Thread: I have a very sick kitty!

Hybrid View

I have a very sick kitty!

Our cat Gabby has been sick for awhile now and we thought it was a digestive problem so the vet and I tried different diets. Evidently that was not it as he kept getting worse. Anyhow I managed to get a stool sample this morning and brought Gabby to the vet.

The news is not good.

He has the Feline Immunodeficiench Fivrus or FIV for short. I think he has had it since he was rescued from Hurrican Katrina as he never has grown as much as a normal cat should and has always been skinny even when he eats well. But the pass couple of weeks he has been getting worse. Last night he had a high fever so I spent most of the night up with him and wiping him with a cool rag. Finally the fever broke and I got him to drink some water. But he would not eat.

Anyhow when I got home from the vet today he ate like it was going out of style all evening. Doc said to go ahead and feed him whatever he wanted. I happened to have some left over chicken, which he loves, and so I shredded that and he gobbled it up. He also ate some dry food then went to the water fountain and drank lots of water. He is sleeping peacefully right now with no fever.

We will have him put to sleep next Monday or Tuesday. Want to wait so that Wayne will be home to tell his little "pal" bye. I also need him here to help bury him in our cat cementary. If he gets worse in the meanwhile I will just have to let the vet put him to sleep and cremate him. Sigh...

Here is a photo of him before he got real sick and lost weight.

Welcome to PT! I'm so sorry to hear that Gabby has FIV and that's he so sick. I thought that although cats will have a weaker immune system with FIV that they can still live long fairly normal lives. I know that several people on PT have cats with FIV. He sure is a very handsome boy. I'm a huge orangie fan. I hope that a miracle will happen and he'll become stronger and will be able to gain some weight back. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Poor Gabby, give him a kiss from me!
    I've Been Frosted

I have fostered cats with FIV and they DO NOT have to be PTS. If he can get healthier and regain some weight, he could live a full and healthy life. Please give this poor boy a chance. FIV is not a death sentence, it's only one if you make it one.

My kitty, Honeybun, has FIV. I've had him for about 5 years, and he's about 15 years old, if not a bit older. He has had FIV for years and years. It is NOT easily transmissable, and once a cat is healthy, they can live full lives. Give your guy a chance, please. Many vets will just say to put them to sleep, but that does not have to be the alternative. Most live full, very healthy lives. It's only when they contract something else that their immune system has a hard time dealing with it. Get him healthy, to a good weight, and he'll make you a very happy FIV+ kitty owner.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Please don't give up on him yet. It just sounds like he isn't ready to leave for RB at this point. He's eating and drinking and seems comfortable, so what's the hurry? As long as he continues this way, it seems he's not in any pain or distress. See what Jenn posted. Gabby could still have a lot of good years left.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yes, my Bobby is also FIV+. Cats do NOT get sick and / or die from FIV. It weakens the immune system, so they need more help fighting off illness and disease. There is an underlying problem which it sounds like has not yet been diagnosed.

Something as simple as a URI, aka "kitty cold," can be tough for an FIV+ kitty to fight off. My vet will start antibiotics sooner w/Bobby than with another cat.

Also, an FIV+ cat should not have a regular rabies shot, which includes live rabies virus. They get the rabies shot with the killed virus.

Finally, FIV is NOT diagnosed from a stool sample! It is diagnosed from a blood test.

Please take Gabby to another vet.

FIV+ cats can live long lives! Please do not give up on him. Just make him happy and comfortable for as long as possible.

Just because a cat is FIV+, is NOT a death sentence. Please re-think your decision!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!