Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *She's home!* Jill is having surgery Friday(11/19).

*She's home!* Jill is having surgery Friday(11/19).

Thats right, Queen Jillian has recently been diagnosed with adrenal disease, and is going in for surgery this Friday. She began losing the hair on the tip of her tail and I noticed her vulva is enlarged -- both classic signs of adrenal disease in spayed females.
    She was literally diagnosed yesterday, so it still hasn't fully sunk in yet.

This procedure is going to put be back about $300, but there wasn't even any thinking to realize that she is totally worth it. She is just under five years old, and I believe she has years of healthy, happy days ahead of her.

It hasn't even been a year since I lost King Larry, so I have quite a bit of anxiety when it comes to my baby girl being sick. She is still acting perfectly fine and most people wouldn't even realize anything is wrong with her... lets hope that we caught this early!

Please, please keep my girl in your thoughts and pray that the tumor is on her left adrenal gland instead of the right! If its on the left then it is a pretty straight forward procedure without much risk.... if its on the right, then it is right next to the vena cava (major blood vessel...scary).

Thankfully the vet I use for my exotics is experienced when it comes to ferrets... in fact, my sister(she's a vet tech at the clinic) helped him with this exact surgery on another female ferret yesterday. I am confident Jill will be in good hands.

Anyway, we're dropping her off tomorrow evening and she will have her surgery Friday morning.
    I'll keep you all updated.

In the meantime, here are a few pictures I just took of the Queen...

"Can I go back to sleep now?"
    Last edited by Casper; 11-19-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Big prayers for Queen Jill!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Lovely photos! Prayers from us here in RI that all goes well!

Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed Jillians way.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Prayers for pretty Jill! And give her a kiss from me, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers and good thoughts for both you and Queen Jill. She will be alright. My RB boy Sebastian had the surgery and had both adrenal glands removed. He had some complications after and needed to replace the hormones he lost losing both glands. Please keep an eye on Jill afterwards, although with losing only the left one she should do alright.

Do you have the chicken soup recipe and a batch or two ready for her for afterward? It really helps bring them around and back to eating after their surgery.

And if it makes you feel better her surgery is fairly inexpensive compared to the same here which was $1000+ for Sebastian.

Hugs for you, been there, know how stressful it will be for you.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Thanks, guys! I truly appreciate it. I gave her a kiss for each one of you... plus about a dozen more.
    She returned every single one with a slobbery kiss of her own!

A few hours ago I dropped her off at the clinic to spend the night. They employees were letting her run around on the front desk while I was talking to my sister, and Jill helped herself to someone's Mountain Dew. I guess there is a first time for everything. Haha!

I'll know around noon tomorrow how it all goes. I'll be sure to update you all, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    Do you have the chicken soup recipe and a batch or two ready for her for afterward? It really helps bring them around and back to eating after their surgery.

And if it makes you feel better her surgery is fairly inexpensive compared to the same here which was $1000+ for Sebastian.
    Yup, I plan on making a few batches tomorrow to have ready for her when she comes home. Although Jill is an abnormally picky eater, I think I know which recipe she likes. I might make a few different versions just in case!

And yeah, when I realized she had the signs of adrenal disease, I was afraid to know how much it would cost. Years ago my neighbor said that he paid over $600 for the same surgery on his ferret. I am very thankful that it is as cheap as it is.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Thinking of you and Jill this morning. Hoping all goes well and she has a speedy recovery. Hugs for you and please give her a gentle kiss from me when you get her home.
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Just a quick update...

Man, I've been nervous all day long. I'm surprised there isn't visible wear on the floor after I found myself subconsciously pacing back and forth a few times.

A little after noon I got a text from my sister saying that Jill is out of surgery and doing good. Hooray!
    If she keeps it up, then my sister said she would be able to bring her home tonight. Fingers crossed!

I'll update again with the details when my girl is home. Thanks again for all the good vibes.
    The Minions:

Awee Queen Jill your so Adorable & Sweet.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss that your surgery & healing goes good & fast..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Oyster, I hope Queen Jill comes home today. How fortunate that you picked up on the signs and symptoms as early as you did! Please give her a gentle pet or two from me. Her face is so sweet.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

She's home!

The doc said that she did really, really well. He did have to remove the gland closer to the vena cava, but he said that he was able to get it out really cleanly and easy, and he believes he got it all. The next 48 hours will be the most critical, and I'm glad I have the weekend off to wait on the Queen's every need.

It feels really good to have her home, but I know she still has a way to go.

As soon as she got home she was already alert and giving me kisses. She has also been eating and drinking, which is a good sign. You can tell that she is sore, but I can totally understand after looking at the incision.

I just wanted to thank you all again for keeping my girl in your thoughts. It means a lot!

WARNING: The picture of her belly isn't for the faint of heart. I showed it to mum and she couldn't look at it long at all.

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

_

Ouch!
    The Minions:

Ouch! It looks like it's still open at the bottom - was it sewn closed, or maybe, was it glued? (I think I can see suture knots at the top) (sorry, I'm a nurse)

But I am so glad the Queen is home and I bet you are glad to have her back with you! Please give her a gentle kiss from me.

I'm so glad she is home and came thru with flying colors!!! Hugs for you both!

Putting them through surgery is rough and totally drains you mentally.

I'm so glad to hear she's back home and doing well. She'll be in my thougts as that big ouchie on her belly heals.
    And how lucky you are that your sister works there?!

Hugs and smooches for your sweet Jill!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets