View Poll Results: What kind of mattress do you sleep on?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pillow Top

16 32.65%
  • Tempurpedic

4 8.16%
  • Sleep Number

4 8.16%
  • Regular Spring Mattress

23 46.94%
  • Other (Please Explain)

2 4.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress Poll: UPDATE 2/20/2011

Mattress Poll: UPDATE 2/20/2011

I was just wondering what kind of mattress that you sleep on. I currently sleep on a Simmons Back Care Pillow Top but it's never really helped my aches and pains in my lower back. For quite a while I've also had shoulder pain and hip pain while I sleep. I'm mainly a side sleeper and I'm looking for a better mattress that will allow me to sleep on my side without pain. I even put a memory foam mattress on top of my pillow top mattress. It helped me for a while but lately it doesn't help much either.

I think I'll be looking at the Tempurpedic mattresses to see if these would be best for me. I also recently injured my right shoulder and I'm still on pain meds for this. Even with the pain meds, I still have pain while sleeping. For those of you who do sleep on Tempurpedic mattresses, do they really help your aches and pains? How does the Sleep Number bed compare to the Tempurpedic?
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 02-20-2011 at 04:12 PM.

I don't know what it is but it's way too soft. Sometimes it makes my back hurt but I'm renting a room right now and it came with.

Niño & Eliza

The closest I'm going to get to a Tempurpedic is a memory foam "topper". I have that, plus a feather bed and a brand new mattress and box spring (serta I think). After years of sleeping on a cheap, "refurbished" (don't ask) mattress and years of abuse on my back working on the ambulance, it needs to be pampered!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have a memory foam mattress (not just a topper), and it's the best mattress I've ever had. It's not the fancy brand name of Tempurpedic, but basically the same thing. Prior to that I had a waterbed, but with my back problems, I could never get the right adjustment on it, and it was murder on my back toward the end. Prior to that it was an innerspring mattress. I'll never have one of those again!

I had looked into a sleep number before I bought the Memory foam, but besides them being outrageously expensive, I read too many bad reviews. They don't hold at the number you set them at (something about atmospheric pressure affecting them), and they also tend to build up mold and mildew - can't remember why tho. There's many places on line where you can read reviews on them. My brother had one and didn't like it either, and went with a Tempurpedic, which he wouldn't trade for the world.

Hope this helps, and that you can find the system that is right for you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I detest buying mattresses. There are no standards, no way to compare ANYTHING!

I've needed a new on for a while now -- they say you should replace very 10 years; mine is 16 years and counting. I've been fretting over this for 5 years now. What if I spend the money and can't sleep on it?

I have the basic spring mattress, and plan to get that again. Which one? Every store has their own "model" for every brand, you can't do comparison shopping. Lying on it in the store for 3 minutes isn't going to tell me what a full night's sleep is like.

I am a stomach sleeper, and that makes it ever harder; only about 10% of the population are stomach sleepers.

Good luck, I hope you make a great choice for you.

I love my bed! I have box springs and a mattress. It is still comfortable after 10 or more years (I lost count). The best part of my bed is two kitties purring while I sleep.

We have a pillow top. It's time to get a new one and I want a Tempurpedic. But I'd like to try one first. My niece has one (and loves it) but I have not slept on it.....yet. I was going to one night and then she was sick.
    My parents and my brother and his wife have the Sleep Number. They all love it. Yes, they had mold issues, but the company has fixed that problem going forward and replaced the part for my parents and brother.
    My friends parents have a Sleep Number and they HATE it. So it just depends.
    Some hotels have tempurpedics. I wish I knew which ones, cuz I'd go stay in one just to try it out. LOL Don't they have a 30 day trial for them?
    I also need to get one of those pillows that have the neck support. Right now I'm using a bath towel rolled up around my neck (chiropractor suggestion). But in the summer that will be too HOT!

I will check back on this thread to see how others respond. Great idea for a thread Tracey, thanks!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Thanks for all of the responses. I really don't think that I want to have another mattress with springs in it. What I plan on doing is to put my current mattress in the second bedroom and then get rid of the bed in that room. The mattress in the second bedroom is in horrible shape and I can't believe that my former roommates never complained about it. I'm hoping that I won't have to pay much extra for the delivery people to switch my beds around like this.

Luckily I have several mattress stores to choose from and I think that most of them also have payment plans. Most of the Tempurpedic beds have a 20 year warranty too. I think that both Mancini's and Mattress Discounters lets you sleep on the mattresses for about 60 days and if you still aren't satisfied then you can return it provided it's not stained or in bad condition. I believe that Sleep Train lets you sleep on the mattress for 100 days. I also found a Tempur-Pedic Authorized Dealer which is close to me so I'm going to call them first to find more about their prices/deals etc. I hope to finally get a good nights sleep and wake up pain free soon.

