View Poll Results: Do your cats use their cat tree? (For laying in, scratching, etc)

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 84.38%
  • No

3 9.38%
  • Other

2 6.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you have a cat tree, do your cats use it?

We have 3, 2 home made 1 I made has 5 cubbies in it, the other home made was given to us as was the commercial one. All three are always full.
    GILL & Crew;

I don't have a cat tree but I did add a platform to the top of one of my 30-inch scratching posts and put a table between the 2 posts. That way they can look out the window. As far as scratching goes, some cats are very picky about carpet types. The 2 posts I got came from online but my boys didn't like the type of carpet that was on them (cut pile or shag). I knew they loved the loopy type carpet so I covered both posts in this material and they use the posts exclusively now- no scratching on furniture. I have a wavy scratcher board that has some sisal on it, but they seem to like the carpet or cardboard types better.

I'm sure that your cats will like laying and playing on the tree, but the scratch-ability is kinda up to them. If it was me I'd get a few cheap scratching posts with different materials on them before I spent a big wad of money on a tree...if scratching is the main issue for its purchase. But that's just me... and I'm cheap, LOL

Ditto on all above. Most important?

Location. Location. Location.

Mine ignored their first tree until I placed it so they were the center of attention. The other smaller trees are by windows and in the center hall.

I routinely scent the trees with nip. And the sisal rope saves the furniture.

Also mine seem to like the half-pipe better than the flat surface. It's more like a box.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks! It seems the answer is an overwhelming YES to a cat tree.

I haven't quite decided which one to get yet but I want it to be tall with at least 3 areas for cats to sit/lay. I have a few weeks before I can afford to buy one so hopefully I can find a good deal in that time.

katladyd- Can you just redo the one they wore out? I recovered my babies tree that we made them..

Pembroke_Corgi- If you have someone to help you build one you can get a lot more bang for your bucks... A lot of those electrical places have those big wooden spool they will just give away.. add a section of 4 X 4 a smaller wooden spool circle, cover and you got it! Or build what you think you need... This is one that a buddie helped me build for mine and I recently redid it.. Cost me about $100 for materials to build it.

You can see how much lighter the new sissel rope is than the old. I had carpet there and it got totally shredded so I put all sissel rope on it. That perch Giz is on is 2ft from the floor, the next one is 3ft from the floor and the other one is at window level.. I tell you right now, like they said LOCATION is everything. Put it where the sun shines in at least part of the day.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

[QUOTE=Laura's Babies;2292220]katladyd- Can you just redo the one they wore out? I recovered my babies tree that we made them..

Pembroke_Corgi- If you have someone to help you build one you can get a lot more bang for your bucks... A lot of those electrical places have those big wooden spool they will just give away.. add a section of 4 X 4 a smaller wooden spool circle, cover and you got it! Or build what you think you need... This is one that a buddie helped me build for mine and I recently redid it.. Cost me about $100 for materials to build it.

It is not the scratching material that concerns me, that is worn, but I know it can be replaced. I just have a 20 lb. Ming jumping and climbing on it all the time. The screws are so loose they can no longer be tightened. The darn thing tips all the time. I want a brand new one, anyway. I've had this one for about 8 years now. But thanks for the suggestion.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I bought my 7' cat tree on ebay as well as the similar smaller looking one that I put next to it. The rest I either bought at cat shows,Big Lots, or pet stores. Here are a few old pictures of them. I've had the 7' cat tree since Jan.2003 and I got the smaller similar looking one a little while after that. Both are still going strong. I've only had to add some sisal rope to them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cats On New Cat Tree 005-cropped.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	45888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Cat Pics-March27,2004 005.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	45889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Pictures Of Cats-March 26,2006 004-cropped&resized.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	45890  

I wanted to add: YOU are going to enjoy this as well. Nothing more entertaining than watching a cat watching the world go by. Those ears twitch and flick, turn this way and that. And the moment something grabs kitty's attention, everything seems to just STOP!

And of course, nothing more amusing and calming that observing your kitty enjoying a sunbeam, lol.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    My son's fuddy-duddy cats barely look at theirs, and it's a nice high one and by a window where they can see outside too. Once in a while one or the other will climb up to the top lounging area for a snooze, but not all that often. We've even sprayed it with catnip. My son was thinking of donating it to a local cat rescue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

The Fur Posse have several, two of which are in front of windows in the enclosed patio but they don't get used much. It's almost always Yodie and Coco Puff who sleep in them during the day. There are others in the basement and they sleep in them at night but, honestly, they prefer spots that appear to be uncomfortable for sleeping. Coco sleeps on top of a bunch of catnip mice that are in their little toy box. It's lumpy but he seems to prefer it. Yodie sleeps on the shelf underneath the patio room TV. It's very small because the TV is very small but that's ok w/her. Who can understand why they do the things they do?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11