Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memory Thread for Phred.

I have to share this one with you. When that Johnny Walker business was going on, Kev called me one day and asked me if I knew who John Mxxxxx was. At first I didn't and asked him why? He said the Livingston Parish Sheriffs Department called him and asked him if he knew a John Mxxxxx in Ohio (I think it was) and Kevlin said he told them he didn't know who that was and asked "why?".... Kev went to telling me that the deputy told him that this guy called them up from another state, ranting on the horrible abuse that poor dog had suffered and warned them that he would be staying in touch about this and watching this close and they BETTER arrest the kids who did this and on and on he went off over the phone with the deputy expressing his outrage that nobody was in jail already where there was a eye witness to what happened. It hit me and I busted out laughing and told Kev.. "KEV, THAT'S PHRED!! It's PHRED!!!!". That phone call sure stirred up a hornets nest at the sheriffs department and that is when they realized that story was no longer a local story and have spread all over like wildfire! And I think he was true to his word and kept calling for updated on the status of the arrests.. PHRED turned up the heat on that Sheriffs department like I don't think they ever saw or expected... That is how he was, always on top of things, doing whatever he had to, to make his opinion known and ALWAYS on the side of the animals 100%.

He has truly earned his place in Heaven and they are probably fitting him for his wings already. His assignment will be to watch over the animals still here on earth and help the ones that need helping..

A weird thing happened to me today and it made me wonder.... I was on my way to town, in my van alone. The sun was shining outside, it was a beautiful day. Suddenly the back of my neck felt a breeze and droplets of water. That has never happened to me before... there was NO way there was a breeze behind me much less any dampness. I immediately thought of Phred and I asked out loud, "Phred? Is that you? I know you are there and we ALL are going to miss you!"...

I sometimes "feel" things but why he choose me, I don't know or understand but I believe it was him. Call me crazy or read into this what you will. You draw your own conclusions.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

2. Here is Dear Phred

With love,

Blondie, Curlie, HH and Basement Boy

On that same Cali trip that Staci is referring to I was there. I remember when Phred called and the phone was passed around. It was handed to me and I was really nervous to speak to him. I felt like I was talking to God himself. I could hardly get two words out.

He tracked everyone, everywhere. When Gini and I decided to head to Ho-Hi-Ho for the Finday get together in May of 2008 I remember, again, being so nervous to meet him in person and in all honesty, he was one of the main reasons I decided to go. I knew then that he had health issues and I wanted the pleasure of knowing him in person. He sent me a PM after I got back home. I'm so glad I went.

Glad you made it back Home!!
    REALLY glad you & Mom made it to OhHiHo ...
    had me fooled!

Then there was Christmas 2005 when I sent him a little fire truck engine for an ornament. Here's the response I got back...
    Wha's inna lil Box, Dad?
    An Where'd it come frum - der'z a il CROWN onna label??

KANADA ?? (wow!)
    Hey! It'z Sandy Klawz inna FireFighter U-neeform!
    NEAT-O!!

Dear Slick ~
    He IS **CUTE** - MANY Thanks!!
    Since we got no TREE - where's he gonna go?
    Not to worry ~ Years ago My Sis sent me a BIG (3 feet long)
    Wooden Toy Fire Truck that sits on the fireplace
    mantle year-round ...
    Your Santa & the Rescued Cat are now
    "riding on" the mantle Ladder Truck!!

THANKS again, Slick!!
    /s/ with a {{{HUG}}}
    Phred & the FurKids

It's hard to imagine that Pet Talk will see no more written words by this wonderful guy.

RIP Phred. Save a place for me at God's table, OK?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Phred was Pet Talk's heroic knight in shining armor when it came to taking action on behalf of those in need. He was absolutely relentless when it came to gathering up needed information, checking on the status of situations and getting answers. His sincerity in his prayers and words of encouragement was so very pure and honest. In any crisis, you could not help but feel some relief and peace in your heart as you read his prayers, words of compassion and comfort towards both human and pet. With any loss, he was there, and he hurt along with you at your grief and loss.

When someone else was suffering a loss or hardship and I would check back for Phred's soothing words to whomever it may be, feeling some relief when he had because he had a special ability to bring comfort to those who are hurting. He was always ready to give of himself, I think that is what made him happiest.

I just can't seem to think anymore at the moment. He touched my life though I never met him in person. He must have touched hundreds of lives.
    You said it all, and so beautifully, Jess. He touched all of our lives here at Pet Talk, human and furry, and countless others we will never know.

We love you Phred, dear precious friend.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    A weird thing happened to me today and it made me wonder.... I was on my way to town, in my van alone. The sun was shining outside, it was a beautiful day. Suddenly the back of my neck felt a breeze and droplets of water. That has never happened to me before... there was NO way there was a breeze behind me much less any dampness. I immediately thought of Phred and I asked out loud, "Phred? Is that you? I know you are there and we ALL are going to miss you!"...

I sometimes "feel" things but why he choose me, I don't know or understand but I believe it was him. Call me crazy or read into this what you will. You draw your own conclusions.
    There is no doubt in my mind that he did. I just told Zippy-kat that "I bet he is visiting anyone and everyone that he couldn't visit or meet in real life" she replied "he is gonna rack up some Frequent Flier miles!"
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

When I think of Phred, the 3 things that stick out most in my mind are clam juz, California Fireman and the prayer pups.

The Clam Juz was SO hilarious!

I can't believe he actually pulled the California Fireman off - what a thrill we all got at Gini's when they pulled up!

And the Prayer Pups were ALWAYS there for those in need. They were always there when a PT'er was in need....I'm still so sad.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I can't find the thread about fire extinguishers, but I know it's out there somewhere. This is from a couple of years ago. We were discussing what to do if you have an old fire extinguisher and you aren't sure if it works anymore.
    Um, that would be when I almost burned our house down- JoJoe was in RI at the time. Oh my gosh, I was so shook up. Phred called and walked me through the whole process - I was so grateful for his guidance.

I was looking back at all the picnic pictures while writing a Memorial for him on my blog, and I couldn't help but smile while I cried. I wasn't sure what to write, but had Staci's post in mind:
    Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    I just had a thought that warms my heart.
    Can you just IMAGINE the Rainbow Bridge right now? All PET TALK pets and many many others I'm sure rushed him when he arrived.
    I started typing and these words poured out:

Yesterday there was a mob scene at the Rainbow Bridge. One of furkind's most beloved friends arrived at the gate on "God's Silver Kloud", our dear friend Jon, fondly know as "Phred". There were tails wagging, excited yipping & yapping, and many many licks placed on his ole' face fur sure!

"Phred rescued me!" says Bowser, the little husky mix. "Me too!" chimes in another, and another, and another. "Phred planted a tree in my honor!" "Oh yes, there are many trees" cried several more pups. "And a bench, and a shelter" "Phred calls my people & checks in on them", and "Phred's Prayer Pups prayed fur every one of us at one time or another."

I loved his stories, and its heartwarming to remember them here--he touched so many lives! I'm very grateful to have spent time with him at the PT picnics & the Husky Hikes during the years we lived in Findlay. There'll always be a special place in my heart for our dear friend-- the wizard behind the curtain, the go-to guy who got things DONE. God bless you, Jon, be at peace.

My first Phred encounter was Cinder wants to keep the stray she found,

OMGoodness, it still makes me laugh ....

I loved reading his posts, and even tho they got a little less as the years went by, they sure were fantastic.
    I loved getting the Christmas cards each year, and reading his special message on the back - I have kept every one

One in a million Phred, truly you were.
    Love
    M

P.S. If you want to come back and visit me on this big ol dirt ball, feel free. We never met, but I wished we had ...
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I remember when I went to my first Pet Talk meeting in Findley, Phred
    was so patient with me, giving directions to the Park, helping me with maps
    etc,etc. I seem to be directionally challenged & can't make more than two turns
    before I become hopelessly lost & can't tell North from South.

