Thread: Blood in Stool!

Blood in Stool!

Hi Pters,

Tonight I got home and as I cleaned up, I found that once again one of the cats had peed in my laundry in the bathroom...this has happened three times now. And then I smelt really stinky stool, so I went to the litter and looked inside, and one of the cat's poo has blood on top of it.

I think it is Kalypso because her poo wasn't covered, and she usually doesn't cover her business. Anyways, the blood was very fresh and bright. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? And if she is the one peeing outside of the litter box...how could that go along with the blood on the stool?

I don't know what to do except take maybe a stool sample to the vet, I just don't have a whole lot of money cause this week I have to get Ninja needled and then neutered which costs alot in itself.

I'm kind of thinking she is really sensitive and I may have to change her food.

Worried,

Kalei

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Time for a vet trip, nothing to mess with.
    I've Been Frosted

Karen is right. There could be various reasons for this, but only a vet can find out. Hope it's something that's easily treatable! Did the stool look "normal" in shape and color?

Some vets will let you just bring in a sample. Definitley give your vet a call.........soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Yes, I agree that a vet trip is in order or at least bring in a stool sample. My first thought was coccidia but it could be something else too. Hopefully whatever it is can be easily treated. Good luck.

The peeing if it's Kalypso could be behavioral or she could also have a UTI. She may just be still upset with you for bringing home another cat. Hopefullly this won't continue either.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I caught Kalypso doing her business today and now I know for sure that she is the one with the bloody poo. Kirsten, smart question, actually her poo hasn't looked normal for awhile now. It's almost always light brown diarrhea.

Our vet doesn't open until tomorrow, so I'm going to ask them what they suggest tomorrow when Ninja goes for his Distemper needle. I've heard from many people that what food we buy at the store can have something to do with it, because most foods bought at wal-mart and such are basically crap.

So today we went and reluctantly bought a bag of Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs...reluctantly only because the price is rediculous. It took me awhile to convince Daniel, he didn't want to pay for it, but they are my babies and I will do anything for them. So I'm going to start feeding them that tomorrow. Hopefully it will help Kalypso out at least until we can get her vet visit.

Thanks for helping me guys

Kalei

I have a few cats with sensitive tummies, and one who sometimes has really loose stools, and I've been feeding SD Sensitive Stomach now for about 1 1/2 months, and it's really helped them. At least I think it's helped them because I don't see as much barf as I used to, and the one with the realy loose stools has been having more normal ones for a while now.

Good luck to Kalypso, and hope she feels better in her tummy soon!

You also try to give her some canned pumpkin. It helps both diarrhea and constipation. Some cats love the taste and others have to take it mixed in with some of their food.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. I asked the vet about Kalypso today at Ninja's appointment. At first she said that sometimes it's nothing to worry about, especially since it is bright fresh blood, she says it most likely is colitis and it means she has a sensitive stomach and may need a diet change. But when I told her that most of her poos are diarrhea, she then said that diarrhea usually isn't good and that if she still has diarrhea after a little while of being on the Science Diet, then I should bring in a stool sample. She says it's possible it could be a parasite.

So hopefully it's not, and the Science Diet will help her, but if not I will have to see what's up.

Kalei

If it is a parasite, that's pretty easy to clear up. Better that than IBS or colitis.

A few years ago, when Oscar had had his month-long bladder infection, I had switched to the vet food (I now do grain-free). It WAS more expensive, but he ate less - and it was saving me future expensive vet trips.

I also now follow the measuring instructions on the bag and have a measuring cup just for the food. That helps too. Re: your thread in Cat General, it might be more economical than free feeding.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda