Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wolf dogs

Phew! Thanks for putting my mind at rest. Your dog sounds like a treasure.

I have heard of that breed before .My close friend hase one she loves it to death and it`s ssooo sweet!

Hmmmm this topic is interesting, and of course I have to put my two cents in. As a child, My family had a "wolf dog" This dog came to us as a puppy. We live in a "country area" so a lot of people think that they can drop off dogs and the dogs will be able to make it. WHICH IS VERY UNTRUE. Anyway, We definately know that this dog was some sort of wolf because it had the scent gland, which are not found in house hold dogs. We named him Shep because we thought that he was some sort of shephard. The dog was very protective of us. He would take us to the school bus every morning, which was about a mile down the road, and he would be waiting for us at the bus stop in the evening to walk us home. Shep was very gentle. Before our cat had got fix she had a litter of kittens. Shep and the cat would have their rounds because Shep thought that he was the mommy. He would gently pick the cats up and carry them until he had them all in one spot. Soooo, in conclusion to my novel We fortunately had a very good dog. We did not know that he was some type of wolf, but he was a very good family pet, and very protective of the children. Shep left us as he came. One day he went out and never came back

Yesterday I was watching animal planet and there was a show on called wild on the set. and it was about the dog "Buck" on the show call of the wild. I found out that he is a Malamute/wolf cross and wieghs 150lbs! i knew he wasn't a pure bred malamute you could tell by his eyes and his ears.

Thanks everyone for giving me your input about the wolf/dog cross

Although I think wolves are about the most majestic animal going, I would certainly never try to domesticate one or breed it with the domesticated dog.
    I found out something interesting about a year ago, and that is that wolves and wolf hybrids supposedly can't be vaccinated for rabies. I guess there is no vaccine that works with that species. I also found out, by virture of the science book from which I teach, that domesticated dogs and wolves are actually 2 different species. They belong to the same genus, but wolves are Canis lupus and dogs are Canis familiaris. I just thought that was interesting and thought you guys might too.

Sorry to disagree but classification of the dog has been changed quite recently. The wolf is Canis lupus x (x being the sub species such as arctos) and the dog is now Canis lupus familiaris.

Thanks carrie for the info...starting on Monday we will be starting our classification chapter, so I can straighten out the book...timing is everything.

I have a beautiful wolf hybrid named Lakota. She is one of the sweetest most wonderful animals in the world!! She does not have an aggressive bone in her body. She loves my other dogs, she adores kids-- in fact I have a picture of my friend's 1 year old sleeping on her.
    Now, as far as all the "big bad wolf" stuff, I have not encountered any and Lakota is about 92% wolf. I would trust her over my roomates pitbull terrier pup (who he raised with kids and other animals since it was 4 weeks old)-- hands down. Neither dog has had any reason for aggression, yet the pitbull is very very aggressive to many other animals, kids and adults she doesn't know.
    So what I am saying is-- who knows with any dogs.. Poodles bite!! You can hear about any breed becoming agressive.
    My story is a positive one. I am completely in love with my hybrid and she has proven to be a fantastic pet.
    Michelle

I have a 11 month old malamute husky part wolf, and me and my husband love her to death!! she is a very good dog and they say that they seem to be very intelligent (which i can see). They have their own personality and are very strong dogs. They are listed under as a "working dog" and say to be very good with small children. Ours seems to be very good with our 2 month old. Shes very protective of the baby and watches her every move. I think that any dog weather it being "part wolf" can harm any person any time, it just depends on how the owner raises that dog and trains the dog.

Can someone tell me why there is a need to have a wolfdog?

Is it for macho reasons, curiosity or just because they are available.

Virtually every temperament, shape, colour, size, etc is already available in established breads.

Also if they escape and return to the wild (I think it's called ferral), then they will breed with the few remaining wild wolves. Potentially, the wolf may be lost for ever

Theres isnt any reason for having a "wolfdog" its just like having any other dog... why have a German Sherperd or a Rottweiler..wouldnt that be the same as this "macho" reason that youre talking about??and any dog is pretty much available to have, and its not a FULL BREED wolf theres other breeds mixed in. So its not like the dog is gonna run away and go "back to the wild".
    This is just my own opionion.....

[This message has been edited by cdippy (edited January 20, 2001).]

Having conducted volunteer work at a Wolf education and research facility in IN, I have been able to learn a lot about my favorite animal in the wild: wolves. Wolves and dogs are as different as night and day. Dogs were domisticated for a reason over hundreds of years. Wolf hybrids are very unpredictable and often fall into the hands of inexperienced people thus making them a threat to anyone who comes into contact with them, including the owner. It also gives a misunderstood animal more negative connotations to the public when a wolf hybrid attacks a child(high prey instinct), injures a family member or kills a family pet. A wolf is fearful of man. They protect their families and hunt for the food they need. A hybrid is unpredictable and should be treated as as a wild animal. I personally think all wolves, pure or hybrid are beautiful animals, but I don't think it's right for private ownership of such animals unless it's for education to the public about this misunderstood animal, and it's done properly. People buy these animals because they think it's cool. This is not a good reason. Also, many breeders of 'wolf hybrids' will misrepresent their breeding stock. A lot of research must be done if you are considereing one of these animals. If anyone is interested in reading a guide to keeping a wolf hybrid(and seeing what's all involved), please email me and I can send along the details.