Thread: A unnecessary tragedy thanks to Delta Dash

A unnecessary tragedy thanks to Delta Dash

A friend of mine sent me this tragic story. DO NOT USE DELTA DASH!!!!

Hi Everyone, Last night our family experienced the worst tragedy I have ever personally experienced & I wanted to post this hoping to reach as many Sphynx cat owners & breeders as I possibly can.

We purchased an 11 week old Sphynx kitten from a breeder & her flight was scheduled to come in last night at 8:40PM on Delta Flight # 738 into BDL (Hartford). (Climate controlled cargo by Delta Dash)

We arrived at the airport at 8:15pm, camera & 2 kids in hand to pick up our long awaited new arrival. We immediately went to baggage claim where we would pick her up from her long flight from Utah.

When we arrived, we were told to go sit by the conveyors for luggage & that as soon as the plane was unloaded, they would bring our new family member out to us. We waited & waited & at 8:50 I went to the baggage claim & asked for an update. I told the woman that the kitten was a Sphynx & had no hair & that I was beginning to worry since it was only 7 degrees outside. I was told the flight had arrived on time (8:40pm), but to sit back down, that the cargo hold latch was stuck, but they were doing all they could & would bring her out as soon as they could.

I wasn't incredibly alarmed, After all, I paid $290 for her to be in a climate controlled cargo area. I figured she would be fine as long as she wasn't outdoors. At 9:30pm, they brought the carrier out to me & the woman who handed the carrier to me told me I should take her out & that the carrier was very cold. She removed the zip ties & I took the carrier to the floor & opened the door.

The kitten was ICE cold, limp, and unresponsive. I IMMEDIATELY put her into my coat, grabbed my kids by the hands & ran out of the airport to get her into my car & cranked up the heat putting all vents on her as I rubbed her trying to warm her up.

She couldn't lift or control any limbs, her breathing was labored, she had a blank stare in her eyes, and she let out a meow. As if to say help me -- please.

We rushed her to the emergency vet clinic, but to my utter devastation, on the drive, she let out a blood curdling cry & went completely limp as we frantically drove to the vet.

When we arrived, I literally ran in, and gave her to the nurse who whisked her into the back. After 10 minutes, a vet came out & told me that she that she was "DOA" and that there was nothing they could have done to save her. There was nothing I could have done to save her either.

The vet then explained to me that once a plane lands, the cargo compartment depressurizes & there is no longer climate control. She told me that she didn't stand a chance in this freezing weather sitting in the Delta Cargo hold for almost 50 minutes.

I spent the rest of the night last night crying & more or less having a nervous breakdown. She died cold, lonely & scared. Her last hour of life was spent frozen & unable to escape. I am so utterly devastated -- I cannot express to anyone how this feels. I am so sad for her, her little 11 week life lost for no reason. A tragedy that could have been prevented if the airline had valued her little promising life.

Delta didn't have much to say to me last night & I am waiting for the president of cargo to call me today, the bottom line is that they can't bring her back to me or my family, there is nothing they can say or do to make this whole. We don't want a new kitten, we fell in love with HER. She was our new child & there is nothing that can be done to bring her home to us. Snickers lost her life unnecessarily.

I just hope that by reading this, I can save someone else the devastation. If you are buying a kitten & live in a cold climate -- PLEASE RETHINK SHIPMENT WHEN IT IS BELOW 30 degrees. If you are a breeder -- PLEASE RETHINK SHIPMENT if you are shipping to an area below 30 degrees. You can put a kitten in a climate controlled cargo, but if it depressurizes -- IT IS NO LONGER CLIMATE CONTROLLED.

Please please please don't let another kitten die, be patient, let it warm up a bit. As we all know, these hairless creatures are the most loving wonderful animals, but they just don't stand a chance against a cargo area that is utterly freezing with employees who are more concerned with getting luggage to their respective owners. Value life everyone, I have just experienced something I pray no one here has too. Don't let Snickers lost life be in vain, I pray you guys read this & maybe another kittens life won't be lost to the cold & lonely Delta Cargo holds.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh my, I am in tears. That is so horribly tragic. And to think it could (and should) have been avoided.

