Thread: Dogsitting Murphy: He Still Doesn't Want his food

Dogsitting Murphy: He Still Doesn't Want his food

Hi folks,
    I am the owner of Henry and Bodea (dachshund and poodle) and I am dogsitting a ten year old Bichon/ShihTzu cross named Murph. He has not been dogsat very often in the past. His owner let me know that he probably wouldn't eat for a couple of days when they left and that is true. I have been able to give him some "cookies" and he has liked to nibble some kibble a couple of mornings, but nothing very substantial. He is in good spirits, a really likeable little guy, but obviously still missing his "mom". He has been free fed in the past, and I just can't do that because of my chowhounds, lol.

What can I do to help?

thanks
    "Dost thou think that because thou art virtuous there shall be no cakes and ale?"

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My two little ones do the same if I go on vacation, even tho they are in the same house with other family members around - it's just that their Mom isn't here. They come around in a couple of days tho, and resume eating.

If Murphy isn't sick, then I'm sure it's just a matter of missing his Mom. He'll eat when he gets hungry enough. In the meantime, maybe try a few pieces of boiled chicken to entice him, if he is allowed to have that. Of course, don't give him too much and spoil him, or he won't want to go back to his regular diet. Also, if he has been free fed, then that's probably a big part of the problem, as now he has to eat only when you feed him, and not when the mood strikes him.

Good luck, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Let us know how he's doing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I agree with Ellie! DITTO!

Thanks

Hi thanks for the replies. I guess I just needed reassurance. Poor little fellow. I gave him a couple of bites of my scrambled egg this morning (no salt and pepper) and he wolfed that down. I guess I'll just be patient for a little longer. He is okay, perky, bright, interested in chasing the cats and very clingy. I will let you know how he comes along.
    "Dost thou think that because thou art virtuous there shall be no cakes and ale?"

The change from free feeding - being able to graze all day and all night - to having a set time to eat does take some time for them to adapt to. And that is without "missing mom."

If you can, put his food bowl down, have him in a quiet place, and give him not more than 10 minutes. Try to do this at the same time each day; and maybe twice a day, morning and night. He'll catch on -- just in time for him to return home!

If it has only been a day or two I wouldn't worry too much, our St. Bernard Freckles always did that when my mother went away. The first day she would not eat at all - and 185 pounds is a lot of dog to live on just water, by the second day she would grudgingly eat half a bowl as long as Dad (the villain who drove Ma to the bus) didn't touch it, and then usually by day 3, she'd eat normally. Dad got the cold shoulder for at least 3 days each time.
    I've Been Frosted

I cheated a little... lol

It distresses me to see him not eat and be so down, lol. I had some high end dog food (canned) that I mixed with his kibble. The little minx ate all the good stuff and only a nibble or two of the other. I'm just relieved that he has a little something. Poor wee fellow. He is just a charmer. I hope his mom will forgive me...

Thanks for your support I'll keep you updated.