Thread: My cat miscarried I think; advice needed

My cat miscarried I think; advice needed

There was a sack about 3" X 1" and some blood on the deck. She acts normal though like nothing's wrong. Is one sack the complete miscarry or is she supposed to discharge more sacks? I mean, is there one sack per kitten?

I'm worried that if she didn't discharge everything that she might get an infection. I heard about AMOXICILLIN. It's an over the counter antibiotic. Should I give her that to stop any possible infections?

Do not give her any medicine without her seeing a vet. Please take her to the vet tomorrow, and have an exam done. In the meantime, if you are really worried, you can call an emergency vet, if you need, I can give you the number for Angell Memorial in Boston, which has people there 24 hours a day.
    I've Been Frosted

Every kitten has it's own sac. Get her to a vet right away to avoid any infection that might be fatal (pyometria).

Good luck.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Don't you just love new users who's first post is about some problem that should be addressed to their local vet instead of the internet?

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

^^Not everybody knows as much about animals as you do and a lot of people can't just load up their furkids and haul 'em to the vet without being sure that it is actually a problem. So don't be so condescending. At least they asked for some advice and didn't just ignore the whole situation.

Fingers crossed there were more (live) kittens to follow Hopefully we can have an update eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    ^^Not everybody knows as much about animals as you do and a lot of people can't just load up their furkids and haul 'em to the vet without being sure that it is actually a problem. So don't be so condescending. At least they asked for some advice and didn't just ignore the whole situation.
    So what's wrong with using a phone and calling a licenced vet for advice first?

I deal with this all the time at work (more so since the economy got bad), by the time they finally get around to calling a vet the poor critter has been suffering anywhere from a week to a month, and sometimes there's nothing we can do to save the pet at that point. What might have been affordable to treat/cure for less than $100 is now untreatable or unaffordable at several hundred dollars. In my mind that's nearly as bad as outright ignoring the problem.

I'm not being condecending I'm being realistic. We're talking about someone who is considering picking up a medication they 'heard about' to treat something they have not had properly diagnosed in the first place. We're talking about someone who if they had Googled feline miscarriage they would have found advice to consult a veterinarian already.

Long before I worked at a vet hospital I had pets. If I had a problem or concern I always called the vet's office for advice. I didn't ask my neighbors, family, or friends for advice first, and I didn't pour through books at the library first. I called the one who had the answers I needed. To me that's simple logic.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022