RIP Snickers
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

That is HORRIBLE! I know darn well how the system works and I'd NEVER allow a pet to travel without me. It's the only way to be sure THEIR best interests are looked after and not the airlines "records". I think even if it were a furried friend, they would have suffered. What a tragedy. The sole responsibility here falls squarely on Delta. Everyone in this situation was promised a service...a LIFE was put in their hands for transport. If they cannot provide that service, they shouldn't say they can and shouldn't be taking peoples money for a service they clearly cannot supply. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when it's FREEZING out, you put the "live luggage" first on the priority list. I wonder what percent of flights have animals on board. I can't imagine that many. So I would hope they would treat these special passengers as just that...special.
    I have a friend who moved from FL to NYC. She has three cats. She paid for two friends to fly with one cat each (three was the airline limit.one per person). I thought that was a true purrent.
    I've heard so many stories of people traveling or shipping pets that ended badly. I wouldn't let my kitty out of my sight if I were forced to relocate.
    So very sad.

This is so sad. I hope that other breeders and potential adopters from breeders will read this. I too believe that it's best for an animal to fly in the plane with some one. When I adopted both Pearl & Ziggy from Arizona, I flew there and then they flew back with me.

Poor Little Snickers.
    That is reprehensible when a com-pany advertises something, and charges for a service, and then does not care if they can fulfill theiir job.
    Especially when it comes to the life of a Creature of Our Lord God.

Our Awesome Angels Army has taken Snickers to Greece where they are staying and Snickers has her Wings of Silver and Gold now, and will be an Eternal Baby Angel furrever.
    What a shame that you never really got to know and love her.
    She will be there and you will be friends years from now in Paradise.
    One Fine Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

LES here for poor little Snickers. This baby never had a chance! As for Delta Dash, they should be charged with animal abuse then sued out of business. This is an outrage!

RIP sweet Snickers
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    This is so sad. I hope that other breeders and potential adopters from breeders will read this. I too believe that it's best for an animal to fly in the plane with some one. When I adopted both Pearl & Ziggy from Arizona, I flew there and then they flew back with me.
    I agree with Tracey. If someone is going to spend a significant amount of money to buy a pet from 2000 miles away, they might as well spend a bit more. One of that family should have flown to Utah, and brought the cat back in a carrier placed under their seat.

I cannot fathom why anyone would consider transporting a pet, in the cargo hold (pressurized or not), in the dead of winter - or even in the heat of summer. The airline and the buyers share equally - IMHO.

Poor kitty - never had a chance

This is why I'm involved with transport.
    None of our charges are let out of our sight. If they fly someone is with them, if by ground the transport is monitored so that each stop and each exchange go smoothly.
    I cover the Baltimore to Boston route. Most lately are N.J. to Boston. I started doing this too eliminate the number of stops. Most transport runs are 45-90 minuets long. each stop and exchange can take 5-15 minutes. By doing the Jersey to Boston it eliminates several stops and the time in the carrier. If I have to make a stop the car is never unattended. I have heard of this type of thing happening before. Cold and heat are the worst for traveling animals..

My Penny came from CA. she traveled business class with a friend. If not at that time she would have traveled first class with a lawyer 2 weeks later. Always hand carried and in the cabin.
    GILL & Crew;

If only someone had told them about the Pilots and Paws program. A non-profit that is run by volunteer pilots who own the planes.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I cannot fathom why anyone would consider transporting a pet, in the cargo hold (pressurized or not), in the dead of winter - or even in the heat of summer. The airline and the buyers share equally - IMHO.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

The airline is totally at fault here...but I feel for any of the ground crew who have pets of their own; I bet they were panicked and heartbroken.

RIP poor Snickers. I hope your tragedy prevents this ever happening to another kitty again.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda