Thread: I rode bareback for the first time!

I rode bareback for the first time!

Sure, I've cooled out bareback plenty of times...but yesterday I actually rode bareback for the first time. Ever. It was AMAZING!

So...I went out to the barn at about 3, and I got home at 9 hahah.

I rode Scooter for my lesson. We jumped 2'6" AND got through the combination without any refusals or unintentional dismounts! [thank you everyone who gave me advice - I just kept my leg on and viola, he went over!] Everyone watching said that I rode him very well I'm starting to love that horse again - he's so sweet! Of course...I'm losing "my golden boy" as people at the barn were calling him next week to a rider at six, haha.

ANYWAYS...after my lesson I sat on the mounting block and watched my friend jump "her" horse 3'6". This was amazing because when she started working with him, he would hardly jump 2'!

After that...I watched the 6:00 lesson with my other friend on Twiggy [ugh. hate that horse.] and when she was riding around bareback afterwards, I made some sort of comment about how jealous i was, which lead to my trainer saying I could riding Joey around bareback if I wanted!

Bareback was....interesting. Walking I was fine...but when we picked up the trot [Joey does have extremely bouncy gaits...he's a little pony!] I thought I was gonna slide off the side. I got used to it quickly though and it was so fun! I'm not gonna lie...I was scared to canter hah. But I did, and Joey's canter is amazingly smooth, and I loved it! Joey's such a good pony I luff him.

After the last lesson of the day was over, we went in the indoor arena and jumped courses on foot. I did a 3' course with a 3' oxer..I thought I was going to die hahaha. Everyone else was jumping like 3'6" and 4'...I'm too much of a wimp.

Anyways...my mom wasn't there so no new videos/pictures...but...

Here's the pony I rode bareback:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Hdlk4YD7I

...yeah, I looked a little ridiculous on him bareback haha. But it was totally worth it, even with his REALLY bony spine!

And then here's Scoot!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxdkQ19zjw
    2'6"

3' [eww please ignore me! We had a bit of a disagreement on our distance and got in really deep, hahaha]

^^I jumped both of those at their current heights yesterday. On the 3' I didn't think I was gonna get over, cause I leapt from a mile away. Did you know it's possible to refuse on yourself?
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

WOW! bare back. I'd love to do it but don't have a horse. I used to in a horse riding club but it wasn't bareback.

Oh good heavens Melanie! We don't need you falling off a horse!!!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    WOW! bare back. I'd love to do it but don't have a horse. I used to in a horse riding club but it wasn't bareback.
    haha I don't have a horse either, I'm just lucky to ride at such an awesome barn

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    Oh good heavens Melanie! We don't need you falling off a horse!!!
    don't you mean, falling off a horse again? hehe. At least off Joey it wouldn't have been a long fall!

Well, its near your home at least, right? We have to drive there and I was only able to ride because it was a notice from school. We were given a chance to do horse riding. I came 2nd!!

That's awesome! Next step: jumping bareback!

Niņo & Eliza

Well, its near your home at least, right? We have to drive there and I was only able to ride because it was a notice from school. We were given a chance to do horse riding. I came 2nd!!
    yeah, it's a 15 minute drive. That's aweseome!

Quote Originally Posted by Suki Wingy View Post
    That's awesome! Next step: jumping bareback!
    I totally would have jumped, had my coach let me I have no fear on that pony, haha. Now...if I were told to ride Scooter bareback, I'd probably pass. But he's a speedy little monster.

Melanie, I guess that the Horse riding club where I used to go is nearer. Because its a 10 min drive. Well, I can't go there now because the riding was a school extra curricular activity. I hope they have it again!

I think I was 8 first time I rode bareback. Tilly was big even for a Morgan and not the best gait for riding anyway, it was like riding a keg down a bumpy road. Needless to say I fell off.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Melanie, I guess that the Horse riding club where I used to go is nearer. Because its a 10 min drive. Well, I can't go there now because the riding was a school extra curricular activity. I hope they have it again!
    aww, that stinks. I hope you get to ride again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I think I was 8 first time I rode bareback. Tilly was big even for a Morgan and not the best gait for riding anyway, it was like riding a keg down a bumpy road. Needless to say I fell off.
    hahaha! It was like the opposite with Joey and I...he's tiny and I'm tall and he's got smooth gaits [for a pony]

Their was a Shetland pony on a different farm years later that had a great gait but a bad attitude, I again had my but on the ground.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.