Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MRI Results are in....UPDATE 8/30

MRI Results are in....UPDATE 8/30

First let me warn you not to panic! The words are frightening to a lot of people..(including me!) I was caught completely off guard by what they found, NEVER expected ANYTHING like this... I was just thinking something would show up in my ear that a quick surgical procedure could fix and I could get on with my life...

The MRI showed a Memingioma tumor on my brain. Very small, they are slow growing and usually benign . Mine is 1.0Cm. My ENT is sending all my records to a neurosurgeon and they should call me next week with an appointment. THAT is all I know right now..

I was upset at hearing the words when they told me.. She had me write it down and I looked it up and what I found is VERY encouraging so I am not in panic mode..

All my family know now so I can tell all my online friends/family..
    Last edited by Laura's Babies; 08-30-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Don't worry too much - I had a brain tumor myself, it was an acoustic neuroma, and it was removed over ten years ago. Like yours, it was small and slow-growing and usually benign, but I was glad to get rid of it before it could do more damage. I am now deaf on one side, but I don't drool or have half my face unresponsive, so I was fortunate!

And if they send you to Boston for your surgery - dunno how uncommon your type is - let me know!
    I've Been Frosted

Well, if you won't worry, then neither will I, Laura, since it is you that it's happening to. But you'd better keep us all UTD, girl, or I'll be naggin' ya!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    NEVER expected ANYTHING like this...
    Oh WOW! Not what I ever expected you to write either~!

OK, if you say this is not time for panic, I'll abide by that.

Prayers rom RI that they do what they gotta do, and you feel better quickly!

Like I told you on the phone, my phone is on 24/7. Don't hesitate to call anytime day or night.

I also have someone else here on PT that wants me to PM you with his #. He has an extra shoulder and ear he'd like to extend to you.

You'll get through this, Laura. Hell, look at my kid. She's a 19 year survivor of a brain tumor. You've got alot of people who love you and are pulling for you. Like Karen said, if you're not fretting over it, I won't either.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thoughts and prayers going out to you, Laura.
    {{{{{LAURA}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Laura's type of tumor is on the dura - the stuff that is between the brain and the skull. Mine was actually on the hearing nerve, so also next to but not inside the brain. Laura if we ever meet in person we can compare scars! One great side effect of mine is I no longer get motion sick at all, and I used to ALL the time as a kid, and even as a adult. So, I am half deaf, but hey, I probably won't throw up on you if you're next to me on a boat or ferris wheel now! I hope it takes away your vertigo completely!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Laura if we ever meet in person we can compare scars!
    That's if you can find the scar. Nowadays they don't shave heads, or even large patches, unless it's a case of head trauma.

They part the hair where the incision will be made, then tape it down. Then they shave a strip 1/8th to 1/16th inch in width. So when it's all done, you can just comb your hair over the incision - and it won't show. Be careful of those staples, though. Your comb might catch on one.

Ok, Laura, I respect your wishes not to fret, but I admit, I will just a bit-it's what I do best. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, but having had my share of surgeries, it's always a bit scary. Besides, you're part of my PT family, right?

I've been Boooo'd!

A friend of mine on FB had the same tumour - she had been having mild seizures. I guess depending on where these little suckers show up, they affect different things (obviously).

Were you told what area of your brain it is in?

HUGS!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    That's if you can find the scar. Nowadays they don't shave heads, or even large patches, unless it's a case of head trauma.

They part the hair where the incision will be made, then tape it down. Then they shave a strip 1/8th to 1/16th inch in width. So when it's all done, you can just comb your hair over the incision - and it won't show. Be careful of those staples, though. Your comb might catch on one.
    I had stitches, not staples, and they did shave almost half my head, but left enough so that my hair would cover the area when it was down. In my case they needed to cut a square "hatch" behind my ear, the scar extends down my neck a bit. This was done 14 years ago this September, so things may have changed since then, but as they needed to cut a square, it would have been more than a simple line anyway. And as the surgery was mid-September, so for Halloween, I pulled my hair back and spirit glued plastic bugs near the scar, which freaked some people out pretty nicely. It was kind of funny, as when I was out that day, before I had added the bugs and just had my hair pulled back, I heard one older man snidely say "Check out THAT haircut ..." to his companion. I turned and looked him in the eye and said, "Hey, I just had brain surgery 5 weeks ago!" He turned bright red and mumbled an apology.
    I've Been Frosted

Laura, I'm sure you were in shock as I was when I read this but at least you now know what's going on and I hope that your surgery will go well and that you'll recover quickly too. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Were you told what area of your brain it is in?
    I don't know, the nurse that called just said it is there..

Meningiomas are tumors that originate from the meninges which are membrane-like structures that surround the brain and spinal cord.
    The dura, which is the outermost (and toughest) of the meninges covers the entire interior of the skull and invaginates into the brain creating "dural folds" and compartments within the interior of the skull such as the falx cerebri which separates the right side of the brain from the left side and the tentorium cerebelli which forms a "tent" that separates the cerebrum from the infratentorial space that contains the cerebellum and the brainstem within the posterior cranial fossa.

Typically, meningiomas are benign and slow-growing tumors, but instances of malignancy have been reported. Only about 10% of meningiomas occur in the spinal cord, while the majority occur intracranially. Intracranial meningiomas may occur in variable locations of the brain as dural-based, dome-shaped, round or oval, solitary masses. Rarely multiple concurrent meningiomas occur simultaneously in different locations of the brain. An unusual appearance for meningioma, called meningioma-en-plaque, has a flattened appearance that conforms to the curves of the brain and the inside of the skull.

Meningiomas represent the second most common type of tumor of the brain, accounting for approximately 20% of all primary intracranial tumors in adults. They are most common between the ages of 40 and 70 and they are more common in women than in men. Among middle-aged patients, there is a marked female predominance, with a female:male ratio of approximately 3:1. Meningiomas are extremely rare in children and only 1.5% of the total cases of meningiomas occur in the pediatric population.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Laura just wanted you to know i am thinking of you and wishing you all the best for your future surgery, i must admit it was a real shock to read your thread, as i am sure it must have really been to you .

It sounds very positive and that you will be just fine,take much care and HUGS.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Laura - sending prayers and good vibes out to you, that the surgery will be successful, and you bounce back to your old self in no time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~