Thread: Peregrine Falcons in San Jose, CA 2011 update

Peregrine Falcons in San Jose, CA 2011 update

Clara and her mate, Esteban Colbert (EC), are back in San Jose on the City Hall building and they have their first egg of the season (2/25). She will lay about three more eggs, one every two days. Once the third is layed she will begin what is called "hard incubation" until the eggs hatch.

If you'd like to follow them, here is the link.
    Last edited by Taz_Zoee; 05-16-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I have added to my favorites. I used to follow a falcon cam here in Richmond, but I don't think they have it anymore. It's so interesting. Thanks for sharing!

First egg hatched this morning!!! So exciting!!!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

They now have three babies. One more egg to go!!

The San Francisco birds have two of the four. Maybe three, but I haven't confirmed the third yet.

3 of 4 of the babies have fledged. However, the one female fledged too soon and she did not make a safe landing. RIP Unita.
    Females are much larger than males so they usually are the last to fledge. I guess she saw her brothers do it and wanted to do it too. The first fledge was actually an accident. The professionals took him back to the roof, since they need to jump off things and cannot gain altitude from the ground.
    There is still one male (we are thinking he was the last egg to hatch) still hanging around the nestbox. I'm sure he'll also take flight soon.

I don't know if anyone is keeping up on this or not. But I just learned that the female eyas in San Francisco flew into a building and also did not make it. So now we are left with 5 males between San Jose and San Francisco.

RIP Ayah