Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rufus - FIV positive needs home ASAP Update 2.8 #40

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Rufus - FIV positive needs home ASAP Update 2.8 #40

Rhoda is a friend in Midland, Michigan. She volunteers at their shelter and has fallen in love with Rufus. He was scheduled to be spayed and placed up for adoption but tested FIV positive. Rhoda is working very hard to find a home for Rufus or else he will have to be put down.

Rhoda says that if we can find a home for him within 400 miles of Midland, Michigan, they will arrange for transportation.

If you have an ideas or suggestions of shelters or homes for him, please post it here and I will forward them to Rhoda.

Here's some background on this precious boy.

Rufus is another one of my favorites. Please allow me to tell you about Rufus.

He came into Animal Control in a trap and they would not let me open his cage. The officers said he was totally feral. This was just before New Years and after they stopped taking animals in, but they had to take Rufus because he was in a trap. Well guess what? Sylvia and I put our name on him. He came in right after the floors were redone. They had to keep him for 4 days by law. Then after we put our name on him, they had to give us 48 hour notice before putting him to the gas chamber and they didn't have 48 hours before we took over. They were shocked we put our name on him.

Well, I started working with Rufus the very day we took over. I talked and talked to him. Our new director wouldn't go near him either as she thought he was feral. I bought gloves and inched my hand closer to him each day because he looked absolutely terrified. Here is what I wrote about Rufus each time I did my report. I put out a report twice a week.

The report I put out is always a continuation on an animal, so the paragraphs are in different colors on the report, so this is a compilation of reports since the 1st of the year and I won't color them, but they were written on different days. You should be able to see where one report continues with another from the 1st of the year through yesterday.

Brown tabby, male, intact - either feral or really scared. I lean to both. I have been talking to him and today did put on gloves and managed to touch his side and feet. MAC would not even allow me to open his door. He cries but has not attempted to attack me as yet; however, I would not attempt to pet him with my bare hand. His ears were erect today and not laid back as they have been. His pupils were not quite so dilated. He sits on the shelf and I cannot reach him any more than his side because I'm too short and I find nothing there to stand on. I'll continue working with him and hate to see him euthanized but he is definitely not adoptable at the present time. However, he could be sedated and neutered or TNRd to a barn. He's an otherwise nice cat and looks very healthy, but he's about as far from social as I have seen.

Today I purchased a step stool so that I can reach this cat. He sits on that shelf and just watches me as I clean his litter pan and change his newspaper and fill his food dish.

I would also like to clarify that when I say that I don't think a cat is adoptable, I mean that I do not believe it will fit into a family situation with children holding it and playing with it. A kitty like this can definitely be taken by someone who wants a cat that might not make a lap cat or might be an indoor/outdoor cat or a barn cat. I personally am falling in love with this cat - so what's new in that regard.

Yesterday was an emotional breakthrough. He allowed me to pet him and once he did, he continually rubbed up against my glove for more. I have named him "Rufus". He is no longer a number.

Today, I took my gloves off because he was waiting at the cage door for me. I pet him and rubbed him all over with my hands, talking to him all the time. He is very vocal and still cries continually but is now craving attention.

Mariah was also able to pet him. He backs off for a few moments from members he doesn't know, but will warm up once he realizes no one is going to hurt him.

Rufus has some sort of an injury. Terri and I were able to take him out of the cage today. While I held him Terri examined him and he has a rather old wound, perhaps from a fight. It is in and underneath the tail area. There was discussion about sedating him for a neuter and shaving that area of distress at the same time. He's pulling at it and there is a scab about ready to fall off and there is loss of hair. I'm sure he is uncomfortable.

Terri believes he is about 1-1/2 years old.

All we really know about him is that he was found in a trap. I'm assuming it was a cage-type trap.

Rufus made my day yesterday and today was even better.

Rhoda

C??-11 - Rufus has been moved from isolation to the cat room. Brown tabby male - age 1-1/2 years.

Today I purchased cat clippers at PetsMart with a gift certificate that a cyber friend of mine sent to me. We desperately need a pair of professional clippers in the facility because Rufus and another long haired female cat that just came in need to be shaved and there will also be others. Barry has clippers but he always carries his with him because his wife cuts his hair with them. We need a pair for the facility and Rufus will benefit from them first.

I held Rufus for quite some time today also. One of the members noticed yesterday that he didn't seem to follow his food dish with his eyes and wondered if he was seeing properly. I tested him several times today and sometimes he followed my hand and other times he seemed oblivious to it. I will take in a swinging toy tomorrow and test him with that. His eyes don't "look" cloudy or anything but one never can tell and I thought that was a good observation. Rufus has stolen a piece of my heart and of others also. It just seems that he was never loved and is only now finding out about it.

Terri is going to sedate him. She has the sedative on order. She will then neuter him and tend to his wound.

The good news is - now that everyone loves Rufus.
    Later that day, Rhoda posted this:

I had to leave the shelter. I just cannot deal with it - not Rufus. There is an organization in Grand Rapids that takes FIV cats and we've e-mailed them but last we heard there is a waiting list. I cannot handle it. No, I cannot. I don't know what I am going to do. I will have to quit. I'm beside myself right now. I cannot see. I've done nothing but cry.

Terri and I warmed his towel in the dryer. He was put under for neutering. Hs terrible wound was shaved and exposed and medicated first while we awaited results of the 3-snap test.

After the positive reading, he will not now be neutered of course. We can't put him with any other cats. No one will adopt him. He cannot even be a barn cat.

