Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ~all attention.. New bunny in our yard!~

~all attention.. New bunny in our yard!~

We found a young wild "wabbit baby" in our yard yesterday morning. . It's not brown- it's more like tan. We named her Flower. because we found her in the flowers. Let's hope the neighbor's nasty dogs don't get her! We have fed her some, and she is hopping around in our yard like Carrot did. She is letting us hold her,i'm guessing she was one of Carrot's children... ( carrot was a girl, flower is another girl) Let's pray that she stays around awhile... and those nasty dogs stay AWAY from the RABBIT.

As she's a wild rabbit, you cannot let yourself get too attached to her unless you bring her inside. Wild rabbits are, simply put, prey species. It's not just the neighbor dogs, cats, and even wild birds like owls or hawks will kill and eat a rabbit, particularly a young one. Even if you build her a hutch, a rabbit can be literally frightened to death even if the predator cannot get to them, so don;t get your hopes up, okay?

We have a wild rabbit who hops through our yard from time to time, we have never tried to tame it or name it, we just keep cats out of the yard.
    I've Been Frosted

i know. we had the wild rabbit in our yard for a year, then the neighbors moved in.... bad luck for bunny.

I will not bring her indoors, but I MIGHT put a hutch out there, or i might build a fence area. ( in my backyard, I might get a small dog pen with a roof and put her in there) So at least she has a little room to hop. Max won't bother anything; he is too laid back. Playful but laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
    i know. we had the wild rabbit in our yard for a year, then the neighbors moved in.... bad luck for bunny.

I will not bring her indoors, but I MIGHT put a hutch out there, or i might build a fence area. ( in my backyard, I might get a small dog pen with a roof and put her in there) So at least she has a little room to hop. Max won't bother anything; he is too laid back. Playful but laid back.
    Okay, but keep in mind what I said earlier -- a rabbit can be frightened to death if they are in an outside enclosure and a predator is trying to get them. So she's still be at risk.
    I've Been Frosted

We got the dog pen up last night- then we chased her down, and placed her in, tempting her with food. She seems happy, and Max will just go and sniff, look at her, and go run around doing his own thing. She does not mind. Which is good. However, The pitbulls and our fence... well ONE part of our fence seperates our yard, A piece of fence goes from our creek to the front of our houses, And the dogs of our neighbors climb the fence... and they have been barking at the bunny.. I put our old tiny dog house in the pen so when they barked ,she hopped in there and ate some carrot. So she's doing great so far.

Glad she has a hiding place, that should help! Miss Hoppy would recommend offering her some flat parsley - yummy and good for her!
    I've Been Frosted

I will think about that! I took some pictures of her... brought max in and let her loose in the yard. She was calm and stuff, nibbled on some grass, cooperated long enough for me to get some pics. Here they are:

More pics on next post!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3X7JCA1D1VY1CAXD56DJCAW5F983CAGJBEE1CAU4X986CADUQ5T1CARZ0ZSDCALF1UURCAPZ7I22CABNIQH0CA0ISEBJCABW.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	45942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31BFCAYMXVM0CA8GKLG3CA05O1QACA68BPEUCAFVA6OHCAA0TVE5CALLTBLKCAHVD7JACAVAY6VRCA0PES0RCAI7ZSTUCAOO.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	45943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89VQCALGL00JCA2W0ZY8CAPT2UT8CAT059I3CAK09F23CAD6CSUCCATZL3VNCA0W0QIECA3VHJM1CA9VR97XCATQDWB6CAH9.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	45944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ges.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	45945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOJJCAPGG50UCAIHJV1JCA2OOOQYCAINFYDLCA3R7AYCCAZ3IX33CAXH1NARCAJM2N8UCA3R9WYFCA3ZNMUSCAJ3MYQOCA8C.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	45946  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whitetail-Jackrabbit-5096.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	45948  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Aww, Hi there, Flower! Stay safe, pretty girl!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Aww, Hi there, Flower! Stay safe, pretty girl!
    I know. She makes me happy when I see her. She's such a pretty wittle wabbit! Yes she is!! I'm going to go check on her.

Okay i am back. I fed her some lettuce and carrots... and also have a another image to upload. :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Update on Flower: Flower is eating some grass, doing great. She even comes to her name! Weird little creature.

Don't feed her too much lettuce, it isn't very nutritious. Dark greens like Romaine, dandelion greens, chicory or parsley are better for her, okay? And if you have a chance get her some hay - alfalfa if she is still a baby, but Timothy hay if she's full grown - it's hard to tell from the pictures.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Here in DE, it is illegal to keep wild bunnies as pets, or to in any way restrain them in a hutch, pen, or enclosure - as it should be. They are meant to run wild and free, and I'm sure they are actually much safer and happier that way. It's even illegal to attempt to raise a wild orphaned bunny, and you are supposed to call the state wildlife office and have them picked up for the experts to raise. However, I have raised a few on a couple of separate occasions, and then set them free when they were old enough to fend for themselves. It's not easy - sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.

There's a BIG difference between wild and domesticated rabbits. You should let this little one go on it's way at will, and definitely don't keep it restrained in any way.

Here's a few of pics of my last babies from a few years ago.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 09-17-2010 at 09:02 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Here in DE, it is illegal to keep wild bunnies as pets, or to in any way restrain them in a hutch, pen, or enclosure - as it should be. They are meant to run wild and free, and I'm sure they are actually much safer and happier that way. It's even illegal to attempt to raise a wild orphaned bunny, and you are supposed to call the state wildlife office and have them picked up for the experts to raise. However, I have raised a few on a couple of separate occasions, and then set them free when they were old enough to fend for themselves. It's not easy - sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't.

There's a BIG difference between wild and domesticated rabbits. You should let this little one go on it's way at will, and definitely don't keep it restrained in any way.

Here's a few of pics of my last babies from a few years ago.

She is very happy where she is, Pomtzu. The pen isn't tiny at all. It's eight foot long, ten foot wide, complete with shelter, food, and water (in case she is to get thirsty, I dug a small hole and filled it up with water... like a pond!) And thanks for caring about Flower but really she is fine.

And okay, Karen, as soon as I found Carrot I stocked up on all that good stuff- I'm sure I have some left. I'll check tomorrow, next time I feed her.