Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: breed advice please!

breed advice please!

So, I have a list of breeds that I would like to own in the future (not all at the same time of course ) & I would love to get some info on them. If you have any tips about owning any of these breeds, or just things you think I should know before purchasing one, please let me know! Here are the breeds:

Alaskan Malamute
    Australian Cattle Dog
    Australian Shepherd
    Basset Hound
    Beagle
    Bernese Mountain Dog
    Border Collie
    Bulldog
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
    Chihuahua
    Corgi
    Dachshund
    Doberman
    French Bulldog
    German Shorthaired Pointer
    German Shepherd
    Great Dane
    Husky
    Jack Russell
    Lab
    Mastiff
    Newfoundland
    Pit Bull
    Pomeranian
    Rottweiler
    St. Bernard
    Shetland Sheepdog
    Shiba Inu

**Just to let you guys know, I have done prior research on these breeds, I just want to get as much info as possible. I have also owned some of these breeds myself. The breeds I have owned are Beagle, Pomeranian & Shiba Inu. I've had experiences with most of the other breeds, but have never owned one myself.**
    Last edited by charlie116; 09-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Ask me all about Corgi and German Shepherds.

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    Ask me all about Corgi and German Shepherds.
    Let me know anything you're willing to share

that's quite a variety I admire your passion.

Great Danes are big lovable goofballs - you have to be careful about when they eat, and when they get exercise as they are susceptible to bloat, which can be fatal. So no playtime or running around right after they eat. Things to watch for are hip dysplasia - if you are getting a puppy, ask if the parents' hips have been checked. Be willing to spend time training them when they are still small, or you will have an unruly teenager who can out run you and is stronger than you, and less willing to take direction. They can be a tad stubborn, and are usually quite sure they are "lap dogs," so just be aware of that! They can be alternately sensitive and oblivious, just be persistent and consistent in training.

Saint Bernards - if you can't stand drool, don't get a Saint Bernard, it's that simple. Sweet, sensitive and real "people dogs," you'll hurt them more with yelling than if you actually hit them. There is no sigh deeper than a sulking Saint's sigh. Again, training should begin right away, leash training and not jumping up and crucial for these dogs. Great swimmers - with webbed paws that also are good snowshoes, they tend to like cooler rather than hotter temperatures, and can get heat rash in summer, so be careful, and attentive. Wonderful dogs - IF you can tolerate drool.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Great Danes are big lovable goofballs - you have to be careful about when they eat, and when they get exercise as they are susceptible to bloat, which can be fatal. So no playtime or running around right after they eat. Things to watch for are hip dysplasia - if you are getting a puppy, ask if the parents' hips have been checked. Be willing to spend time training them when they are still small, or you will have an unruly teenager who can out run you and is stronger than you, and less willing to take direction. They can be a tad stubborn, and are usually quite sure they are "lap dogs," so just be aware of that! They can be alternately sensitive and oblivious, just be persistent and consistent in training.

Saint Bernards - if you can't stand drool, don't get a Saint Bernard, it's that simple. Sweet, sensitive and real "people dogs," you'll hurt them more with yelling than if you actually hit them. There is no sigh deeper than a sulking Saint's sigh. Again, training should begin right away, leash training and not jumping up and crucial for these dogs. Great swimmers - with webbed paws that also are good snowshoes, they tend to like cooler rather than hotter temperatures, and can get heat rash in summer, so be careful, and attentive. Wonderful dogs - IF you can tolerate drool.
    Question: How long should I wait to let my Great Dane run around after they eat? Do I have to restrain them or anything? Or just not exercise them (like take on a walk or let them outside)?
    & I had no idea that St. Bernards could swim!!!

you´ve got quite a selection there.. mnay many different traits, sizes, etc..

unless you get like 3-4 at a time I see it hard to own every one of them.. lol..

working breeds
    hound breeds
    toy breeds
    terrier breeds
    sporting breeds

wow.. very nice ones though..

my input would be huskies and poms.. but since you´ve already had poms.. here´s my say on huskies:

if you can handle the hair (which is like a pom only like zillion times more..lol).. the howling, digging.. you don´t mind an independent dog, very smart for their own good, incredible rubber-body escapists.. they are awesome.. they can be very stubborn but yet incredibly loyal and lovable.. but beware.. never EVER EVER trust one off-leash.. these dogs are made to run and WILL run until the end of the world if allowed to.. no matter how trained they are.. even if you trust them enough there´s always one time they didn´t listen and ran off... they are high prey drive dogs too.. so introduction with small pets is very very important thing.. if you don´t want to end having your lil pet as food..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

feel free to correct me if wrong.. but I´ll input some traits, behaviours I think are predominant in some breeds that were listed..