I was pretty nervous going so far from home & not really "knowing" anyone
    except throught cyber messages, but Phred was like a rock with a soothing
    calm about him & never got upset with me. By the time I arrived, I felt pretty
    much at home & very welcome there. Smokey & I had a great time.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I was on the pet t candles and clicked one of the candles, and what a shock to read the message that Phred was gone!!! He was one special fellow!!! Sleep softly dear Phred...
    Nine is Fine!!

I first met Phred back in '03 I believe, at the Findlay gathering. I remember Graham, my sweet little dog, took an immdediate liking to Phred. Graham would sit his little butt down in front of Phred, and his little stubble tail would be wagging @ 100 mph, carving a little "tail angel" in the dirt. Phred was so charmed by Graham, and the feeling was mutual. He'd dip his hand into his treat bag, pull out a cookie for Graham, Graham would give a little bark and beg for another. Phred would just laugh and kept giving him one after another. I had to tell Phred that Graham was going to get diarrhea from all the cookies. Phred could NOT say no to Graham. Seriously, his heart was so full of love that he had to keep that doggie of mine happy.

I only went to a few PT gatherings, but as soon as I took the dogs to the dog area, Graham scoped out Phred, sat in front of him, and started making tail angels in the dirt staring up at Phred and begging the way he knew Phred could not resist. I got a kick out of how much Graham loved Phred, and also how hard Graham's persistant attention was hard for Phred to resist. He was such an adorable man.

I will never forget a few years ago, Quinn was a baby, and my sister-in-law picked up this little basset/beagle puppy that was dumped in a bad neighborhood, and he was litterely in the middle of the road. Phred helped orchestrate "Woody's" big plane trip from here to his new home in PA. I could not have done it without his help. We ran into all kinds of problems with the airlines while trying to fly Woody to PA, and Phred would talk to the right people and use the right tone of voice and, with his persistant, tenacious help, we FINALLY were able to fly Woody to PA. He was one tough cookie with the softest, most gentle spirit.

I wish he was not gone. I can't even stand the thought of never reading his delightful posts. I am so deeply moved that he wanted some ashes to be spread at Findlay Dog Park. He had such an impact on all of us, but we, also, had a huge, life-changing impact on him. I'm glad to have known him.

Too many memories to decide which ones to write down right away.

Arriving at the dog park in Findlay, and he was often there before us. Cinder and Smoke would be tied to that tree while he got all the supplies out, and when we got there, we'd greet him and them, but sometimes if we humans were talking, the dogs felt ignore and would chime in! "Awww, hush!" he'd tell them.

We'd also be the last ones to leave with him - as we drove out and stayed in Findlay overnight - and we'd keep on talking for almost ever, just sitting and chatting while everything got packed up. Even the first time we met in person, we were already old friends.

Many, many times we'd talk on the phone, when some issue or another came up. And when he was hospitalized last year, I remember calling the hospital to talk to him, and when the woman somewhat formally asked "Are you a relative?" I replied, "Well, he often calls me 'Mom....' even though he's older than me ... " and she was surprised, laughed and put me through to him without any further questions. He got a chuckle when I told him how I got through.

So many people he helped, just because he could. His "how to post pictures" thread is where I have pointed countless newcomers. Late night phone calls, contacting resources for folks, and of course, he was the "junior moderator" when Paul and I went to China for a week in 2001. He did a fine job, but worried too much that something was gonna go wrong on his watch, so was not upset when we 'demoted' him after we got back and things settled back down.

He will be missed, but then again, he is such a part of this community that he will still be here, in his funny posts, and in all our memories, for years and years to come.
    I've Been Frosted

I have never personally met Phred but will surely miss him. His generosity and consideration for all who knew him and for all who did not know him was truly a gift.

I have read and re-read so many of his posts and cannot express the joy he has brought on so many occasions. Tears of laughter are a predominant memory of Phred for me.

