I was watching an episode of SVU and came across this idea for a great discussion. My DH and I just had a very good one about it.

Should we have the right to choose life or death when seriously ill? If you know you have an incurable disease and we are at the point where all you feel is pain, nothing helps, and all enjoyment of life is gone and all that is left is suffering. Should you have the right to choose to die instead of waiting for the disease to prolong your life and suffering?

Personally for me I think we should have the right with restrictions. When we find out about the disease we should have to talk to a psychiatrist about it. SO they can decide if we are making this decision based on a healthy mind and expectation. So say I am diagnosed with an incurrable disease that is going to steadily destroy me(mind and body). We should be able to make a decision about at what point I should be able to self terminate my life. But I have to decide this with a proven healthy mind.

For me I see it as we have more compassion for our pets because we are allowed to choose that for them and end their suffering but yet for people(whom we should love just as much) we are unable to make this decision and instead have to wait till the body gives out even if the mind was gone a long time ago.

There is no wrong answer. Please do not condemn others that might have a differing opinion then you. So what is your thoughts.