Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this food ok?

There are pros and cons to wet and dry food.... They have dry food that is a bigger kibble, which has an abrasive effect on the teeth. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wet or canned foods, but from what I have been taught in school, it is not so great for their teeth. It doesn't have the abrasive effects as dry food does. Now a mix of both wet and dry is a better option, in my opinion. Any dog can do just fine with out any teeth, I've witnessed it several times, they can eat just fine, with either wet or dry food.
    So the very best option for dental health, is to brush your dogs teeth! And routine dental cleanings, as needed.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452 View Post

Canned food is a fine choice for a yorkie mix. I think its dry food that helps knock their teeth out as they age and little dogs need all the teeth they can get. No wild animal eats crunchy pellets and wild animals don't have the dental problems our pets do. Think about it, what sticks to your teeth more, dry cereal or meat? Its the cereal. Cruchy food does not clean teeth. That's a lie. A canned food like Innova Evo or By Nature organics would be as close to 100% meat as a commercial diet allows.
    Very true. Vets always told me to feed my dogs hard kibble instead of soft because it helps their teeth. The exact opposite is true. Also, having added water to their food helps with digestion. Think, wolves in the wild eat meat full of liquids, not bone dry food like kibble is. Just add a bit of water to the kibble and let it soak. I think that's helped Molli's teeth quite a bit, considering she has dental problems.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

We've seen the same amount of disgusting teeth in both kibble and wet food fed dogs in my clinic. Kibble is very sticky when it gets wet from saliva and sticks between their teeth very easily. I don't think you'll see a difference in teeth cleanliness between wet and dry.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Quote Originally Posted by MonicanHonda View Post
    We've seen the same amount of disgusting teeth in both kibble and wet food fed dogs in my clinic. Kibble is very sticky when it gets wet from saliva and sticks between their teeth very easily. I don't think you'll see a difference in teeth cleanliness between wet and dry.
    I totally agree with this.... no food is going to keep a dogs/cats teeth completely clean and free of tartar... the only way to ensure this, is regular brushing, and dental cleanings performed at your veterinarian's office under anesthesia as needed. And just to add about "anesthesia free" or "gentle dentals".... RUN away. It is impossible and inhumane to have this done to your pets. You cannot effectively clean below the gum line without the animal under anesthesia... that would hurt! This is done at some pet stores and groomers. A groomer is not qualified to clean your pets teeth!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)