My Rufus that I love so much. I should have never gotten involved in shelter work. Right now I am limp with grief.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 02-08-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Title
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Would he be able to live in a two-room apartment with five other cats?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

First of all Rufus doesn't need to be put to sleep just because he is FIV+. As long as he can get along with other cats without fighting he should be fine living with other cats. He would be find living with other cats in a two bedroom. I currently have three FIV+ cats, two live with my boyfriend, and one is a recently rescue, because he was in a high kill shelter and was going to be put down so I took him. Owen currently lives with me in a separate room because he was very sick when I pulled him from the shelter. He just got neutered and might be going to join my other two FIV+ cats and might stay with me. If he stays with me, he will be let out of the bathroom to be with the others. My vet says as long as the cats don't fight and I mean really fight then it is fine to be together.
    The reason the other two live with my boyfriend is because when I rescued my very first FIV+ cat, Ivy, I had another vet and she told me they couldn't be around other cats etc. Acted as though if they did get around each other at all then it would be a death sentence for my negative cats. At the time I didn't know any different, now I have a more informed vet and i know different. Colby and Scooter live with Tom, Scooter was Ivy's best buddy. Ivy passed away at 13 yrs old. Scooter has had major health issues lately and I am not sure letting Owen over there right now would be the best thing for Scooter so that is why he might stay at my house. Colby although would love to have a buddy to play with since scooter doesn't feel much like playing.
    I realize people are scared when they find out a cat is FIV+ , if so they can always separate them in the same apt or house and everything should be fine. I really can't take another cat right now but don't want Rufus to be put down either. Please keep me updated and if it comes down to him being put down or not I will take him to foster him while you find a place for him. He will have to be neutered and utd on shots etc. I can't afford and of that right now.
    Melissa

What Melissa said.

My Bobby is FIV+ and lives here with 9 other cats who are not. No one fights, so no risk to any of the other 9. They are all indoor and have free roam of the house and cellar. Bobby has lived with me for 4 years.

I hope someone can rescue Rufus.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Would he be able to live in a two-room apartment with five other cats?

phesina ~ I have e-mailed Rhoda with your question and asked her if I can pass on her contact information. Hopefully, I'll hear back soon. Rhoda may even decide to join this site, I sure hope so. She would be a fantastic member.

They just took over the shelter on January 1. It was a very hard, long drawn out battle but Rhoda and the other volunteers would not give up until they shut down the gas chamber.

Since they are just starting out, it could be that they do not have room to isolate FIV positive kitties. Whatever the reason, Rhoda is determined to save this sweet boy.

Link to the shelter: http://www.hsomc.org/

As soon as I get Rhoda's permission to give you her contact info, I will PM you.

In case you guys doubted, there are angels here on earth. One of them I know lives in Midland, Michigan. And another lives in Ann Arbor.

Here's hoping that this all works out and this sweet boy can find his forever home.

Rufus on petfinder: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18380737

Please contact the shelter if interested at (989) 948 8804 or 989-835-1877.

Aw, that Petfinder posting is not accurate.

He CAN live w/ other cats.

FIV is like HIV and NOT AT ALL LIKE AIDS. People DIE of AIDS. People do not die of HIV, and cats do not die of FIV.

HIV can and usually does mutate into AIDS.
    FIV never mutates.

Yes, that is what I have heard about FIV-positive cats. It is spread by fierce fights with biting and scratching, i.e., direct transmission via bodily fluids of the infected cat through open wounds, not by everyday ordinary, peaceful encounters of cats with each other.

The other thing I have heard is that the FIV test can show false-positive results. We had an FIV-positive cat at the shelter I was just let go from, so he was kept in his cage. A month later he had another test, I think a couple more tests since, which have been negative. Now he is out and about playing with all the others.

Please have this shelter give this guy some time to give him another test. Maybe he is a false-positive too. Even if he's not, Rhoda may very likely be able to take him home herself after all .

And Ann Arbor is certainly a lot less than 400 miles from Midland!

We can and will keep Rufus alive somehow and somewhere.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittleky View Post
    He would be find living with other cats in a two bedroom.
    It's just two ROOMS, period! Well, the bathroom is a third room, I guess ! Every new one has started out there.
    Death thought about it.

Phesina, it would be great if you could save Rufus and give him a loving home. My FIV+ boys have been my most loving, best behaviored and most favorite of all my babies! They are very special and sounds like Rufus fits in that group! I think Rhonda should consider keeping him since she is in love with him and he trusts her.
    Melissa

Wait, I'm confused. Why would his FIV+ status make him no longer a candidate for neutering? If he is going to a home with other cats, it seems inappropriate that he not be neutered- why risk the intact male behaviors? Also, don't altered cats generally live longer and healthier lives than non-altered cats?

He's so handsome, I hope a living arrangement can be worked out for him.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

12. Rufus on the shelter's Facebook page (which is public, viewable by people who aren't Facebook members):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7968090&ref=mf

If you're a Facebook member and Like the shelter's page there

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Humane...20425237968090

you can Share the link about Rufus you'll find there with your friends list.

I want to second what Lisa said about Rhoda -- she is an angel on Earth. I'd say the same thing about Lisa. (I've known both of them for years.) I've met so many angels through pet forums.

Cindy

I think the reason they weren't going to neuter him is because he is FIV+. They figure they will put him to sleep so why bother neutering him. That is what I figure their reason was.
    Melissa

I unfortunately live much too far away to help but in the past I have also had both positive and negative cats living together for many yearswith absolutely no ill effects! My vet says it is safe to do this too! I hope you can help this handsome boy!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

I e-mailed Rhoda this afternoon.. Will keep you all posted!
    Death thought about it.