Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hospital visit - again Update #27

hospital visit - again Update #27

I just spent pretty much the last 4 days in the hospital... if you count Sunday at the ER.

I have a horrible kidney infection. Plus, we've discovered I'm diabetic. Lots of changes being made. *sigh*
    It's scary but doable...

Anyone have advice for me?
    Last edited by Scooter's Mom; 01-09-2011 at 11:20 PM.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Hugs to you, Crystal!

Find and take a DOE class - Diabetes Outpatient Education. Have your husband attend with you. Insurance should cover it.

Take your meds, you will feel lots better once the kidney infection is healing, hang in there.

HUGS. I have no advice except what Freedom said.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It's a huge shock.
    The only people I have known personally, very well, with diabetes... well, they're both gone because of the disease. I'm pretty frightened.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016

That is why you need to LEARN about the disease. It CAN be controlled, and you can learn how to do that. It is a steep learning curve, at least it was for me, as I had never been taught anything about foods.

Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, diabetic. hosts "dLife" Sundays on CNBC 7:00 PM ET, 6:00 PM CT, 4:00 PM PT

She didn't think she would be Miss America - DONE!
    Didn't think anyone would marry her - DONE!
    Didn't think she could have a child - DONE!

http://www.dlife.com

I was diagnosed boarder line diabetic years ago. Didn't surprise me as EVERY family member has it. I lost 60lbs and it's under control. You just have to get sick and tired of being sick and tired. That's the only diet I've known to work. I agree with educating yourself and learn to take care of yourself. Little things make a big difference. Don't eat anything white...sugar, flour, milk etc. Whole grains and nuts are great. I remember waking up one morning with my blood sugar so low I could barely crawl to the fridge to get a yogurt and shaking uncontrolably. It's scary but it's manageable which there are many diseases that aren't. Blood samples suck but it's the only way to see where you really are. Hugs to you. It sucks but it beats the alternative.

Are you back at work tomorrow?

If you are home, see if you can meet w/ nurse at your local senior center; she can direct you to places for info and support.

Here is a link to the American Diabetes Assoc:
    http://www.diabetes.org/

Call them toll free 8:30 AM to 8 PM (eastern time) for support, they can help connect you up with support and training in your area: 1-800-DIABETES

As you gain information and knowledge, and learn how to control this, you will be less frightened.

The dr. at the hospital asked me to stay off 'til Monday. I have an appointment with my family dr. on Saturday (they will be the ones to fill out my FMLA papers).

There are diabetes classes at a somewhat local hospital the 1st Tuesday of each month (I missed it this month) covered by insurance... I will try to make the next one (since insurance covers it!).

Guess I am "lucky" in the sense that I already have an endocrinologist from when I had my parathyroid tumor. I won't have to be a new patient, but can call and get in as an already established patient. Good thing - he is difficult to get in to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    It's a huge shock.
    The only people I have known personally, very well, with diabetes... well, they're both gone because of the disease. I'm pretty frightened.
    Are you Type 1 or Type 2?

I was diagnosed with T2 almost 6 years ago, and am still around to talk about it I control with diet, exercise and one medication, Metformin.

I agree with the others - go to classes, you're seeing an Endocrinologist which is great, get a meter and test, test, test. That's the only way you will know how different foods affect you. The motto for diabetics is YMMV - your mileage may vary. Each of us reacts differently to different foods - what might be bad for me, might not cause you any problems. So testing will help you in that respect.

I highly recommend this book - http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...chen+e.+becker

I don't have much advice either, but I am here if you need me. I know what it's like to be in and out of hospitals. Hope you get better soon You're a trooper for sure!

Don't be scared, I know plenty of people who have lived good, long lives with diabetes. Eduction is the key, avoiding starches like rice and potato at first until you get used to what your body can handle.
    I've Been Frosted

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last March. Like Grace, I take metformin, watch my diet, and exercise. For me, exercise has been especially helpful. And everyone has already given you excellent advice--classes, testing, and learning as much as you can.

It's not a disease to take lightly, but it is manageable. My overall health is better now than it was before I developed diabetes, because now I'm motivated to take care of myself. I lost 70 pounds and went from being unable to stand for more than 15 minutes without horrible back pain to being able to walk/jog 3 miles in under 40 minutes. And I went from a size 22 to 8, which is kind of cool.

The potential complications are scary, and diet management is kind of a pain. But hang in there! It's something you can control.

I'm a borderline type 2 diabetic too. The things that keep it under control for me are diet and exercise. I find that if I avoid sugary things and make sure I burn off all of the calories I consume (or most of them at least ) I stay pretty stable. Illness and infection make my blood sugar skyrocket, so I try to be extra careful when I am sick.

My mom is a type 1 diabetic (the more serious of the two types) and she has been diagnosed since 1995. She does have some complications because she had the disease for quite some time before her diagnosis but she is still doing pretty well. Diabetes is no longer the scary thing that it once was. There has been great strides in medical research and nutritional research that help so much with managing the disease.

*HUGS* The changes are hard (and sometimes I still cheat, diet wise ) but you can do it!

I have no medical advice for you, Crystal, but I know that all will be well. Just keep saying "God in me knows what to do, how to do it and gets it done". Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm type 1 and on insulin. A great place to go for information and support is the website for the American Diabetes Association, that's how I found my endocrinologist. Diabetes is nothing to be afraid of. Most important is to find an endocrinologist you're comfortable with and can talk to.
    A lot has changed regarding treatment. My insulin dose is based on carbohydrates. Ask your doctor for a good nutritionist for help with a workable meal plan, something you can live with and works into your lifestyle. And don't be afraid to ask questions.
    There's a lot to learn about diabetes, I have a much easier time than my grandparents did with it. If you're feeling overwhelmed by it right now, that's okay - it goes with the territory.
    Please, pm me anytime if you need some support or if there's anything I can do to help you out or if you just need to vent. I'm solidly on your side.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE