The recent threads on Islam and the cultures associated with it got me thinking.

Since the devastating floods in Pakistan, many disaster relief organisations have been surprised and saddened by the inadequate level of response from the rest of the world. Countries have been called on again and again, by the DEC and the UN, to once again show the generosity that emerged for the 2004 tsunami, and the Haitian earthquake.

Since reading some of the opressing and, I will go as far to say, rather distorted, viewpoints towards Muslims, I began to wonder if the slow response is down the this feeling that is seemingly more prevalent in the West than I had imagined.

Do we honestly think twice before reaching to our pockets, because, in the back of our minds, we see Pakistan as a country which embodies a religion to be feared, and to be pushed away? Because we don't agree with what we see as an outdated culture? Because we believe it to be a spawning-ground for terrorism? And thus, do these concerns overwhelm our conscience?

I've been donating through my workplace, since I know that the money I give there will definitely go to the appeal and not to line someone else's pocket.

Of course, circumstances do not always allow good-intending folk to be charitable, but I would be interested to know who donated to Haiti and whether their decision was any different with regards to Pakistan.

Your thoughts, please.