Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The County Fair

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    For years I could not go to this fair, it was the last place I saw my mom before her car accident and death.
    It took me about 8 years to go back and I am glad I did. I had an elephant ear that year with my mom and my daughter. Alicia was 7. Now every year we have an elephant ear for grandma at that fair.
    I feel her with me. I remember how she loved the animals and how they came to her as well. They sensed her incredible love for them.
    I think having a fun event (for you, the Fair) as the last place you saw your mom is a very nice memory! And I LOVE you having an elephant's ear for her lol

Our county fairs stopped yrs back. People went and looked around but no one bought anything because of the dust and smells. After some yrs county fairs died down over here because not enough people bothered going.
    Wonder if Paris Hilton drags around at county fairs...hmmm..wonder if they grow the kind of stuff she would buy...
    Our county fairs have been replaced by exhibitions held in exhibition centres where you can see and buy just about anything you could wish for. Artists, woodcarvers from all over, and jams, jellies, pickling of all kinds , fudge and candy. Homemade clothes and quilts of every kind including clothes made from the new hemp fabric. But the all is held in a large dome top building out of the elements and no animals. Clean and out of the elements.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Another intersting thing that happened at the fair was that while I was petting that sweet piggy a little boy came up to me and asked me if I wanted to see his pig, which of course I was so honored to do.
    His name was Gordon and I petted his nose, rubbed his ears, his belly, his back and Gordon slept right through the whole thing. LOL The little boy was so cute and so proud of Gordon. He had 4 pigs in all.
    There was also I young girl who sat in the stall with her lamb and we talked for a bit.
    These young kids really love their animals and take great pride in showing them and have a deep love and respect for them. It is a wonderful life, filled with hard work and great rewards. Mucking out a stall and having a horse nuzzle your neck beats a video game any day.
    That is what makes the fair so great, all the personal items from the food people grow to the pie's they bake and the animals they show.

Another intersting thing that happened at the fair was that while I was petting that sweet piggy a little boy came up to me and asked me if I wanted to see his pig, which of course I was so honored to do.
    His name was Gordon and I petted his nose, rubbed his ears, his belly, his back and Gordon slept right through the whole thing. LOL The little boy was so cute and so proud of Gordon. He had 4 pigs in all.
    There was also I young girl who sat in the stall with her lamb and we talked for a bit.
    These young kids really love their animals and take great pride in showing them and have a deep love and respect for them. It is a wonderful life, filled with hard work and great rewards. Mucking out a stall and having a horse nuzzle your neck beats a video game any day.
    That is what makes the fair so great, all the personal items from the food people grow to the pie's they bake and the animals they show.
    I grew up on a farm and it was so hard, especially in the winter, early morning having to get out of bed when it was cold and dark and feed the animals before school. And then again at night, I remember the horses thumping the ice in their buckets to get to the water.
    The steam from their nostrols in the cold morning air and their sweet hello.
    The smell of fresh cut hay which to this day is one of my favorite smells of all time.
    I also remember those darn horseflys chasing me, bitting the heck of me.
    How very very dark it is at night and sometimes lonely.
    How far one has to drive for the simplest things.
    How there are no cultual events near, no sports events, science events, musuems, festivals.
    Also first rate medical care is often far away, airports etc.
    yes I loved the country but the convience of the burg or the city is more my style now.

Thank you. It was very hard for me to go back that first time but I know she would want me to go. In fact I am sure she wanted me to go every year and see the animals, she so enjoyed it that last time. I remember how the sheep and goats loved her.
    She died in 94 but I miss her so much. Every day I miss my mom.
    I was so lucky to have such a kind sweet little mommy. Only 5.1 and about 97 lbs she was as small as she was good and kind. Even with all the bad in her life she would look to the positive.
    Funny how some people can go through hell and back and come out kind, smart and sane and some become evil and murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I think having a fun event (for you, the Fair) as the last place you saw your mom is a very nice memory! And I LOVE you having an elephant's ear for her lol

Blog Entries
    Marigold what are those elephant ears? Sorry to read about your mom. She was a tiny petite lady like my mom, same as your mom a tiny person with a big .

You were a country girl so got to experience life on the good old farm. I was a city girl & ended up out in the country on a farm. The love of horses is the cause of it, along with our boys going to a country school.

After I was reminded of elephant ears I went googling and found a recipe that sounds so easy!! Elephant Ears

Oh thank you I think I shall try that. My new oven comes tomorrow, am excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2 View Post
    Mucking out a stall and having a horse nuzzle your neck beats a video game any day.
    Hear, HEAR!!