Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older Cars

Older Cars

Hey guys, it's been awhile, but I have a few questions I need to ask and I figure some people may have experiences with older cars (1985, specifically). I found a 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT for sale near me, it's about $7k. It has about 19,000 miles on it, which is what got me so excited. It's a beauty for sure, almost completely restored (aside from the engine and transmission). The reason for the low mileage is because it was used as a weekend car, like a joy-riding car. Someone bought it and serviced the brakes & A/C, new wheels, resealed the sunroof and put in an all new cooling system. No dents to the exterior and the interior is in great shape. My question is, in the long run would this car be worth it? My dad is skeptical because of it's age. He said if one thing goes, it'll be expensive to fix, but I love it. It's a gorgeous car.

I am almost positive I am not getting this car, but I am a nut for older Pontiac's, especially Fiero's and Trans am. I found a 1993 Grand Prix, alot of miles though and a really nice 2003 Sunfire.

So I am wondering, in your experiences, is an older car going to become a burden to take care of and service? and also, what's the insurance payments like? I believe this would be insured as a classic?

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I would be quite skeptical about that 19,000 mile figure.
    Cosmetically it looks good, but with any older car, it would be wise to have a reputable mechanic check it out thoroughly before you sign on the dotted line. It would probably be less in maintenance if it is in good condition, since everything on it isn't electronic like the newer cars. If parts would be needed, any dealership or mechanic could order them if they didn't have what you needed in stock.
    Don't know what insurance would be like tho.
    Good luck on your car shopping. I think this one looks pretty nice tho, if it is mechanically sound.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

The Fiero is a very nice looking car. I considered buying one many years ago but decided later that it would be a mistake for me. The car because of it's design has problems with the cooling system, and if not careful with oil levels, in crank, is proned to catching fire. The 7k price tag is high based on my research. The 86+ models are only bringing 5k. I would be suspect of the this low mileage on a 25 year old car.

Unless you plan to be your own mechanic then this car will cost you bigtime when you take it to a mechanic. My suggestion, listen to DAD.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I kind of expected these responses to be honest. I actually read about that last night, kokopup, not a big fan of engine fires. I am probably going to wind up listening to Dad, considering he knows more about cars then me. My dad said he loves the car, but he doesn't see it as practical based on it's age. He had a Bonneville that last for 18 years before my brother junked it in 1999, and my dad was upset about it. He said it was a great car, he love Pontiac's so I am glad he's not completely against Pontiacs. I figured it's more expensive because they put alot of money into the car and because of the low mileage. I guess I was hoping everyone would say it would be practical, and deep down I know it's not but I love Fieros, they're so sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    The Fiero is a very nice looking car. I considered buying one many years ago but decided later that it would be a mistake for me. The car because of it's design has problems with the cooling system, and if not careful with oil levels, in crank, is proned to catching fire. The 7k price tag is high based on my research. The 86+ models are only bringing 5k. I would be suspect of the this low mileage on a 25 year old car.

Unless you plan to be your own mechanic then this car will cost you bigtime when you take it to a mechanic. My suggestion, listen to DAD.
    Hey - thanks Bill. I thought I remembered there being a problem with the Fiero, but I couldn't recall what it was. I almost bought one also, and knew there was some reason that I didn't in the end.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Before you buy any older car, check the carfax to make sure it wasn't a flood recovered car, etc., and make sure you have a trusted mechanic check it over completely and tell you what issues you are likely to face in terms of future expenses. I am not cure how old a car has to be to be insured as a :classic," and there may be mileage limitations - insurance things vary state to state, so again, find a trusted insurance agent to deal with.
    I've Been Frosted

I too find it suspect. That only works out to 30 miles a week over the 25 years. I think that's really unlikely. You can get a newer car for $7.0. I JUST made my last payment on my 2005 Saturn and it's a relief to OWN my car! I think between car payments and repairs you'll regret it. I'm sort of paranoid about getting "stuck" with a car in some far location so reliability is a must and I'd be nervous with this one.
    Claudia

Gorgeous looking car. I was about to say, as a young driver, how would you cope with it? Then I remembered that American road systems are so much more forgiving than our higgledy-piggledy, older roads! My goodness, I have trouble manoeuvring a little Renault about where I live.

How much would you be looking at to insure it? I drive my mum's Ford when she's not using it and my insurance was ridiculous. Sadly got to thank so many people my age driving like maniacs and smashing into things for that.

Hope you find a car to suit you soon.

Zimbabwe 07/13

I do have to say I once had a car that was 13 years old, and had less than 15,000 miles on it when I got it. It was mainly driven once a week - the owner's daughter would take the bus to her mother's house, then drive her to the grocery store using this car, that was the only time it moved!
    I've Been Frosted

Get the carfax report before proceeding!

You should do this on any used car.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post

what he said.. to me for another 1k you could get a much smaller but 2009-2010 new car.. at least here

the mileage is way low.. but could be if it was used as said... but very very rarely...

and as for parts.. while old car parts are less pricey (sometimes) they often get just as pricey as new ones being that they need to be special ordered as with so many new cars out many places don´t really stock them now.. and while this one is not as old it could be a bit like that..

I hope you find the car you like and is in great shape..especially a girl needs a very reliable car... no one wants to be stuck in the middle of nowhere but for a girl it might be less thrilling I´m sure..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_mom View Post
    what he said.. to me for another 1k you could get a much smaller but 2009-2010 new car.. at least here
    Yikes - not here, that's for sure. You might be able to get a fairly decent car in that year range for 20K if you're lucky, and depending what area of the country you live in.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I have a 1999 Civic, with 175,000....are you interested? LOL...

I have someone who offered to buy me a brand new car actually, but I don't want a totally new one as weird as the sounds. I'll be scared as hell to drive it and the insurance won't be fun to pay monthly either. A 17 year old driver driving a brand new car, I think not.

I actually checked out the Carfax report for this one, it looks clean, but still skeptical. I doubt my parents will let me get it. They want me to have a reliable car.

LOL Husky_mom, you can't get a new car for less then 18k here. If that were the case I'd have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis at this point. Yeah, I've never been stuck on the side of the road alone before, but that would be a bit scary.

Cataholic, Lower the miles a little and we have a deal.

Zara, yeah the insurance is the real killer in the end I think. I'm not positive what this particular car would cost in insurance but all the cars I tend to be interested in are in the category 'Sports car' and that'd be a killer especially with a 17 year old driver -_- My insurance right now is not terrible, I only drive 2 cars out of our 3. I will never drive that huge Navigator my mom has. My Dad's car is under 'Sports car' category thanks to the engine and I share a Saturn with my sister most of the time. My dad can have a sports car, but I can't. Go figure. :P

Go to an autoparts store and get a flat scrwedriver and a manual for the car you want.

CHeck out the schematic for the ignition wiring and memorize it.

Go to the local mall and find the model you want and it's yours for the cost of the screwdriver and the manual.

Just kidding, do your homework and buy a toyota. change the oil and it will run forever.