Thread: Spaying a female dog

Spaying a female dog

Hello,

I have a question is it true if a female dog is spayed she could become more aggressive towards other dogs? specially females?..
    I will spay Ka soon but from what i've read and what people told me i don't want her to be aggressive i'm already dealing with weekly fights between her and blaze last fight was horrible and since ka is the smaller dog she's not a match for blaze's size she comes out with multiple puncture wounds last time she got one right under her left eye n had to be on antibiotics for 5 days and her mood was just awful

I know spaying and neutering is very important Zeus is neutered but blaze and titan wont be since they are my breeding dogs they are going to be the start of my very own kennel for dogs breeding/grooming/boarding/training since we lack GOOD kennels in saudi. So i wanted to spay Ka just to minimize the fights she will be bred once then i'll spay her she's actually with her mate now.

I know you guys think breeding is a bad idea and all but let me explain in saudi arabia we don't have stray dogs running around mostly wild dogs that live in the desserts or so and people here are showing a HUGE interest in owning dogs and for first time owners they are eager to learn we do have a LARGE amount of stray cats though! plus the unborn pups already have homes set up for them with owners i know personally so i don't have to worry about them ending up in a shelter or the streets.

That's absolutely not true, spayed females do not become more aggressive, in fact they can become less aggressive, and it's better for their long-term health, too. No more raging hormones have gotta help!
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know what her personality was before she was spayed (she was already spayed when we got her) but Jadie is the sweetest dog ever. She loves everyone and will lick a child as long as the child lets her. She loves "little people" (that are closer to her size!) because they giggle and squeal as she licks them. (I just go Ewwww, stop that! and make her quit)

My brother's RB dog Manning was super sweet too. A little hyperactive in her younger years, but she was cooped up in an apartment all day while he worked. When he bought his land and she got to run outside, she really calmed down. She was only aggressive in the "protect my home" sort of way that was needed. Beautiful sweet dog.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I've never heard that spaying makes a female MORE aggressive! Quite the opposite, it calms them as they not longer have all those hormones revving them up.

None of my girls have had that problem after being spayed.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Mooshi,

I just wanted to say, that I use a Breeder, who will not let one of his Females become pregnant, UNLESS he has a sufficient number of customers, for the Dogs to be placed. (and no exceptions)
    We had to wait for about 3 months, to get our Female Becca.

I think this should be the only way one could get another Dog.
    If you're not willing to wait, then, you probably didn't need one anyway

I admit the wait was grueling. We already had all the toys, bunks and stuff for a new puppy, from getting Sneakers, so, we didn't have anything to do, just twiddle our thumbs in anticipation !

Have a good Day !
    S.W.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

There was no obvious personality changes with both Molli and my RB Missy. I have never heard of a dog becoming aggressive after they have been spayed!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Contrary to popular belief, spaying or neutering a dog has no direct influence on a dog's inherent temperament. All spaying and neutering does is eliminate behaviours caused by hormonal frustrations or needs, such as (outdoor) marking, urine tasting/licking, and it will also sometimes tone down aggression to a point (not always, and likely not completely). The aggression toning down seems to apply mainly to male dogs and same sex aggression - I don't think that it has quite the same effect on females, based on experience and what I've been told. So spaying Ka might tone down her aggression toward Blaze, but I won't say for sure that it will, so don't set your expectations too high in that regard. And if it's Blaze starting the fights, then spaying Ka might not solve anything. I believe that you'll probably have to find other ways to keep them from fighting by seperating them and also figuring out the root cause. If a spay works, great! I have a feeling it won't unless hormones really are the root cause, and instead it's likely either: Blaze and Ka's temperaments clash and they just don't get along (not all dogs like everybody), there is not enough structure in the way that they're living and so they're aggressing toward eachother out of frustration, it could be inherently breed based (some breeds are more prone to dog aggression and/or same sex aggression than others), or it could be something else entirely. Dogs have lots of reasons for acting out in different ways. Also, is Ka starting the fights, or is Blaze? Have you noticed what seems to trigger a fight?

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutango View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, spaying or neutering a dog has no direct influence on a dog's inherent temperament. All spaying and neutering does is eliminate behaviours caused by hormonal frustrations or needs, such as (outdoor) marking, urine tasting/licking, and it will also sometimes tone down aggression to a point (not always, and likely not completely). The aggression toning down seems to apply mainly to male dogs and same sex aggression - I don't think that it has quite the same effect on females, based on experience and what I've been told. So spaying Ka might tone down her aggression toward Blaze, but I won't say for sure that it will, so don't set your expectations too high in that regard. And if it's Blaze starting the fights, then spaying Ka might not solve anything. I believe that you'll probably have to find other ways to keep them from fighting by seperating them and also figuring out the root cause. If a spay works, great! I have a feeling it won't unless hormones really are the root cause, and instead it's likely either: Blaze and Ka's temperaments clash and they just don't get along (not all dogs like everybody), there is not enough structure in the way that they're living and so they're aggressing toward eachother out of frustration, it could be inherently breed based (some breeds are more prone to dog aggression and/or same sex aggression than others), or it could be something else entirely. Dogs have lots of reasons for acting out in different ways. Also, is Ka starting the fights, or is Blaze? Have you noticed what seems to trigger a fight?

The first fight was triggered when i was away and a friend was feeding the dogs for me she fed them next to each other blaze tried to take some of ka's food and it happened it was ka who started it defending her food. 2nd fight happened when Ka got in heat and blaze was growling whenever ka just walked in front of her and one day they both just snapped and fought, .
    Blaze is the dominant female of my pack and ka knows it already they seemed to get along perfectly till that food incident and everything went bad after that