentist ASAP if he will not see you go to the ED and get some antibotics.
    Please let us know how you are doing?

Sandie and the others are right, Kim. I've also had MANY root canals and have never suffered the way you are now.

I'd get my @$$ to an ER fast. That dentist sounds like an idiot. Vicodin is supposed to be taken with food or you will get sick, trust me. Like Mrspunkysmom said, it sounds like it might be systemic. That's not good either.

Feel better, gf. If you want to talk (or cry) I'll be around all weekend. I'm dogsitting tomorrow till Sunday and my phone doesn't get a signal in the house. I'll check my emails frequently and call you back if you leave a message.

& hugs

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that you're in so much pain. I've never had a root canal but I too don't think that what you're experiencing is normal. It sounds like you have a bad infection. Please either go to the ER or see your doctor asap. I sure hope that you start feeling better soon.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Not normal at all. Sounds like a raging infection. Get to a dentist or the ER stat!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I feel your pain. I had a root canal many years ago.

Also, my coworker went through this a couple months ago. Started out with a root canal and ended up having a major infection. She was off work for almost 2 weeks!

I had a root canal done about 20 years ago. It was in the back right, next to last tooth. I had a crown put in. The crown fell out twice. Then I had what they call an Apicoectomy which involves actually removing part of the root. So, now I have one root and a half. I had a new crown made and that one kept falling out. Finally I just left it out. I have been planning on just having the remaining little bit of tooth removed since it is way in the back but haven't done it yet. The doc wanted to do a bridge to the tune of $2,000.00. I passed on that.

Hope you get this straightened out and feel better soon. There is nothing worse than mouth pain!

Kim, please head to your doc or the ER and get back to us. That sounds very serious.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh Kim, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I hope you feel better soon.
    Going to the ER isn't a bad idea. I'm sitting in a hospital bed typing this right now because of a wisdom tooth extraction gone wrong.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

How are you doing today, Kim? I've been thinking of you.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Quote Originally Posted by KBlaix View Post
    Oh Kim, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I hope you feel better soon.
    Going to the ER isn't a bad idea. I'm sitting in a hospital bed typing this right now because of a wisdom tooth extraction gone wrong.
    Eww, I hope you are feeling better.

And yes, Kim., do get back to us. Hope you are doing better, too.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I hope you feel better soon! That sounds terrible and tooth pain can be the most miserable type of pain there is! Let us know how things are when you can.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32038&dateline=129651  4765
    My Family left to right Riku - Lynx Point Siamese mix, Riley - Domestic Short Hair Tabby, Phoebe - Domestic Medium Hair Tabby, Foxy - Australian Cattle Dog mix - March 2001 - September 15, 2012, Autumn - Labrador Retriever Mix
    Dear Husband and Myself - homo sapiens - James and Becky