Thread: Update Luke UN-constipated 12.15.10

Update Luke UN-constipated 12.15.10

Wed night, Dec 15 2010.
    Hello Folks, Thanks to all who responded to my original post. Well, It has been quite a challenge since Dec 6 to get Luke to have a bm. I'll do a summary. I took him to vet four times: Mon6, Tues 7, Fri10, and Wed15 ... and today he had a bm. I have been on "poop watch" & every time I hear him in litter box, I go & wait & hope & was rewarded today. Yes, he is urinating & eating ok. He misses his old food but I give him extra attention & get him to eat his new canned food. He is 9 years old & overweight at 21.1 lbs today; we'll try to lose more weight. He did weigh 27 lbs but in the last year he has lost to 21.1.

Every time he went to vet he had an enema (one trip he had two enemas & it took 5 enemas + med & canned food to un-constipate him), xrays 3x, fluids, lactulose or Laxatone, W/D canned. Elsewhere I bought Wellness No Grain canned, metamucil caps, & a few other things. Counting food it cost close to $500 to get him unconstipated. Now I hope to keep him that way. Before his problem I was feeding him mainly dry food but I will not do that again; I think it contributed greatly to his constipation & I feel bad about that. Vet said he does not have megacolon.

[B]He was so backed up that today was the first time he had a bm & it was after an enema [/B](vet manually took some stool out two times). Today the stool was soft so I guess the canned food with lactulose or laxatone & tiny metamucil was helpful as he was able to have several bm's. He seems to feel alright.

Now the hope is that he will be able to have bm's without an enema. I will keep a close eye on him to make sure he is having regular bm's & will keep feeding him canned W/D & canned Wellness No Grain, Laxatone, tiny metamucil & very little if any dry food. I can't believe how backed up he was. It was a learning lesson for me & I felt sorry for Luke because he sure did hate the enemas & I was so worried about him. I HOPE he will be alright now & that he can have bm's without an enema.

If you see your cat straining or going several times to litter box & nothing happens, you might have a constipated cat as I did but I waited. I should have taken him two or three weeks ago when I saw him straining to have a bm and he eventually had bm but then it became increasingly more difficult... and then I ended up at vet. I didnt think it would turn into such a problem. Boy, Was I wrong!!!. Live & Learn!! Thanks for listening & for those who gave me suggestions. Kay in NC Wed Dec 15 2010

Awww, Luke! I'm glad you are un-constipated now and I hope you feel much better. Gentle (((HUG))) to you from me.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Go Luke Go! Glad Luke's finally feeling better, and it's a relief to hear he hasn't got megacolon. Just eating grain-free food he'll feel a lot better in many ways, too.

Love, Columbine

I'm so glad that Luke is doing better. *happy dance*

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

What a time! I am glad this is all cleared up, sorry about your wallet hit.

Keep with the high fluid (wet) food, and no grains. And paws crossed here this does NOT happen again!

I'm so glad to hear that he's not contipated any more and hopefully he'll stay this way. I'm also glad to hear that he doesn't have mega colon. I agree that feeding him a grain free canned diet will help him a lot. Good luck.

Glad to hear it's not Megacolon. My Jack has that and it's no fun, for either of us, however since I've been using Cisapride, and Lactulose we have been enema free for over 3 years!

Hopefully this is just a one time thing for your baby and won't ever have this problem again!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022