Thread: RI firefighters save 18-foot snake in burning home

RI firefighters save 18-foot snake in burning home

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic..._burning_home/

RI firefighters save 18-foot snake in burning home
    October 5, 2010

EAST GREENWICH, R.I.—Firefighters often have to rescue people from burning homes, sometimes even a dog or cat.

But the 18-foot Burmese python that firefighters had to drag out of a burning Rhode Island home just after midnight Monday may have been a first.

Acting Chief Peter Henrikson tells The Providence Journal that it took two firefighters to carry out the python with a diameter like a "Frisbee" in the middle.

The home's sole occupant managed to escape on his own and brought out his two dogs and a cat.

Henrikson says he hates snakes and wouldn't go near it.

He says it appears the fire started where the pipe of a wood stove met the wall. The East Greenwich house was condemned.

------

Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.projo.com

Wow! Good for them for not saying "It's just a snake" and letting it suffer. Not everyone likes snakes, but they are loved pets to their owners! I am glad the owner and his other pets made it out safely as well.
    I've Been Frosted

So happy the snake got rescued! I can't imagine having to do something like that. The men will have quite a story to tell for years to come.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Longer article is in our local newspaper today too, really gave us a chuckle over breakfast. The house has been condemned, due to the fire damage. So this guy has to find a hotel which will take him, his dogs and cat . . . and his 18 foot python!

The python was too large for a recycle bin and had been temporarily "detained" in a horse trailer.

Acting Fire chief Henricken's comments were hilarious!

I've never taken care of a reptile, but my high school team were the Pythons, and I'm glad those firefighters took the time to save this prize-winning python! That must have been one heck of a job, lugging such an enormous (and probably badly scared) creature through smoke and danger, probably without any sort of related training. Firefighters never cease to amaze me.

Love, Columbine