Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new dog!!

Hybrid View

My new dog!!

Well after 3 months of talking to dog owners I have A dog.We went to a new shelter when I saw the dog of my dreams a Black Lab a breed I thought I would never get.When we went into the room I feel in love with his eyes they were so deep and calm.Thanks for all the information you guys gave me about different breeds.(I will still be going on Dog Of The Day!!)

Congratulations on you new family member.
    Labs are wonderful dogs, (not that all
    dogs aren't wonderful).

Congratulations, you got your dog!!! I am so happy that you decided to "adopt" and it seems like this dog picked you.
    Be prepared for some adjustments as your dog and you get acclimated to your new life together, and remember to share your stories with us. But don't forget the details...It is a boy or a girl? Have we chosen a name yet? Do you know anything about its past..a surrendered dog or a stay?

Congratulations!!! Great to hear that you went to a shelter!! Shelters or rescue sites are THE places to go!!!

Sorry Rachael its a boy,it was a stray and its name is Goblin (we did not pick the name)

Wonderful!!!! You saved a life!! Good luck to you both. I'm sure Goblin will love you so much for saving him.

------------------
    ***Save a life, ADOPT***

Congratulations and good luck! One thing, though, change his name! Goblin has such awful connotations...

Don't worry about renaming a dog, he was probably given the name by the shelter and hasn't had the chance to really learn it anyway. Even if he hasn't, a smart dog will usually learn a new name in less than two weeks and a not so bright dog will usually learn a new name in less than a month. Names ending in "a" "o" or "y" are the easiest for a dog to learn.

Even if you don't change his name, please, please take him to obedience training. If you get a good instructor, you will learn wonderful things about your dog and this will help you and your dog to understand each other. The best relationship you can have with your dog is one where your dog understands his place in your home. He will be happier and you will have a loving, well behaved, and loyal new member of your family.

Good Luck!!!!

Hrm...I rather like the name "Goblin"--but then, I have an odd sense of humor.

Congratulations on your new dog! Let us know when you've got pictures posted.

Hey SheltieLover!! Are you going to change YOUR name to LaboradorLover now? I think Goblin is fine if you like it for the dog! Congratulations on your new dog. You have gone about making a decision the right way. Keep us informed about Goblin!

When I adopted Tucker, his name was Buddy. He had no problem adjusting to his new name at all. I called him Tucker Buddy for a day or two and then dropped the Buddy part. Also I heard that in naming dogs it is best to use a name with two syllables as so not to confuse his name with commands, as most commands have one syllable (come, down, sit, off).

Hey, try to say LabLover three times real fast.

And again, I have to say I am so glad you found your dog at a shelter.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited November 12, 2000).]

Congrats on adopting Goblin(?), or whatever his new name might turn out to be. You chose well with a Lab, but then I'm biased! Enjoy the new addition to your family!!

OOO!! Good for you!!! Prepare for the time of your life! Am so glad you found each other!! I think Goblin is a great name! Good luck! Have lots iof fun with your pup and keep us updated!!

I am delighted to hear about the new fur baby in your family. How old is he? I had a lab for 13 years, he was a gentle giant. I am sure you will adore him, and him you. Sophies Daddy was correct about obedience...I feel that pound dogs often have lower self esteem, putting him through basic obediance will not only secure your roll as alpha, but it will also build a strong bond between dog and owner, also it will help your dogs' self esteem, and it'll give him a great chance to prove his love to you. Not to mention, it's loads and loads of fun

I am so glad you decided to go to the shelters for your friend. It's amazing how you can go in thinking you will get a certain type of dog and walk out with a completely different opinion of what you want. Those beautiful, sad eyes that hold so much sadness, stairing at you from behind bars, do amazing things. May you have many, many wonderful, special years with your Goblin.

Well me and him are going to go to Trainning classes together and I `m not going to change my name even though I now own a Lab I still have a special place for Shelties in my heart!!

Oh i`m sorry I thought I included it he is
    4 1/2 months old .