Something that stays with me persistently is the many times he was encouraged to publish a book of all his 'tails'. I wish I had the talent to do such a thing in his memory because what a wonderful tribute it would be to share. Both he and John had a wonderful wit beyond imagination - perhaps they will now collaborate up there on the Bridge - what a team!!

It delights me to think about Phred surrounded by all of our little furry babies, being loved and pampered - nothing in this world could be finer than that picture in my mind.

Phred - you rocked on the ole dirt ball and now you're rockin the Rainbow Bridge - and doing a fine, fine job, I'm sure .

Rest sweetly,
    Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflady View Post
    I remember what a hit those firemen were and how we all passed Phred around on the phone! LOL
    Yes, I have very fond memories of that day too. This was the only time that I talked to him on the phone. I also read his stories about his cat Boots and also the Bowzer story. There will never be another Phred but his memories will last forever.

I have so many memories of Phred and our times at the park. I'll share some of those when I have more time, but this is one of my most special memories of him...when he posted in Angus's memorial thread on his birthday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoke! Da Prayer Line is !
    Well, ANSWER IT - mite be God needin sumpin...

"Hellowwww...??"
    Oh, HI, GranMom! How'z ya doin??
    Good ta hear frum ya!! ...

Why SURE, put him on... we'll type it rite out and
    get it onna line...
    ---------------------------------------------

HI, Mom an Dad ~ It's da BIG Kid - Angus...

Callin ta say "Howdee", an that I sure do
    MISS you guyz, an Roxey an Huney, too!

But dont be sheddin no tearz - I'z *FINE* now!!
    Allua Achez & Painz are gone;
    an I finally figgured out theze krazy Angel Wingz!

Oh, affore I fuget - sister Keisha sendz Her Love!
    She met me atta Bridge when I stepped offa Silvur Klouwd Express -
    an we've been pallin around eber since!

THANKS fur all da Birfday Wishez!
    An da Memory Kandil - I spotted dat *Glowin* inna Howze window
    when I woke up dis mornin!

Phunnie Thing - da GranMomz are cookin up a HUGE Birfday Kake fur
    my D-Day Partee tonite.. and GOD kame ober ta *taste* da icin...
    HE sed ~ LOOKIT ALL doze Kandilz!!

Now HE's got allua *Spotty Fiur Dawgs* "standin by" -
    so's we don't burn da Bridge down when we Lite Em UP tonite!
    *LOOK UP* inna Sky tonite - jest aftur dark -
    You'll see da *GLOW*!

Tell Rokey an Huney it'z "OK" ta play wiff my Big Red Ball -
    I tink I'z gettin a New Wun ta play wiff up here az a Birfday Gift!

So DAT'z where my Blue Wun is...

NUTZ! Furgot ta pack it! Alluz *liked* dat wun!
    Da Gurlz up here all say I look inna Band anna Bamdanna -
    so I keep wearin em!

Hey DAD!
    I'z a lil *wurried* bout You!
    We alluz knew I couldn't hang around furr-ebber down there ~
    Us FurKids come up here a lil urlee so'z we can learn all about Heavin -
    then WE can guide You an Mom around when you guyz come Up -
    wuldint *DO* to have ya Up Here feelin Lonelee.

I'll be here at da Bridge (wiff Keisha at my side) ta *meet* ya
    whenever you're ready...
    So Pleeze don't be Sheddin No Ttears ...
    Jest 'member allua Wunnerful Tymes we shared!!
    There sure were a LOTTA Phunn Tymes, weren't there, Dad!!

THANKS Agin fur da Lovely Birfday Wishez, Mom an Dad!!
    Sendin you BOTH a Big Angus {{{HUG}}} anna SchluRRpie KISS!
    Anna *Brudderly KISS* fur Roxey an Huney, too!!

/s/ da BIG Kid, Angus
    --------------------------------------------------

Cinder here ~ We gotz it ALL Down, Angus!
    Bee onna PT Wire inna minnit!

An affore we sine off ~~

HAPPIE Birfday,
    Big Guy!!
    WE miss ya too, Angus!

*Forwarded* By: the Prayer Pups

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets