Thread: Kind of just need someone to talk to about this :)

Threaded View

Kind of just need someone to talk to about this :)

As you all probably know by now, I take in all the strays that come around here, spay and neuter them and put them in an enclosure so they will be safe from my cat killing neighbor. Well, around Christmas time during an ice storm I found another one outside on my deck frozen solid and starving so I took him in and nursed him back to health in our extra garage (alone) because I never put a new cat into the enclosure without being neutered and tested for any diseases first.

Well 'Adolf' (named that because of his black mustache) tested disease free, but when he was being neutered at the clinic for strays they dicovered he had a hidden testicle and they were not equiped to handle that at that time. They said it wouldn't be a problem though for the time being, the testicle was sterile so he couldn't breed or produce anymore unwanted kittens, but there is a risk of it developing cancer when he gets older. So, for that and other reasons, he is being 'spayed' on Wednesday to find that testicle and remove it which can be a complicated surgery but he wil be in good hands.

So, that's Adolf's history with me so far. Now for the rest of his story.

Adolf hates other cats. I have spent countless hours sitting with him out in the enclosure trying to get him to make friends with everyone so he can stay in there, but he still attacks them. They are all okay with him though and have shown no aggression even while being atacked. So after a while I figured it wasn't going to work and I put him up for adoption , which has not worked either because he has a huge attachment to ME. With each adopter, I have explained this behavioral issue with him and told them to be prepared for him to hide and cry but given time he will adjust and be just as attched to them. Well, he was just returned again for the 4th time (in less that 24 hours in his new home) because of the same reason as the others....."he's been hiding and crying like he's in pain the whole time and we didn't know what else to do but call you to come get him" And every time, as soon as I walk in the door he jumps into my arms and frantically head butts me while putting me into a choking bear hug around my neck with his paws. It's ridiculous. These families that have adopted him have been very loving wonderful people, but neither he or them have given each other a chance and I have decided I can't put him or I through that again....so he's staying.

So, now what the heck am I going to do with him? He cant stay in the extra garage alone the rest of his life and he cant roam the neighborhood because it's too dangerous and he wont go into the enclosure. I'm just praying that getting his hidden testicle removed will settle his aggression down and he'll stop the attacks and can go into the enclosure. There really is no other option that I can see. ~deep sigh~

But anyway...thanks for listening...my hubby is sick to death of all my cat dramas and doesnt want to hear about it anymore and some times I just feel so alone with al of this.
    Last edited by Too Many Cats; 03-12-2011 at 06:16 PM.