Sleep Number! 10 years! Just sayin'
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I have the memory foam also. I tried a water bed with seperate cylinders thinking it would be better but NOT. Then I decided to try a spring matress that said ortho-pedic and it was the worst thing I ever bought. I went back to foam and chose the memory foam and haven't looked back once.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

My Sleep Number is 45.

Well I ordered my new mattress and I decided on a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe which is the most luxurious of the Cloud Collection. It's both soft and firm at the same time whereas the Cloud is just soft. When I called the Tempur-Pedic Authorized Dealer store I found out that they're actually called "Relax The Back" so they specialize in back related products and ergonomic products.

They had 6 different Tempurpedic models on display and 2 similar models that are only sold by their store. I went around once and then I narrowed it down to 3 mattresses. I laid down on the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe for several minutes on my right injured shoulder and I was so relaxed that I could've fallen asleep right there. I know I made the right choice. Yes, it's expensive but I don't plan on buying another mattress again. I'm sure this one should last me the rest of my life. All Tempurpedic mattresses have a 90 day trial period so if for some reason I don't like it then I can return it.

They'll order it on Monday and it should arrive in 2-3 weeks. Then they'll deliver it free of charge and also remove the old bed in my second bedroom and put my current bed in my second bedroom free of charge. The lady said that they'd only charge me extra if they had to go to a different location to get another bed. Luckily I have excellent credit so I qualifed for more than the price of the mattress and foundantion. They're also giving me the bed frame for free. They're also letting me pay this off on a 36 month payment plan. At first the lady said 12 months but I told her that I would need more time because she had even told me that they had 36 month plans when I called her. She went in the back to talk to the owner and I was approved for the plan I wanted.

I'll keep you updated and let you know if my sleep and aches and pains go away. I also asked the lady about sleeping on your stomach which I used to do until my back hurt too much. She said that this is the worst position to sleep in because it hurts your spine and also your neck. She said that sleeping on your back or side are the best positions to sleep in so I'll continue to do this. I also brought in my memory pillow so that I could try out the mattresses with it. The lady suggested this when I called her and it was an excellent idea. They had the Tempurpedic pillows which felt too hard to me. Sorry for rambling on and on.

Not rambling, that was all good info.

Good job getting the payment plan you wanted!

Now for the wait. . . . .

I have top of the line Stearns and Foster. Does it make a difference, I don't think so actually. I think I got ripped out of a good $2500 for my mattress. I am heavier, so I wanted something that would hold up to my weight, and any one else's weight that would also be on it. This one had really well supported sides and is a good 20" tall. I still think that if I would have thought things through a little better, not been so impetuous, and researched a bit more, I would have found a mattress a little cheaper that also would hold up to my weight. The last Stearns and Foster I had before also SUNK in the middle about 6", and I'm hoping I don't have to deal with that with this one. They are expensive and supposed to be superior, but the sagging is not acceptable.

I was at one point thinking about the Tempur Pedic, but I was unsure about how they support a larger sized person, and if they would also sag in a few years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    I have top of the line Stearns and Foster. Does it make a difference, I don't think so actually. I think I got ripped out of a good $2500 for my mattress. I am heavier, so I wanted something that would hold up to my weight, and any one else's weight that would also be on it. This one had really well supported sides and is a good 20" tall. I still think that if I would have thought things through a little better, not been so impetuous, and researched a bit more, I would have found a mattress a little cheaper that also would hold up to my weight. The last Stearns and Foster I had before also SUNK in the middle about 6", and I'm hoping I don't have to deal with that with this one. They are expensive and supposed to be superior, but the sagging is not acceptable.

I was at one point thinking about the Tempur Pedic, but I was unsure about how they support a larger sized person, and if they would also sag in a few years as well.
    I'm sorry to hear this Jenn. Several of the Tempurpedic Mattresses that I tried out yesterday were very sturdy and firm. They were too firm for me though. They now make many different kinds. The only bad thing is that they are very expensive and the price is set so it doesn't matter where you buy them. The stores can offer free delivery,set up,haul away of bed, free bed frame, and most of them are also offering better payment plan options especially if you buy the more expensive mattresses. Tempurpedic also gives you 90 days to try them out so if one mattress doesn't work for you then you can exhange it for another different one. Here's their website which has all of the different kinds of mattresses:http://www.tempurpedic.com/tempur-pe...FQUSbAodN3wNBg.