Quote Originally Posted by charlie116 View Post
    Alaskan Malamute: pretty much like huskies but bigger and goofier
    Australian Cattle Dog: always need to herd something
    Basset Hound/ Beagle: howlers, barkers, due to being hounds.. it´s their job
    Border Collie: NEED an occupied mind ALWAYS..
    Bulldog: they snore.. lol
    Jack Russell: diggers.. just as any terrier.. their job again
    Mastiff/Newfounland: big slobbery goofballs
    Shetland Sheepdog: can tend to be hi-pitched barkers also
    I think it really depends what you are looking in a dog or for what you want it/need it..
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

You can learn quite a bit about each breed from their AKC Club.

For instance, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have a lot of genetic defects due to improper breeding (my groomer shows them, she owns 5). Plan on a separate bank account for your vet!

Some are going to need a lot of attention to the coat. Most are going to need obedience classes, although as you go through life and own first one and then another, you will become a good alpha leader. Border Collies need a job, or they will be in trouble constantly, and will try to herd cars.

Question: How long should I wait to let my Great Dane run around after they eat? Do I have to restrain them or anything? Or just not exercise them (like take on a walk or let them outside)?
    & I had no idea that St. Bernards could swim!!!
    They should be kept calm for an hour after eating - if you are potting training, take them out on a leash, and then back inside for relaxing time, to give their food time to digest. You don't need to restrain them, just keep it calm after they eat. Make it into a habit, and it will service them well for life. This is true of many breeds that are large dogs with deep chests.

Oh, goodness, most Saints I have met or known LOVE the water - unless it is b-a-t-h-t-i-m-e.
    I've Been Frosted

They should be kept calm for an hour after eating - if you are potting training, take them out on a leash, and then back inside for relaxing time, to give their food time to digest. You don't need to restrain them, just keep it calm after they eat. Make it into a habit, and it will service them well for life. This is true of many breeds that are large dogs with deep chests.

Oh, goodness, most Saints I have met or known LOVE the water - unless it is b-a-t-h-t-i-m-e.
    Are there any other breeds on my list that are prone to bloating, or should be calm after eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    you´ve got quite a selection there.. mnay many different traits, sizes, etc..

unless you get like 3-4 at a time I see it hard to own every one of them.. lol..

working breeds
    hound breeds
    toy breeds
    terrier breeds
    sporting breeds

wow.. very nice ones though..

my input would be huskies and poms.. but since you´ve already had poms.. here´s my say on huskies:

if you can handle the hair (which is like a pom only like zillion times more..lol).. the howling, digging.. you don´t mind an independent dog, very smart for their own good, incredible rubber-body escapists.. they are awesome.. they can be very stubborn but yet incredibly loyal and lovable.. but beware.. never EVER EVER trust one off-leash.. these dogs are made to run and WILL run until the end of the world if allowed to.. no matter how trained they are.. even if you trust them enough there´s always one time they didn´t listen and ran off... they are high prey drive dogs too.. so introduction with small pets is very very important thing.. if you don´t want to end having your lil pet as food..
    yea, my boyfriend has 2 huskies & boy are they hyper! but, I love their personalities. once they calm down, they're so friendly & cuddly. I love how vocal they are too. I believe that with the proper training & a good exercise regiment, they can be great pets!

Are there any other breeds on my list that are prone to bloating, or should be calm after eating?
    Any of the large breeds, but especially Mastiffs and Rottweilers when they are growing pups, and the Saints and Newf just keep an eye out and be aware.
    I've Been Frosted

also Dobermans... for the bloating.. they have dep chests..

and yes.. huskies are awesome pets

notes-to-my-husband blog

Any of the large breeds, but especially Mastiffs and Rottweilers when they are growing pups, and the Saints and Newf just keep an eye out and be aware.
    I also read that big dogs shouldn't be exercised too much before their limbs are fully developed or they may form abnormalities. Is that true?