Thread: Kennel Cough ?

Kennel Cough ?

Kennel Cough ?

Just recently, we added a new member to our Family, may I introduce

BECCA

The picture above, was taken when She was about 9 weeks old, her ears have straightened up nicely since, and, she's gained ONE WHOLE POUND !!!
    (Her BD 6-17-2010)

Now, to reluctantly suppress my pride in my little Lady and come to the point...

Having never exposed any of my animals to many others, an instance of Kennel Cough has never been an issue. I would assume that indications of such, would be demonstrated by "frequent" coughing, much like we, when we have the Flu.
    Is that right ?

However, Becca coughs occasionally. Maybe a couple times a day, and sometimes not at all.
    Could this be some indicator of the KCough ?

We have a (normal shots) visit scheduled to the Vet next week, and I WILL ask about this then, I just wanted to know if I should re-schedule the visit sooner? I don't want to let this get out of hand, and cause a real problem.

Have a good Day !
    S.W.

Do you use a collar when you walk her? Small dogs often have a very sensitive trachea, and during or after walking them they may make a coughing sound. My toy poodle mix, Molli, will make coughing and 'reverse sneeze' noises throughout the day and they're usually associated with stress or excitement. Do bring it up to your vet. From my understanding, Kennel Cough usually has a constant coughing noise.

Congrats on the new addition to your family! She is absolutely adorable!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

She's adorable! When does the "cough" happen? Is she eating and pooping normally?
    I've Been Frosted

Deb,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

No, I never use a "choker" or an adjustable Collar for any reason, other than to hold their (ID/Shots) Tags, when we are away from home. I always use a Harness, when walking them, or taking them out for other reasons.

HA, yes, I have a Male (2 yo) Yorkie also, and I know of the "hacking" he does when we go out for a walk. He's VERY energetic about detours down my neighbors driveways (as far as I'll let him go) in an attempt to visit other Dogs back there. Even the Harness causes a little "gasping" at times. But it stops immediately when he "regains" his composure.

I've herd that (reverse) "snorting" from her as well. It concerns me too, this happening when there apparently is no reason for it (no harness pressure).

There is another issue...Bless her heart, but she will eat ANYTHING !
    (I strongly suspect I'll be re-naming her "Porko Pup" at some point )

I had thought that maybe a piece of Grass or "something" from the yard, may cause this, I really don't know. I've opened her mouth and look in, to see if there may be something causing it, but, nothing seen yet.

Have a good Day !
    S.W.

Karen,

Eats moderately, but, anything as I said before. Poops vary, but never loose or runny as far as consistency.
    Coughs are irregular, just happen at times, no consistency there.

Cute, I sure think so too, but, I'm not sure my Male Yorkie would agree with you !
    Becca is absolutely relentless in play with my Male Sneakers. She holds her own VERY admirably, bounding back, running with him, nipping when he tries to stop before she's ready to. He's the most patient and gentle Dog I've ever had. Kudos to him !

Well Hello there Cutie Pie Becca.. Your just too Sweet.. Welcomes to you both to Pet Talk & Enjoy All..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Hello Becca, you are a very sweet LOOKING baby girl! I put looking like that because mom is telling tales on you -- ALREADY, ha ha haaa!

Reverse sneezing is not usually a concern; bichons do it often.

The cough I would discuss with the vet. Did you have a wellness check with the vet when you first got her?

Kennel cough, you would KNOW that, it is a horrible deep cough and keeps the entire home awake at night. No matter she is a small dog; you would know the sound, even never having heard it before.

I'm not sure if Becca would qualify as a "Brachycephalic" dog. Pugs and Pekes are. A few bichons are. The muzzle / nose is very short, and the head more flat. Makes for breathing issues. Cough is one of the signs. Read up a bit on it, and ask the vet about that, too.

Freedom, thank you and all for your very kind words.

Her cough is rather "light", compared to what you described, and, both of their muzzles are reasonably straight, I've never had this problem with my Male.

With all of your kind help, I'll try to be patient and get the Vet to comment on this issue. Thank ALL of you again.

Have a good Day !
    S.W.